• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Duane Frybarger

Duane Frybarger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Well, it's a cloudy night here in San Francisco, so I figured it would be a good time to finally update my online database of the Saguaro Astronomy Club deep sky objects to version 8.1. With the update came a few changes (as always happens) There are fewer searches but the info is obviously more complete. You can view the database at http://virtualcolony...ac81/index.html

Also, I've added a new search engine to search the 2,174 open star clusters in the damlo2 database. Unfortunately, this database does not include magnitudes, but has other interesting info such as distance and number of stars.

If you see any errors or have any suggestions for making this tool more useful, please do not hesitate to contact me.

#2 deepskydarrell

deepskydarrell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Abbotsford, BC Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for the excellent list generator.

I'm just waiting patiently for SAC to incorporate the page numbers for the 2nd edition of Uranometria 2000.0 (it has been out for 12 years now)

DSD.

#3 Duane Frybarger

Duane Frybarger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for the kind words - I hope you and others find it useful.

I just added a search for the Zwicky Galaxy Catalog. I also recently added a search engine for an abbreviated version of the Washington Double Star catalog. If any one has suggestions on other catalogs that might be useful, please contact me.

#4 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

Duane, the SAC data does indeed have numbers of stars for the open clusters, I put it in with my open flying fingers;-)

I am very happy that you use and enjoy the database, it is the reason we created it in the first place.

Darrell, there is no one in SAC who owns a copy of the "new" Uranometria. We have all moved to electronic planetaria programs and then make a printout when needed. Sorry about that.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

#5 Duane Frybarger

Duane Frybarger

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:33 PM

Steve,

Thanks for the reply and the info. I enjoyed your article about M35 - that's my favorite star cluster. I guess I have something in common with Scotty:)

The online version of the SAC database does include numbers of stars for open clusters. The DAMLO2 catalog included info for open cluster age but it was listed as "age in log t". Can anybody tell me what that means or how I would convert that into easy-to-understand numbers?

Thanks,

Duane

#6 Tom Polakis

Tom Polakis

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tempe, Arizona

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

Darrell, there is no one in SAC who owns a copy of the "new" Uranometria. We have all moved to electronic planetaria programs and then make a printout when needed.

I am a SAC member, and I bring out the second edition U2000 atlas every time I observe. It typically doesn't come out of the box at the site, but it's a good backup atlas in case the laptop or its battery fails.

Tom

#7 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Tom, et al;

Pardon me. I guess what I wanted to say is that there is no SAC member who wishes to take on the task of adding the new U2000 numbers into the database.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics