• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

...Do you have any idea what adhesive can be safely used in eyepieces?

No. This is why I have yet to re-glue the secondary baffle in my ETX! It's fine, for now, but it'll eventually need to be done right! I'm just not ready to commit.

Perhaps you could find a set of objectives on that "bay" place that would be compatible without costing an arm and a leg? Or, just keep an eye out for someone looking to sell their old Zeiss objectives?

Good luck!

#52 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

• Loc: ISRAEL

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:57 AM

Hi Bob,
The problem is with an ocular and not an objective.
I have already checked on eBay for Carl Zeiss oculars and there are quite a few of the old ones. I might give it a shot if the price is right.
There are also many eBay sellers who sell brand new Amscope eyepieces that are compatible with the axiostar and are very inexpensive. I might go for one of those.
If I don't like what I get I can always sell it again.
It's just that I can't stand the idea of throwing out a perfectly good optic just because the darn plastic parts of the housing are cross- threaded.

#53 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

OK,
here are some preliminary pictures taken with the Axiostar.
Dont laugh at the quality. I am still learning the software and these are First light efforts.

I think this is a vorticella. you can barely see the cillia near the mouth part. It is a stationary ciliate that is connected to the substrate with a thin stalk.

Attached Files

#54 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

another one

Attached Files

#55 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

and here is a strange one.
It was vigorously swimming and very hard to catch in focus as it was constantly moving around. It had two flagellae at the narrow end of it (cant be seen here) and had a very distinct transparent sheroidal envelope surrounding it.
I dont know what it is.

Attached Files

#56 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

Algae ??

Attached Files

#57 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

and here is another shot

Attached Files

#58 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:46 PM

this one is probably another type of algae

Attached Files

#59 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

And a final one. Again I have no idea what this is. it has a green circumference and a nice red inner core.
All pictures were taken with a 40X Plan A objective.
the pictures were heavily cropped to adapt them to the size limit acceptable here.

Attached Files

#60 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

I must say that the quality of the pictures is much lower than what I see visually.
I need to optimize illumination, exposure and white ballance, I hope to be able to improve on these but there will be a steep learning curve.
I am hapmered by the fact that the software I am using is an early version while the manual I downloaded is a later version so many things I have to guess, and it does not work as per the manual.

#61 Mentor

Mentor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Congrats on the microscope, and on working out the initial wrinkles.

Thanks for posting the pics. I have also had trouble optimizing the illumination and parameters in the software to get micrographs that even come close to the view through the eyepiece. It is a bit of a steep learning curve.

#62 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

Ian,
Thanks for the encouragement. I do appreciate that there is a long time and a steep curve ahead.
The Camera I got with the package deal (Pixelink PL-662 color CMOS Firewire video Camera) is a bit outdated. It is no longer offered for sale at the manufacturer website and the software that I got is the older version (Pixelink Capture version 3.1) It came with no manual so I had to download the manual from the web but the only manual I could find was for Release version 3.2.
Upon using the camera it became clear that Version 3.1 is quite different from Version 3.2 so the manual I downloaded is not much help.
I still have to find out if the company will agree to update my software to Version 3.2 for free.
So right now - its basically trial and error to try and understand how the software works.
My main difficulty is with the White Balance issue.
I also have not started work on learning how to optimize the Kohler illumination on the scope.
Since I realy liked what I saw in the eyepieces, I tried to play with capturing some frames from the first light to9 post here, so accept my apologies for the low quality of pictures.

This will go slowly because I have little time to do this.
Also I will try to connect my Canon 40D to the microscope (Lots more pixels and live view will sure help in still frame acquisition). I still have to figure out what kind of adaptor I will need to get for coupling a Canon camera to the trinocular phototube ( The PL-662 has a standard C-Mount so my guess is I will have to find an adapter with a standard Male EOS adapter on one side and a Female C-Mount on the other side.

Additionally, I have an Imaging Source DFK 21AF04.AS Color video camera with the appropriate capture software. If I cannot get adequate quality from the Pixelink Camera I may give it a try with the DFK (It has a lower resolution but is is a more modern design and features a true CCD chip which may have a better S/N). another advantage is the DFK has a standard C-mount, si no extra adapter will be needed.

Any help and/or Ideas about suitable adapters and/or a better way to proceed with imaging will be greatly appreciated !
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of the user manual for Pixelink Capture SE version 3.1 that would be great help and a time saver ! :bow:
Best Regards,
Lihu

#63 Mentor

Mentor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:31 PM

My current situation is very similar to yours.

My difficulty is with the white balance as well. If I optimize the illumination to get a nice evenly lit field in the eyepiece, then through the camera the background is tea-coloured and varies from quite dark in one corner to almost white in the opposite corner.

Like you, I have little time to experiment at the moment, so my issue remains unresolved. I am thinking it is either the software settings, the illumination setup needing to be optimized for the camera port rather than the eyepieces, or the position of the camera on the trinocular port...or perhaps a combination.

I could also just have a *BLEEP* camera....

#64 chrisg

chrisg

Mariner 2

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

I'm curious - are those binoviewers attached by a quick release? If so, you may be able to use those binos in your telescope with a Baader Quick Release adapter. Also those eyepieces could also be great for astro! (If you didn't already know this!)

#65 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

Chris,
Thr bino's are indeed attached to the microscope with a quic release dovetail. I do not need them for bino viewing because I already have a denkmeyer bino viewer.
The eyepieces are good for telescopic use but they are not 1.25" in external barrel diameter.

#66 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

Short update,
Just got a pair of pristine zeiss 10x 18 wide field eyepieces on ebay to replace my former somewhat defunct eyepieces. I'll keep the other eyepieces as a backup pair.
Still struggling with microphotography, but I am getting a x2 adapter for my canon 6D, so things may improve once I get the adapter.

#67 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Recent Update,
I have now tried my Canon camera coupled to a 2X amscope optical adapter hand held on top of the Trinocular tube.
Here is a cropped and reduced picture of a stained Daphnia from a pre-prepared microscope slide.

Attached Files

#68 ASTERON

ASTERON

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

Another picture at higher magnification.
There was some vignetting in ther original photographs so I cropped them and resized them for posting.

Attached Files

#69 Junn Chavez

Junn Chavez

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted Today, 03:50 PM

Hi,

By any chance you noticed that one of your objective is an Olympus brand and not Zeiss?

Junn

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics