• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kraberus

kraberus

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

I am looking for a good first computerized EQ mount. I'm almost a total beginner (using binos currently) so this is probably a totally noob question, but...

One concern I've seen about many GoTo mounts is what happens when power is lost. Can the Celestron VX mount still be used manually without power?

Thanks,
Nick

#2 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:21 PM

No, you need power always. It's a computerized EQ mount, so it needs power to work. I would consider buying a 12v power tank if you don't already have one.

If you have the luxury of mains electricity when you do your astro viewing, i.e. in your back garden with an extension lead for your lawnmower, then you can buy the mains adapter for it.

But otherwise, everyone should have a power tank.

Best Regards

Martin

#3 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:26 PM

For a beginners EQ mount, the VX mount is great, i bought mine last month and its worked like a dream so far.

(FYI most-if not all- computerized EQ mounts can only be operated with power, not manually)

#4 kraberus

kraberus

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Good to know, thank you. I've been debating starting out with a computerized mount or something a little less fancy. Out of curiosity, why did you opt for an EQ mount for your 5SE?

#5 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

As has already been said, contemporary computerized mounts need power to operate, AND, they typically come with either an external battery holder, or an internal battery box. You supply the batteries. Also, contemporary mounts have external power connectors, and may even come with (or may have as an option...) a power cord that has a cigarette lighter plug, which just happens to fit any number of rechargeable car jump start batteries as well as the Celestron Power Tank...

Therefore, power loss is moot....

And, a very good reason to put a 5SE on a GEM is imaging. The 5SE ships with an Alt/Az "One Armed Bandit" mount which is very prone to field rotation. By putting the scope on a GEM, field rotation goes away....

#6 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

One simple answer, is ... I like to get started with DSLR Astro Photography, and the Nexstar 5SE can't handle the weight of a DSLR.. the slew motors couldn't handle the weight of a Nikon D7000 (my preferred camera at the moment), it strains the motors and collapsed.. (D7000 weighs just under 600g)

Don't get me wrong, the Nexstar 5SE is a fantastic Goto, of which I still use, but for the moment I have moved the OTA onto the AVX mount until I buy the Edge HD 8 tube...

I started out with astronomy with the Nexstar 5SE thinking it wouldn't get into Astrophotography, and I just wanted to look at the stars... but as time went on, and seeing what gear my friends had, i just ended up wishing i bought an EQ mount instead... so last month i went ahead and bought one..

So I will eventually end up with 2 scopes, the AVX mount and hopefully the edge HD for photography.. and the Nexstar 5SE as the play-around goto while the other is taking photos

#7 MartinTreadgold

MartinTreadgold

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

In theory... the Nexstar 5SE can be polar aligned, it does have a wedge plate on the mount.. and you can just get a rough polar alignment.. I tried it once, but wasn't that successful. infact it was a nightmare. Celestron may have put the wedge plate on it as a cruel joke..

My advice is.. go for the AVX mount and a 6 inch tube or higher, you won't regret it. And later buy a Nexstar for your kids..

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics