I've just submitted Scope Nights 1.4 to the Apple App Store for review. Hopefully it will be available for download next week.
New features include:
• 10-night worldwide stargazing weather forecasts
• Stargazing forecasts covering sunset and sunrise periods
• Bug fixes and improvements
• Improved Help section
I've had requests for saving and comparing of multiple observing sites, and it is in the pipeline for the next version, but I've had to focus on worldwide coverage for this version as I've had lots of requests from outside the US & UK who wish to use Scope Nights.
It includes a longer range forecast which will be available worldwide, and will still provide the same forecasts for the US and UK as it overlays those national forecasts onto a 10-night global forecast.
I'll send out a tweet out when the new version is ready for download.
Egg Moon Studio
Here's the app website:
And here's the App Store download:
Scope Nights is a unique astronomy weather app that uses a combination of national and global weather forecasts to compile detailed stargazing weather ratings up to 10-nights worldwide. Many weather apps are unwieldy, over complicated and very generalised. Scope Nights was designed to be intuitive, quick, and easy, focusing on night-time astronomy conditions. Existing astronomy weather apps were also found to be hard to read and hard to quickly see which nights are the best. The Scope Nights interface was therefore designed to be intuitive showing nightly stargazing summaries at a glance, yet also customisable so the forecast can be tailored to meet observing requirements of dedicated astronomers.
Scope Nights is an indispensable tool for astronomers and a welcome relief from sieving through conventional weather apps. It's designed to be quick and easy to use whether at home or at an observing site, and as the app matures more features will be added, so it’s going to get even better.
STARGAZING WEATHER RATINGS
• Shows at a glance which nights will be most suitable for stargazing using smart weather analysis
ACCURATE WEATHER FORECASTS
• 5 to 7 night local stargazing weather forecasts updated hourly for USA & UK direct from government weather services
• 10 night worldwide stargazing weather forecasts derived from the European numerical forecast model which is renowned worldwide as providing the most accurate medium-range global weather forecasts.
SMART WEATHER ANALYSIS
• Automatically finds forecast for your current location
• Filters weather data only showing forecasts for hours of darkness
• Analyses weather, cloud cover, wind, humidity and temperature and creates stargazing ratings using weighted algorithms
• Threshold adjustments for wind, temperature and humidity to suit your needs
• Colour coded summary charts showing details at a glance for each night
DETAILED NIGHT TIME WEATHER CONDITIONS
• 3-hourly and 6-hourly forecast details
• Sunrise and sunset times
• Moon phases
• Colour coded forecast details:
- Overnight humidity
- Overnight minimum temperature in celsius or fahrenheit
- Overnight wind speed and direction in mph, knots, kph or mps
• Automatically finds stargazing weather forecasts for your current location
• Find stargazing forecast for any location worldwide
• Shows at a glance which nights will be suitable for stargazing
• Stargazing summary ratings and nightly detail rating charts make it simple to pick the best nights
• Requires a device with iOS 6.1 or later
• Requires Internet access over a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection for downloading weather data
• Requires Location Services be enabled to automatically find current location