Photo

What FIRST got you interested in Binoculars?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 Pinewood

Pinewood

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:30 PM

Gus,

You bring back a memory. I had a July 1943 National Geographic, that had star charts printed in an article, entitled, "The Heavens, above. I ripped out the star charts, around 1968 and studied them for years, until they fell apart.
I am sure that you were writing of a formal star chart.
Clear skies,
Arthur

#52 Man in a Tub

Man in a Tub

Voyager 1

• Loc: Fogpatch, CA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

In 1958, when I was 5, my father bought binoculars and we would throw a blanket out in the back yard and use the National Geographic star map to explore the sky. Perfect instrument for the very transparent but often turbulent skies in Colorado Springs.

The neighbor kid, Lenny, borrowed the star map and never returned it. If I ever find you Lenny...

After my father and I failed to see Sputnik, that star map arrival in early 1958 inspired even greater interest in astronomy. You can buy a contemporary version of the National Geographic Heavens Map. If you want a 1958 version, I bet that can be found too.

#53 RichD

RichD

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:54 AM

Interesting to see so many of us got into this hobby as youngsters and have continued it well into adulthood. Nothing like a lifetime hobby.

#54 Jay_Bird

Jay_Bird

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

As early as I can remember it was equal parts (usually shared with dad) binocular use at sporting events; scanning air traffic, or the ocean horizon when too cold to go in; and birds/wildlife; then finally the night sky by age 11.

#55 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Interesting to see so many of us got into this hobby as youngsters and have continued it well into adulthood. Nothing like a lifetime hobby.

Dear old dad was quite knowledgeable when it came to matters scientific and that included the night sky.

During my high school years and college years, my family vacationed by traveling down Baja California. Those were days before paved roads so often we traveled 3 full days on roads that required 4WD to our camping spots. Often there was not a house or even a fish camp within 50 miles...

Needless to say, the skies were amazingly dark and very clear. Needless to say, my father's dear son was at that age when when sons are not interested in dear old dad's wisdom, those wonderful nights were wasted and the dear son only became enamored with the night sky in his later years.

What could have been. :(

Jon

#56 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:24 AM

I made a 6 inch f/8 Newtonian, ff. the Thompson and Texereau route, at about 12-13.

But after using it for the usual Saturn rings, etc., I found that a family WW II Busch 10 x 50 , with erect images, was more fun, particularly to learn the sky ,

Somewhat later, I read the classic Henry Paul article " Big Viewing with Giant Binoculars", in a 1962 Review of Popular Astronomy periodical issue. That whetted my appetite for larger, mounted, binoculars.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics