Photo

Betelgeuse Blows (see the link in my post)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Interesting article on Bad Astronomy. Betelgeuse blew out a huge amount of gas materials that extends out to Neptune's orbit. The mass is about 2/3 the mass of the earth. As stated, Betel is spewing out its outer layers as it continues to evolve. Here is the link.

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

Betelgeuse blew out a huge amount of gas materials that extends out to Neptune's orbit.

:shocked: I hope that is a typo or we're in deep trouble now!

:grin: ;)

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#3 Nick Anderson

Nick Anderson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

The title had me nervous there for a second...while I'd love a Milky Way supernova, I'd hate to see a unsymmetrical "Betelgeuse-less" Orion!

-Nick Anderson

#4 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think I could live with a supernova remnant quite visible to the naked eye in Betelgeuse's old position in Orion. With the Crab some 6300 light years away and Betelgeuse about 700 LY, one imagines that the "new crab" would be quite spectacular for many centuries. Instead of a shoulder Orion would have a very visible corsage!

#5 Nick Anderson

Nick Anderson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

I think I could live with a supernova remnant quite visible to the naked eye in Betelgeuse's old position in Orion. With the Crab some 6300 light years away and Betelgeuse about 700 LY, one imagines that the "new crab" would be quite spectacular for many centuries. Instead of a shoulder Orion would have a very visible corsage!

You raise a valid point!

-Nick Anderson

#6 DJCalma

DJCalma

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

I had a dream that Betelgeuse produced a Gamma Ray Burst that annhilated every living thing on earth. The good news is that my dream took place in the year 48,540 AD, a time when most humans have relocated to a new star system 6.8 light years away. A K2 spectral classed dwarf system in the constellation of Cygnus.

#7 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

The ISS passed just above Betelgeuse at 8:51 p.m. EDT on Friday evening. Both exhibited a ruddy glow through the 15x70 binocular I was using to track the space station.

Dave Mitsky

#8 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

I had a dream that Betelgeuse produced a Gamma Ray Burst that annhilated every living thing on earth. The good news is that my dream took place in the year 48,540 AD, a time when most humans have relocated to a new star system 6.8 light years away. A K2 spectral classed dwarf system in the constellation of Cygnus.

If a supernova 700 light years away produces enough gamma rays to sterilize earth, moving just 6.8 light years away won't do much good.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#9 DJCalma

DJCalma

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:02 AM

Astrojensen, please don't confuse the situation with scientific facts. :grin:

#10 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

If a supernova 700 light years away produces enough gamma rays to sterilize earth, moving just 6.8 light years away won't do much good.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

In the poster's dream, the future version of himself 48,540 years from now also finds that the future version of the girl he had a mad crush on in high school who wouldn't have anything to do with him back then...instead is the one with a mad crush on him. You know what? It's a dream, so that won't do him much good either!
:grin:
I give the OP huge credit for dreaming about living on a spectral-class dwarf in Cygnus and watching a supernova destroy Earth rather than the more mundane dreams most of us have about being spectral-class idiots who find ourselves lost on the way to some final exam we're totally unprepared for...naked, about to have our GPA go supernova.

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

In the poster's dream, the future version of himself 48,540 years from now..

Speaking of dreams, if all goes as planned that's the same year I will have saved enough money to buy a 10" AP Mak.

#12 starbux

starbux

Messenger

• Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Actually, it might make a difference if that 6.8 light years is out of the line-of-fire. Gamma ray bursts being highly directional after all.

#13 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:53 AM

Actually, it might make a difference if that 6.8 light years is out of the line-of-fire. Gamma ray bursts being highly directional after all.

I don't think supernovae produce directional gamma ray bursts, but a broad shower of them, spreading equally in all directions. I read something about this once, but that was a decade ago, so I can't recall any details. There was an article in S&T about this.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#14 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hypernovae are believed to create directional gamma-ray bursts.

http://astro.berkele...bs/grbinfo.html

http://www.sciencedi...387647310000655

http://io9.com/58740...ight-have-ca...

Dave Mitsky

#15 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

In the poster's dream, the future version of himself 48,540 years from now..

Dang it! I was planning my retirement for exactly the year 50553. I could finally afford it by then.

#16 jmandell

jmandell

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

That thing needs to blow soon! I'm hoping that this might be the early signs of the boom!

#17 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Astrojensen, please don't confuse the situation with scientific facts. :grin:

Fox Science.....these are the people doing a Cosmos remake?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics