Photo

Best case to organize your accessories...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Here it is with everything out of it:

Attached Files

#27 JeffreyHorne

JeffreyHorne

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Stan,

The Pelican 1600 looks really nice...about what I think I need. Is the foam "pluckable"? The Pelican site just gives me too many options to decipher.

#28 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Jeffrey,

Yes, it comes with pluck foam. Order the case that just says "..with foam". The best price I have found on Pelican cases is at B&H Photo. They also ship for free.

Stan

http://www.bhphotovi...&InitialSear...

#29 mdine1us

mdine1us

Ranger 4

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

I have both Pelican and Storm cases. While they are both amazing quality products, I prefer the Storm case(just by a little) because the latching system is a little easier to deal with. (Pelican now owns Storm but they still have distinct product lines)
My favorite source for getting them is 4lessdepot.com. I really like B&H but the 4Lessdepot is in San Diego where I live, so I just pop over and pick it up.

The equivalent Storm case to the Pelican 1600 is the Storm IM2700. Roughly the same price...check it out here...

http://www.nalpak.co...an-Storm-iM2700

#30 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

Yea, for a second you threw me there, I was thinking, hey, My Storm case IS a Pelican brand....

ANOTHER OPTION: I bought my case from Acme Cases, they sell the Pelicans, and others, and even make some. One of the services they do is, instead of pluck foam, you can (for extra cost obviously) bring in your eyepieces and they will use a plastic foam type material (a little more sturdy then pluckfoam, but not as hard as styrofoam) that "molds" around the eyepieces (No, they don't just plop your eyepiece into goo, it's protected by a plastic sheeting). This results in perfect custom fit, no cutting, nothing to flake off, and it holds the eyepiece in place with no jostling. And actually, they're not really expensive. I got a Pelican Storm 2200 with pluckfoam for less than $80.

#31 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

A nice thing about the Pelican 1600 is It's deep enough to stand some things on end which accommodates more gear.
I fit everything I need for my two main viewing scopes.

Top Row ~ WO 2" DuraBright Diagonal, AP 2" MaxBtight Diagonal, EarthWin PFS-DBSE Diagonal, Various Filters (for EarthWin), OCS (for EarthWin), 12.5mm Reticle.

Second Row ~ Telrad for NS11GPS, TV BinoVue, 2" nosepiece for TV Bino's, 2X Amplifier (OCS) for TV Bino's.

Third Row ~ Telrad for APM 130mm, *BLEEP*'t. accessories, Dew straps + laser pointer.

Fourth Row ~ HC + 25ft cord for NS11GPS, HC holder + head light, 3 X bolts for NS11GPS, Dew controller.

Mike

Attached Files

#32 linux

linux

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Evans, Ga.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

A lot of good suggestions here. My first case was/is the so-called cheap Harbor Freight aluminum case with the plucked/dice foam. I don't know why anybody would say it's not for expensive eyepieces because it's sturdy and has "plenty" of foam on all 6 sides of my Ethos and ES eyepieces. And for $29.95 you can't beat it. In fact it's cheaper than just buying replacement foam from Orion.

However after seeing some of the pics here, I think my next case will be the Pelican 1600 because of it's depth. It certainly looks rugged and has lots of foam as well. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with my EP's jostling around at all! In any event, I just ordered another Ethos so my stable is growing (and my wallet shrinking) and I'm about due for a 2nd case.

Here's a pic of the case...

Attached Files

#33 linux

linux

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:22 PM

Here it is with the top foam on it. I priced replacement diced foam and it's hard to find cheaply, so if I wanted to re-layout the case I'd probably just buy solid foam at a craft store and carve out the holes with a knife or scissors.

Attached Files

#34 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

I really like this case I got off Amazon Prime.
Fits a mix of 5-6 1.25" and 2" eyepieces, as well as a couple adapters and cables/AC adapter/Nexstar controller.
Fantastic price at $35 with free shipping. Well built in my opinion. Not as good as a Pelican, but very good for the price.

http://www.amazon.co...0_i00?ie=UTF...

#35 linux

linux

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

That looks to be identical to the one I got at Harbor Freight; pretty much the same dimensions; probably made in the same factory...

http://www.harborfre...case-69318.html

Very sturdy and lots of foam. I did go ahead and order the Pelican 1600 after seeing it above, mostly due to the larger size and especially the depth. If I can stack my larger eyepieces vertically (with foam below and above as well), that will save a lot of space, although I can see it getting somewhat heavy with, say 6 Ethos eyepieces in there.

#36 Ian Robinson

Ian Robinson

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: 33S , 151E

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

Being of very stingie scot decent, I opted for a very cheap but effective approach.

I bought a few secondhand celestron eyepiece/accessory kit cases (less the accessories and eyepieces) on Ebay , turfed the less than protective low density foam inside and replaced this foam with high density high quality pluck n pull foam and hey presto, nice cases
- astro photo gear case (autoguide, OAG, MCC, Lumicon CC/FF, and 50mm guidescope and some 2" filters
- eyepiece case
- barlow, tuneable top 2" coma corrector and visual stuff case
- astrophoto lenses case (58mm f1.4, 135mm f2.0, 200mm f3.5, 25mm f2.5 and adapters and filters)

May not be water tight, or air tight, but tough and protective from bumps, crushing, drops so they do the job.

#37 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Here it is with the top foam on it. I priced replacement diced foam and it's hard to find cheaply, so if I wanted to re-layout the case I'd probably just buy solid foam at a craft store and carve out the holes with a knife or scissors.

I use solid foam because pluck foam is not as durable. I buy it at a place that specializes in building shipping containers for expensive items.. the last time the guy just gave me a rem that was about 3' x 4" and 2 inches thick...

I have seen the Harbor freight aluminum cases. I am not sure how they would be in 10 years. There are aluminum cases available that are designed for transporting expensive stuff...

Jon

#38 linux

linux

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Being of very stingie scot decent, I opted for a very cheap but effective approach.

I bought a few secondhand celestron eyepiece/accessory kit cases (less the accessories and eyepieces) on Ebay , turfed the less than protective low density foam inside and replaced this foam with high density high quality pluck n pull foam and hey presto, nice cases
- astro photo gear case (autoguide, OAG, MCC, Lumicon CC/FF, and 50mm guidescope and some 2" filters
- eyepiece case
- barlow, tuneable top 2" coma corrector and visual stuff case
- astrophoto lenses case (58mm f1.4, 135mm f2.0, 200mm f3.5, 25mm f2.5 and adapters and filters)

May not be water tight, or air tight, but tough and protective from bumps, crushing, drops so they do the job.

Ian, where did you get the Pluck & pull foam? The only place I could find it was from Orion and it was over $40 for a sheet...

#39 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

I was at Harbor Freight recently thinking of picking up a case for my accessories. I noted that the pluck foam is a lot less firmer than the one I bought last year for my eyepieces. Noticeably softer and comes apart easier--not good, if you want to house heavy eyepieces in it.

#40 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

I have both Pelican and Storm cases. While they are both amazing quality products, I prefer the Storm case(just by a little) because the latching system is a little easier to deal with. (Pelican now owns Storm but they still have distinct product lines)
My favorite source for getting them is 4lessdepot.com. I really like B&H but the 4Lessdepot is in San Diego where I live, so I just pop over and pick it up.

The equivalent Storm case to the Pelican 1600 is the Storm IM2700. Roughly the same price...check it out here...

http://www.nalpak.co...an-Storm-iM2700

A weight of 16 lbs with just the foam! Wow! Imagine how heavy it will be after loading it up with eyepieces.

#41 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:39 AM

My Pelican #1600 case doesn't quite weigh 16 lbs, but I transport about $6000 worth of equipment in it. I wouldn't want to trust a $20, 7 lb. Chinese aluminum case. My equipment is more important to me than that.

Stan

#42 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

Ditto Stan.

#43 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

Yup, my Pentax's and T1s call it home......My ES live in bolt case apartments......

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics