Photo

Best case to organize your accessories...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 JeffreyHorne

JeffreyHorne

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'm looking for a case to organize my eyepieces (15 or so), my camera adapters, A/C adapter, diagonals, visual backs, filters, etc.

Any suggestions? What are you using? Post some photos?

#2 beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

Have a look here pics of your cases for starters and there are many more examples if you search "case" in the eyepieces or equipment forums

Eric

#3 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

I would recommend a Wood Wonders case. http://www.wood-wond...om/Eyepiece.htm Ron will work with you to build what you want and the case works great! I ordered a case to house all the Ethos line of EPs in the middle and had him put in a 1 1/4 inch plate under one of the drawers for all my 1 1/4 EPs. The red light is a set of LEDs across the top that works very well. Give him a call or email him! Great work and great customer service!

#4 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm looking for a case to organize my eyepieces (15 or so), my camera adapters, A/C adapter, diagonals, visual backs, filters, etc.

Which eyepieces? 1.25 or 2 inchers or mixed?

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

Well, there's always buying a scope for each of the eyepieces to house them........ :lol:

I like the Pelican Storm cases. The Woodwonders are beautiful cases and well made....but if you're older, or not in good health, wood gets heavy pretty quickly.

#6 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Perhaps something from here?
http://www.mycasebuilder.com/

#7 Steve Daniel

Steve Daniel

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

Pelican cases or knockoffs. Sometimes to be had very reasonably on craigslist and ebay. With the foambymail.com pick-n-pluck insert, you can customize and get a lot of goods inside a Pelican 1600, which is what I use.

#8 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

I just have too much stuff for small cases. I use Pelican #1600 cases for most of my stuff. I have them organized for public outreach use. Here is one set up for use with 3 scope/mount combinations. I set up 5 or 6 scopes at a time and it takes 2 cases to outfit them.

Stan

Attached Files

#9 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Here's another...

Attached Files

#10 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

Try one of Orion's pluck accessory cases:

http://www.amazon.co...000XMTME/ref...

#11 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

I learned long ago that when buying an eyepiece/accessory case, get at least 50 percent larger than you need for your current gear, because there will ALWAYS be more . . .

#12 Rocketlawnchair

Rocketlawnchair

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, ON

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

I learned long ago that when buying an eyepiece/accessory case, get at least 50 percent larger than you need for your current gear, because there will ALWAYS be more . . .

Good advice Mike. You can outgrow a case pretty quickly, especially when just starting out and building your collection of eyepieces and accessories.

Of course, some of us never grow out of that phase...

#13 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

ok, best caseS to organize your accessories. :lol:

#14 woodworkt

woodworkt

Mariner 2

• Loc: Northern Virginia

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

I recommend splitting into two; one for eyepieces/items that need protection, and one (more of a soft-side/leather toolbag concept) for things like AC adapters, cables, allen wrenches, etc. That way you can maximize the use you can get out of whatever foam padded hard case you end up with for your delicate items, without carrying around bulk or weight you don't need.

Clear skies,
--Ken T.

#15 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I got fed up with lugging multiple cases around so optimise dmy gear down to what I REALLY need and then built a single case that would hold everything. Eyepieces, finder, cables, controllers - the whole schtick - even a collimator and some tools.

Whole thing was made out of a junk photographic case and some basswood - course it took a lot of time (as some will recall from seeing the thread on here) but its worked a treat. A single case with everything in it apart from the battery box. Makes packing up a doddle and its a comfort knowing that if it aint in the case I dont own it so nmothing gets forgotten/left behind.

Attached Files

#16 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm still waiting to see the "Astro Baby" line of cases at my local astro store. They will come in various sizes, colors and configurations.

Stan

#17 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

:grin:Best case scenario?

#18 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

They are already available Stan to anyone who sticks some cash in an envelope and sends it my way - about $500 would be right but you;d have to wait at least 6 months - like I had to :)

#19 gonzosc1

gonzosc1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

I just had a semi home made case idea. will start working on it and report back here when its done!

#20 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Do share, its great to see other ideas.

Actually id you do a search on Google for images on the keywrds 'eyepiece case' there are some fab pictures and some brilliant designs out there.

I love this one...its so neat....
http://texasstarpart...ables_case2.jpg

#21 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

Well, there's always buying a scope for each of the eyepieces to house them........ :lol:

I like the Pelican Storm cases. The Woodwonders are beautiful cases and well made....but if you're older, or not in good health, wood gets heavy pretty quickly.

I'd second the reasoning stated above. If you want a case that looks real purty on a shelf in your living room, get the Wood Wonders. If OTOH you want a case that's built to protect your stuff from a potential lickin' from being jostled around or even dropped or dampened in transit *and* is easy to hand-carry, get a Storm/Pelican type case. If (on the third hand) you want a cheap case that will offer fairly good, but not completely idiot-proof or accident-proof protection, get one of those inexpensive aluminum cases often sold at e.g. Lowe's or Harbor Freight.

As a general rule, if you have less expensive EPs, accessories, etc, you could prudently opt for the third alternative if you wish (less expensive aluminum case). BUT: if you have more premium EPs and accessories...well, Ben Franklin's advice about "penny wise, pound foolish" comes to mind (get the Storm/Pelican type case).

As far as internal protection/organization, there's basically three alternatives:
1) pluck foam (you hand-carve out custom slots that snugly fit each of your items;
2) padded dividers (makes for neater organization, but doesn't give quite as snug a fit and allows more possibilities for stuff to jostle around inside);
3) slots cut in wood (e.g. round for eyepieces, dividers for other stuff)...looks real neat, but this is best suited for the type of case you plan to never accidentally drop or spill (which you never plan to do, **it just happens sooner or later if you catch my drift).

Myself, I've got:
1) Storm 2400 case (Naglers, filters, Parcorr, Powermates(barlows), EP cleaning kit, red light.
2) Lowe large camera lens/optics case (my set of 8 Ethos lives here), red light. This is quite a rugged, water-resistant case with padded dividers, made to safely carry sets of professional high-end camera lenses even more expensive than Ethos.

#22 DonsDob

DonsDob

Explorer 1

• Loc: CT

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

I use a $25 dollar aluminum case from Harbor Freight which comes with pluck foam. padded dividers, and a tool holder to hold: basic tools (allen wenches, screwdrivers, red light, laser pointer, etc); finder scope, telrad, intelliscope COL, 2 eyepieces that don't fit in the smaller eyepiece case, and assorted odds and ends. I've learned thru experience to mark the top with a piece of black tape.

#23 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:54 PM

Apart from Pelican cases and other similar types, are cases from Wooden wonder, etc good enough to store the eyepieces long term without being affected by the dreaded fungus?

That said, I dun own an EP case since my collection quickly outgrown the small Meade case I had. Most of the time I just lump them into a compact lot in the corner of my long Pelican together with my scope.

#24 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

I like different cases for some of my stuff. To segregate things a bit, into smaller packages.
I choose second hand store, garage sales, and such for where to look.
Lots of very inexpensive options are available, for pretty painlessly up grading too.

#25 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

Here is what I use (a modified fishing tackle box with drawers and lift-out top):

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics