Moonlight SCT focuser question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

I am about to pull the trigger on a MoonLite CS Model SCT Focusers (Flange=3 1/4" Meade Thread Regular Profile Drawtube=.85" travel Brass comp ring Color=Blue Knob/Motor=High Res Stepper Motor w/MoonLite Mini V2 Controller.

This will be for my 14" LX850. I intend to control focus using my PC via The Sky X Pro.

Have I made an acceptable choice here? Any pitfalls I should know of?
Thanks

#2 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

That's the focuser I have on my AT12RC. It's plenty strong enough for my QSI camera; I think you have one as well. For a significantly heavier camera, or an 8 position 2" filter wheel, the CSL version would be better.

BTW - that focuser is now available with a rotator, too (saw one last weekend). You might consider that...

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

That's the focuser I have on my AT12RC. It's plenty strong enough for my QSI camera; I think you have one as well. For a significantly heavier camera, or an 8 position 2" filter wheel, the CSL version would be better.

BTW - that focuser is now available with a rotator, too (saw one last weekend). You might consider that...

See this is why I posted this. I would have bought the wrong thing! I'll call them tomorrow and talk about it with them. I also need to buy a focuser for my refractor. Oh well, it's only money.

#4 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Have you considered their hi-res stepper motor option? It makes fine focusing a dream.
Michael

#5 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Have you considered their hi-res stepper motor option? It makes fine focusing a dream.
Michael

Yes, see my original post.

Now John has me buying the CSL version and tomorrow I am going to call and ask about the rotator.

#6 PGW Steve

PGW Steve

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg, Canada

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

I've got the CSL on my 14", well worth it! The little clutch is super handy for visual!

#7 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Good to hear. I just got permission from my wife to make the purchase.

#8 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:03 PM

Now John has me buying the CSL version

I wasn't trying to push you into anything! :lol:

I've owned several of each (CS and CSL) and all have done a great job. I have owned some cameras (like the STL-11K with 8 pos 2" wheel) that needed the CSL but with my QSI683WSG-8 the CS focuser I had lying around works fine (just had them make me a flange to fit the RC). Now I have to decide whether to update by adding the rotator.

#9 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

AAAA++++ for the Moonlite. I had one on my LX200 10", with the FR threading, DC motor, and it was awesome. I really recommend the stepper option, with your new rig, the 200 or so bucks is well worth it.

Ron Newman is owner/designer/salesman......call the # on the site, chances are he will answer the phone. His support is fantastic, and he knows his way around the skies. Ask if he has any blems left over from NEAF.....save a few bucks on a nearly invisible surface anomaly!

By all means, make sure you have the PC/USB focus integration......

Andy

#10 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:48 PM

Now John has me buying the CSL version

I wasn't trying to push you into anything! :lol:

I've owned several of each (CS and CSL) and all have done a great job. I have owned some cameras (like the STL-11K with 8 pos 2" wheel) that needed the CSL but with my QSI683WSG-8 the CS focuser I had lying around works fine (just had them make me a flange to fit the RC). Now I have to decide whether to update by adding the rotator.

I know but you are right. The cost difference isn't very much considering everything.

#11 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:49 PM

AAAA++++ for the Moonlite. I had one on my LX200 10", with the FR threading, DC motor, and it was awesome. I really recommend the stepper option, with your new rig, the 200 or so bucks is well worth it.

Ron Newman is owner/designer/salesman......call the # on the site, chances are he will answer the phone. His support is fantastic, and he knows his way around the skies. Ask if he has any blems left over from NEAF.....save a few bucks on a nearly invisible surface anomaly!

By all means, make sure you have the PC/USB focus integration......

Andy

Great advice! The more I save the more I can put towards the MCX!!

#12 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

CLS with rotator ordered!! Ron is awesome to deal with like others have said. Very excited to get this focuser/rotator.

#13 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Sweet! Put up some pics when you get it installed. Those Moonlights are lovely.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics