CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tracking expts with AVX and C8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

I recently bought a new Celestron AVX to carry my old SP-C8 OTA. I had tried ASPA with the CG5 without much luck. I found I got as good a PA with my polar finder. Clearly others get good results with ASPA so I set out to figure out what I was doing wrong. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I am getting good results with the AVX. Do a 2+4 align, do ASPA, bang, it's all good.

So I set about to see what the limits of the AVX are in tracking (given a full moon night with lousy seeing, what else would I do?).

The results are shown below. I got polar aligned as well as I could and attempted to confirm that by slewing in RA with the shutter open (Regulus, upper left). I then tried several different exposure lengths unguided.* 60s seemed to be fine. 150s was okay if I would be willing to lose 20-40% of my subs (see one good 150s and one bad).

I then ran the PEC routine and employed that while guiding. 150s was no sweat. 300s was fine. 600s was fine. Finally, I've posted the one 900s exposure I recorded. It was at ISO 100 with a Canon T2i, f/6.3 reducer and Hutech LPAS filter. I confirmed the identity of the asteroid by recording images over a few hours (see Solar System forum if you're interested). The guider was the Orion Finder guider.

To be honest, I'm about as happy as I can be with this outcome. I was never able to get consistently good tracking with the CG5 over 5 minutes. Here I have round stars at 15 minutes. Hopefully, it wasn't just a fluky good night.

* what is it with the desire to run unguided? AP seems pretty complicated no matter what you do, I figure you may as well make it slightly more complicated and guide, thus ensuring a more likely happy outcome. YMMV, I suppose.

Attached Files

#2 bretm

bretm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Paul:

Thanks for the report. My AVX is on the truck for delivery - I hope I get results anywhere near as good as you are...

Bret

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

I was getting similar results with mine. Other than the hand controller issue I had early on, this mount has turned out to be amazing! I could not be more happy.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics