• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hickeydp

hickeydp

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ireland

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:13 PM

I'm in the market for a mid range mount as I'm downgrading from my beloved G11 in order to finance another project. I've been discussing the merits of the CGEM and CGEM DX in another thread.

One other consideration is the IEQ45. It's somewhere between the two CGEM flavours in terms of capacity. My question is how far can it be pushed for imaging assuming it is well balanced? How close to the 45lb payload can you get?

I am also considering the Skywatcher EQ6 but I used to own one of these and I'm familiar with what it can and can't do.

#2 Astronewb

Astronewb

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

One other consideration is the IEQ45. It's somewhere between the two CGEM flavours in terms of capacity. My question is how far can it be pushed for imaging assuming it is well balanced? How close to the 45lb payload can you get?

My AT10RC weighs in at approximately 33 pounds with guider and camera, the iEQ45 handles it without any issues.

I also use it in tandem with a TDM at that focal length, so I can't speak to how well a stock mount handles long focal length imaging. At 1370mm and below, it's fine and can be guided easily.

A note, the new 2013 versions are shipping with a new upgraded worm, with larger diameter shafts and improved sealed bearings, which may improve the imaging capabilities even more.

The excellent polar align routine on the iOptron, vs the other mounts in it's class, will really impress you if you've owned a Skywatcher previously.

And the iEQ45's with the new 8407 hand controller can now be controlled with any planetarium program, including SkySafari.

Good luck in your search..

Paul

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics