I just installed nine Lagerstroemia LP shades

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:08 PM

My mother came to visit Friday and left to go back home today. While she was here we had a collective moment of brilliance. Our neighbors behind us have these obnoxious insecurity lights and a "prison light" as I call it which shines right into our telescope setup area. It's annoying to say the least. I talked with them and they don't leave it on all night long but it is often turned on when they are having a party. This coincides with satellite viewing time in my backyard.

Along the side of the yard we have a thicket of Lagerstroemia shrubs. These are often known as Crepe myrtle and they are cheap, low maintenance, and literally grow like a weed even in relatively poor soil.

The nice thing about them is that you can condition the shrubs into being tall and thin but bushy at just the right height to block an annoying light. They will grow quite tall if you trim the lower branches or will grow wide if you trim the tops.

As they grow in I'll have photos of them in the backyard. For now I'm just glad I found a free, low maintenance light pollution barrier with a very high wife approval factor.

obin :grin:

#2 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

Here is a photo of them. You can tell that the light from the neighbors yard simply spills over the top of the fence.

Posted Image

The "prison light" can barely be seen to the right of the thick palm tree. You can see the light pole but not the top of it. I have no idea why they need a light in the backyard so high. It is so annoying!

These light pollution shades are a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Won't the plants shed & be bare during the winter months, or in the Southern states this doesn't happen?

#4 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

They will. I don't have the same problems with their "prison light" in the winter however. We are also looking at planting bamboo along the back fence. That'll permanently fix the problem year-round.

#5 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Add a few sprigs of Pueraria lobata.

#6 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

Add a few sprigs of Pueraria lobata.

Oh believe me if there weren't telco, CATV, and electrical lines in the backyard along the property line I would have thrown a bag of kudzu seeds all over the fence a while ago.l

#7 Guy Noir

Guy Noir

Mariner 2

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

I would double the height of the fence ... and put an Andromeda galaxy mural on your side :-)
Cheers,
Michael

#8 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

Be careful about potentially inciting a hedge war :lol:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8aTCI2Zg84w

Back story is in the UK there is a "high hedges act 2005" (HHA) after folk started growing up to 130 foot Lylandii hedges!!!

I have to confess that I have a shortish 15 foot lylandii hedge (inherited with house) that is mainly to hide a small power distribution substation but it also conveniently shields the upstairs lights of our neighbour. I have agreed with the neighbour an upper limit to the hedge height (1 foot above the substation roof). If the substation wasn't there I would be obliged by the HHA to cap the hedge at 6 1/2 feet.

#9 Joe F Gafford

Joe F Gafford

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado, US

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

I would double the height of the fence ... and put an Andromeda galaxy mural on your side :-)
Cheers,
Michael

This is a picture of a fence across the street from my sister's house. A batty lady lives there and she put up the extensions in the profile of her neighbor's house. A friendly young family lives next to her and she put it up as noise abatement.

Joe

Attached Files

#10 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

We are also looking at planting bamboo along the back fence. That'll permanently fix the problem year-round.

Bamboo will work splendidly as a natural screening fence, provided you put down a proper barrier to contain its rhizome roots from spreading beyond their welcome. This does NOT need to be a concrete barrier; sturdily thick black plastic extending down two to three feet deep and protruding a couple of inches above ground surrounding the intended area of the bamboo grove will do the trick. The above-ground two-inch "lip" is so you can easily see any rhizomes which try to leap the barrier, and nip them early. However, you can add some wood timbers in front of the plastic lip for a more attractive appearance. A three to four foot width grove will probably be adequate as a screen.

There are several good videos on YouTube showing how to properly make a barrier prior to planting a bamboo screening hedge.

#11 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Cheers,
Michael

This is a picture of a fence across the street from my sister's house. A batty lady lives there and she put up the extensions in the profile of her neighbor's house. A friendly young family lives next to her and she put it up as noise abatement.

Joe

I'd be careful about a fence like that. Around here anything over 6 ft is illegal and zoning would order it taken down or they will remove it.

#12 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!

The neighbors moved. The new neighbors leave all their lights off including the "prison light" and the "midnight sun" as we used to call it. My backyard is so dark you'd think it was actually night time!

#13 Bill Steen

Bill Steen

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:52 PM

Congratulations!  Sounds like you just won the lottery of life!

#14 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:06 PM

The irony is that they moved just as the Lagerstroemia grew in and were in the perfect light blocking position. The effort was worth it though as the backyard just looks better with the foliage.

obin :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics