Binos and nagler 12mm type 4

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

being that I am not home for the moment to try measure and suchwhat, I ask , is this a good combo? or even possible? I have one of these EPs, and I am thinking about buying a second to bino with.

Thanks, Theo

#2 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

It is possible. The question is, will it work out for you or not? I can't observe comfortably with my binos with any 2" eyepiece pair. You would have to test it out with out system and see if it physically works with your facial attributes.

#3 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

The system is to be used for whatever it happens to be at the moment. what I was asking was being that nagler 12s are hybrids and have 1.25" extensions on them, will they physically fit together in the bino. Sergio, what you bring to mind is the pupillary distance (of which mine is on the large size of 68) that I did not think about. but also I thought today that 12mm is kind of high powered for a bino... yes? usually we use around 14 - 24mm, yes? another thought is do they really have to be a matched pair? 2 of my bino sets have adjustable EP holders. would not one be able to make up for a slight difference in EPs?

Theo

#4 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Hybrid Televue eyepieces fit just fine in my Baader Mark V binos. I don't see why they would not work with other binoviewers. Televue eyepieces are manufactured to extremely high tolerances and consistencies. I have never had a issue with Televue eyepieces not being purchased as a matched pair.

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

I think it would be very very tight at best.

I use Hyperions and they are physically quite large. I had to remove the rubber ring on the shoulder to get clearance for my nose, and I have a very narrow nose where it comes between my eyes.

I measured the Hyperions and at the shoulder, they are 55mm.

I measured the 12mm T4 and it was 62mm at the shoulder.

The body of the 12mm T4 is also about 6mm wider.

My interocular seperation is perhaps a bit on the narrow side, but only a bit.

The 12mm does have kind of a sloping ridge that means that the taper to the edge of the body sits a bit further from the top of the eyepiece, but the 12mm T4 has a bit less eye relief than the Hyperions, so this may be a wash.

Bottom line? If the bridge of your nose is narrow enough and your interpupil distance is about average, it might work.

But a pair of 13mm T6s would be a better way to get there I think.

#6 DRodrigues

DRodrigues

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

A friend of mine tried a pair of 12mm in a bino and gave up due to the 1.25" extensions - he couldn't see the same image on both eyes... It wasn't a Baader Mark5. The Docters 12.5mm are a better and safer choice if your IP distance is large enough - I don't have a pair since the resulting magnifications would be too high to my day-light bino combo... :bawling:

#7 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

I tried the Docter's a couple of years back at the Winter Star Party and they did not work for me. I also compared them to a pair of 13mm Nagler Type 6s and the views were pretty comparable. Cavefrog, as Eddgie stated, the 13mm Nagler Type 6s might be the way to go. I have a pair and I like them very much.

#8 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

well, like I said, I already own one of the 12s. that's the reason I was asking. but I got impatient, and did not want to get scooped so I went and pulled the trigger anyway. It was a good price, and I can always resell. maybe trade. we'll see.
thanks everyone.

Theo

#9 crazyqban

crazyqban

Vanguard

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:03 AM

Cool, let us know how it works out... Inquiring minds want to know.

#10 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:10 AM

will do... anxious to get home... as always. :jump:

#11 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:12 AM

Yes, it will work, and with low 60's IPD one's eyes should be able to see both.

I did this for a while- in my Dob they were a little on the high side for power, but at the lower two PxS settings on my Denks they gave wonderful & quite usable images! Was about THE best 82* set-up i could find having adequate ER for eyeglasses. :jump:

The thing that eventually torpedo'd my enthusiasm for such a set-up was the 2" collar on the 12T4's... it slid OVER the knurled collars of the Denks which are used for tightening the 1-1/4" EPs in the collets. This created issues.

If they got too tight, it was practically impossible to get the collars to loosen, as they were entirely covered by the 2" EP skirt! And if one were not careful, turning the EP actually unscrewed the Nagler's 1-1/4" barrel... pushing that too far can lead to the tinkling sound of glass on pavement, if you get my drift.

In the photo below, you can see my "solution" was to tighten the EPs in VERY gently, then insure the 12T4's stayed *IN* & snug by utilizing "bungies". Don't laugh- it worked! :help:

I often think back on how nice the views were, and wonder if i should, once again, pick up another 12T4... i see them pop up for ~$200 and i'm so tempted. But then i recall again the nagging frustrations and... :shrug:

Attached Files

#12 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hey, you won't hear me laughing. I have been accused of "juryrigging" more than once, even though it was a solid solution, albeit a bit of an eyesore. If something works, it ain't gotta be pretty.
Thanks for letting me know this, as my IPD is 68 these should work. And yeah, as stated in my OP, I knew they were gonna be a little on the strong side.

Theo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics