ETX not slewing... ideas?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Toso4

Toso4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

I have a ETX 125 Autostar that is giving me a new problem... It has been a number of years since I have used the scope, and was looking forward to introducing it to my youngest son... Setup went as normal, but during the ALTAZ setup once it located the first star the controller said "slewing" but nothing happened..?? I hit enter, and it selected the second start- again said "slewing" with no movement. As part of my troubleshooting I tried every combination of turning it on and off, plugging and unplugging the controller that I could think of (while doing so the motors did occasionally move the scope short distances, so I feel confident that everything is good mechanically). I even reset the controller, still nothing. What am I missing? Any ideas?

#2 redlinedb16a

redlinedb16a

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I wonder if the grease in the drive gears dried up and causes too much restriction

#3 Toso4

Toso4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

I dont think so- the scope will slew when I plug/unplug the handheld controller.

#4 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

sounds like a connector issue, was it stored in the basement?
Radio Shack sells very good contact cleaner, but it is pricey at $11.00 for a small can.
I had an Autostar on an LXD-55 mount do the same thing.

#5 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Clean the contacts on the cord with tooth paste and an old brush. Let everything dry well before you reconnect. Of course don try this on the scope connector or Autistar.

#6 cuivienor

cuivienor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

I think he already cleaned the contacts (he had an earlier thread mistakenly in the refractors forum, where he mentions doing that). Since Autostar does power up, it suggests that at least the ground and power contacts are working properly.

I would be very curious if the poster could try the following:
- turn on the scope with Autostar, tighten the clutches
- Press the 9 key
- press the left arrow key, report if anything happens (motor noise, slewing, no slewing, etc.)
- Do the same with right, up, and down arrow keys
- Go to Setup:Telescope:Calibrate Motor and see whether the scope moves then (calibrate motors should do a small slew in RA and DEC and nothing else)

Please also check whether Setup:Telescope:Telescope Model set to ETX 125? If not, set it to ETX 125 and try again.

If all else fails, you might try to Setup:Reset your Autostar, see whether that fixes the issue.

Good luck!

Yannick

If this doesn't work, try resetting the Autostar controller

Also, is my understanding correct that when the scope should be slewing, there is no motor sound at all?

#7 Toso4

Toso4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

OK... I cleaned all cables and unit contacts, still nothing. I also tightened the clutches, and ran it through the directions as described above (I heard and saw nothing). I also calibrated the motors, but again heard and saw nothing. I double checked the setup and it is the ETX 125 and I had rest the Autostar yesterday... Ugh.

#8 dogeddie

dogeddie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:12 AM

It might be a stretch, but do you know anyone else with an Autostar or cord you could try?

Are you using batteries or an outside power source? Batteries can cause problems.

#9 Toso4

Toso4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

I have swapped out cords, and have been using an AC adapter.

#10 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

What are the specs on the AC Adapter? (OUTPUT DCV & MA or AH)

#11 dogeddie

dogeddie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

You are starting in the Home position, and aren't up against a hard stop are you? I know that is basic, but I don't know what your experience level with ETXs is, so sorry if I insult your intelligence. :foreheadslap:

#12 tomatohead

tomatohead

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

One more thing: I noticed you said the autostar said "slewing".
Does the "slewing" message ever go away? If it does, the the autostar is talking to the drive system and it has counted the correct number if "clicks".

#13 Toso4

Toso4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

Lots of good feedback, I really appreciate it all... I will run through the last questions:

-I will check the AC Adapter tonight and update
-I removed the hard stop and replaced the internal wiring with an external bungee (so that I have 360 motion)... have used it for years with no issues (I have also checked this cable, and all connectors)
-I am starting home position (modified since there is no hard stop)
-The slewing message never goes away...

Thanks in advance!

#14 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

sounds like motor failure to me.

#15 Toso4

Toso4

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

Nothing seems to be working... any last thoughts?

#16 cuivienor

cuivienor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Yes...

iOptron CubePro or SmartEq Pro and ETX125 Dovetail from ScopeStuff (if you prefer protability - with a Benro 3580T tripod you'd get an excellent travel package, better than the vanilla ETX125).

Or

Celestron CG-5GT and ETX125 Dovetail from ScopeStuff. Much more stable, still GoTo. More or less nullifies the ultraportable aspect of the ETX125.

Would set you back around 600 USD, but resurrect a great scope.

Cheers,

Yannick

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics