Moon setting over my new backyard

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

It's the same here. 90F one day, 17F and snow the next. Usually like this through April in NM.

#27 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sarasota, Florida

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Dude!!! What a view :)

#28 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Sal, when you're done with school you'll have to come out west one of these days. We'll drag Robert down from the North Pole where he lives to our latitude as well. I'm finally going to build that ROR Observatory we talked about a few years ago! Gonna be a few months down the road as we're still looking for a PERMANENT home, made a last minute decision to rent one for a few months while we look around more. I want to be absolutely sure of what I buy into this time.

But, more importantly, and more urgently, I'm having some equipment buying decision challenges LOL. I can start buying the gear in a few weeks.

#29 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Sal, when you're done with school you'll have to come out west one of these days. We'll drag Robert down from the North Pole where he lives to our latitude as well. I'm finally going to build that ROR Observatory we talked about a few years ago! Gonna be a few months down the road as we're still looking for a PERMANENT home, made a last minute decision to rent one for a few months while we look around more. I want to be absolutely sure of what I buy into this time.

But, more importantly, and more urgently, I'm having some equipment buying decision challenges LOL. I can start buying the gear in a few weeks.

You'll actually be closer, you won't have to drag me! I'll come willingly :grin: (well maybe not in the winter) :lol:

#30 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

:grin:

Hmm... You, Sal, myself in a mini star party at my place. I'm trying to figure out if that would work like this:

:band:

...or this:

:stooges:

We three could do some serious damage together.
;)

#31 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

I think it's safe to say it could turn out somewhere between the two. Could be very close to one or the other(but that's still between) :grin:

#32 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

hahahahha sounds like fun!!!!
I just finished school :). I've got the next three months "off" before i start med school.
What equipment are you thinking about buying? maybe i can help you make a decision? :cool:
maybe i need to send you my gear when you get the ROR. Im sure it would get more use as a remote setup at your place than it would here :lol:.

#33 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:26 PM

Sal, glad to hear you get a break. I know you've been nose down in the books. So now we expect to see some photons getting posted shortly.
:grin:

I can tell you that when I do build the ROR I intend to have enough room for "expansion". So you're more than welcome to plop your gear in here and we'll get it all wired up and networked.

As for me, I thought I had dialed in on what I wanted, but I'm honestly open to some suggestions at this point. I definitely need to go mono and narrowband.

I've considered an APO/SCT combo this time around. I'm well versed in imaging with both designs in both OSC and mono flavors. Was considering one of those Borg 71FL scopes which is very fast, and very flat. Can be operated at F/3.9, F/5.6, etc. Perfect for super-widefield similar to Hyperstar. It's a 5-element APO. Very lightweight so it could ride on say a C11 SCT easily enough. Grab a C11-CF with reducer for longer focal length stuff, plus it gives me a good aperture OTA for visual. Since there may come an occasion or two where I might take this gear remote each year, I still need some mobility - so I was thinking a CGEM DX mount. Plenty of load capacity, but not so massive that it will cripple me trying to transport it all the time. I've been eyeballing the ATIK cameras again for mono. After the QHY-9, I've decided I really dislike mechanical shutter cameras. I'd rather get something without it.

Alternatively I could get a KWIQ guider again, and rather than doing an OTA piggyback setup, I could just swap imaging OTAs on the mount and move the KWIQ guider over to which ever one I need at the time, which would significantly keep the weight down on the mount too. A C11 carbon fiber is fairly light though, and so is that Borg.

#34 SGT500

SGT500

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:01 AM

Lol thanks Josh!!! I'm most llkely going to head up to cheifland astronomy village. It's a blue dark sky site. Hopefully the weather holds up and I can get some new shots.

You know me, I think mono is definitely the way to go!!!! Your mount sounds like a good option too. Sounds like all the deciding left you have is on the scope. Have you considered a fast 8" newt? That would get you a nice compromise between wide field and good resolution.

#35 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

I thought about it, but two things have me hesitating.

1) I remember from trying to image with a 10" newt that the massive profile of the OTA and the open ended tube design lead to oscillation in even the slightest of wind. An 8" not being much smaller in profile would tend to suffer similar I think.

2) I have no experience in hooking up a filter wheel + CCD to a newt. Back then I had a very basic 1/3 OSC chip with a 1.25" nosepiece. Hooking up a larger mono CCD with a filter wheel I need some education on. Unsure of spacing, etc. I know I'll need an MPCC for a larger format sensor on most run of the mill Newts.

I had considered possibly a 6" or 8" power newt at one point, as they are fast, have reasonable aperture, and have a smaller footprint. They are flat field corrected out of the box. Still unsure on the filter wheel details though.

I'm currently reading up on spacing requirements, etc to try and sort it out.

I have also looked at those Officina Stellare RH200 OTAs, but that is a serious chunk of change that I wouldn't even consider dropping until I have an obs. I don't know why, but the William Optics GTF81 APO is also catching my eye.

Yeah, I know, I'm all over the board with this, but it's like a kid in a candy shop, ready to drop some cash! LOL

Honestly my priorities are of course getting back into fast, widefield imaging as that seems to be what I enjoy most and where I land the most success. However, I would like to have a decent visual OTA for planetary viewing and imaging. I suppose I could worry about that later and focus on the primary goal here.

#36 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:38 AM

House is packed up here, 18-wheeler comes tomorrow to load. Time to unplug the modem and return it. See you guys on the flip side.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics