Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

Wow! I had no idea they were even working on this. Going to slap it on my NexStar 11 GPS and have some fun. I was looking at Meade's Light-switch and thinking how cool that would be, to just let the scope align itself.

So I just pre-ordered one. Can't wait to try it out! :jump:

StarSense Accessory

Stacy

#2 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Originally it was supposed to be available in April, now pushed out to end of June or July. Looks interesting. Wonder if it works at twilight with a few of the bright stars out or if it needs darker sky.

Jim

#3 tboconnor

tboconnor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

I'll be getting one. I'm also getting a skyfi unit, and skyafari. Man I'm lazy :-)

#4 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Originally it was supposed to be available in April, now pushed out to end of June or July. Looks interesting. Wonder if it works at twilight with a few of the bright stars out or if it needs darker sky.

Jim

Hmmm... Never thought of that. I do usually like to set up early and check out what's up. If I'm out for a few nights, I just hibernate. That's another reason the 8" Light-switch was so appealing. I have a second tripod though so setup is easier. But I live on a lake though so even on a good night it's bad. :bawling: Ultimately, I think it will be a quite useful item. As I get older I don't like looking through the finder and whatnot.

Oh yes... sorry. I DO think it will require some darkness. :grin:

#5 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

I'll be getting one. I'm also getting a skyfi unit, and skyafari. Man I'm lazy :-)

Those two are the bee's knee's. :bow: I'm too cheap for the StarSense though.

#6 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:03 AM

Like Ron... I'm too cheap (or as I say >> frugal) to spend my money on a StarSence

Now if it sold for less then 50 bucks I may be temped but even then I would have to do some "serious thinking"

Bob G.

#7 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, way overpriced. Should be about half what it is, but I haven't done any scope upgrades for quite awhile.

Guess I could sell my old controller to recoup some of the cost?

I think I even have two of those around here somewhere.

Time to consolidate!

#8 gaz-in

gaz-in

Viking 1

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

wow...it will work on my nexstar GPS!

#9 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

If the new hand controller plugs into the same port as the old one, and the star-sense plugs into the controller, where does the ski-fi/ski-wire hook up? Is there a 2nd port on the hand controller?

I don't need this gadget, but it would be nice to have; however, if I can't rock & roll with my sky-wire/skysafari/iPad setup, then the whole works is useless to me.

#10 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 03 May 2013 - 03:22 PM

Maybe I'm missing something here... If all this device does is align the scope, why would anyone want to spend more than $300 for it? Is there some other functionality I'm not aware of?

The alignment routines in the CPC scopes are some of the easiest I've ever used and, if done with even reasonable care, sufficiently accurate to put any visible object in the field of view of a 24mm eyepiece in my CPC 1100.

I can find a lot of better uses for three hundred bucks.

Don:usa:

#11 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:03 AM

A look at the forums shows that there are a lot of people who find the align process difficult.

From what I've heard from the people who have auto align scopes - the Meade LS and the SkyProdigy - they think it's wonderful and wouldn't go back.

This may be a bit expensive but it's not compulsory.

Chris

#12 tboconnor

tboconnor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:22 AM

If the new hand controller plugs into the same port as the old one, and the star-sense plugs into the controller, where does the ski-fi/ski-wire hook up? Is there a 2nd port on the hand controller?

I don't need this gadget, but it would be nice to have; however, if I can't rock & roll with my sky-wire/skysafari/iPad setup, then the whole works is useless to me.

I guess since its only used for alignment, you can just unplug the starsense and plug the wireless controller in after the alignment is finished.

#13 tboconnor

tboconnor

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

Maybe I'm missing something here... If all this device does is align the scope, why would anyone want to spend more than $300 for it? Is there some other functionality I'm not aware of?

The alignment routines in the CPC scopes are some of the easiest I've ever used and, if done with even reasonable care, sufficiently accurate to put any visible object in the field of view of a 24mm eyepiece in my CPC 1100.

I can find a lot of better uses for three hundred bucks.

Don:usa:

I dont find it particularly difficult, but it IS a pain. Its borderline if its worth $300. (or more like $600 in Australia)

#14 Sorny

Sorny

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern MN

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Agreed, the alignment process is easy on Celestron scopes. Also agreed on the whole $300 being too much money for this gadget...

Life got way easier when I started using auto-2 star alignment. Polaris is easy to find, and with a level tripod, the scope is always pointing close to the next star, and it picks ones bright enough to be obvious which is the one it wants. I even had good luck with the SkyAlign with any random 3 bright objects, but Auto 2 Star is just so much faster.

I'm pretty sure I can be aligned faster than StarSense can align, but as I said before, I'm a sucker for gadgets...

#15 SLC Tortfeasor

SLC Tortfeasor

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Salt Lake City, UT

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

I'm excited for this. I've been wanting a Meade LS8 for the convenience of not having to align, but I've been holding off buying the Meade because of worries about their support and financial ability to remain a going concern. This devlopment from Celestron easily tilts the balance for me toward the Celestron.

Also the hard case for the NexStar is only $350, as opposed to $450 for the JMI hard case for the Meade.

I'm buying this thing today!

#16 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:16 PM

Hey Don and all,
For me the reason to get the starsense is my knowledge of stars and locations. Just the last time out it was naming stars had no clue where they were, have had that happen just too many times. If its not Vega, or that magnitude I just have a real hard time aligning and as my time is limited, I just would like something that would get me to the finished product a lot sooner and more accurate. I would love to be able to slew to a target and it be in the FOV. Am so tired of going from 40 MM E/P just to find target then going back to smaller E/P or camera. :foreheadslap:
Kasey

#17 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

Celestron"s tech blog "winks" while they answer "not at this time" for a question of will the StarSense serve as a guidescope.

Jim

#18 rsraney

rsraney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

I wonder what the required view range is. my best view from my home is on the back patio between two condo complexes. A 30deg stripe overhead, northwest to southeast. It kills me to alight my CGEM. All that head standing hurts! If this would get me viewing faster, sure!

#19 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

Yeah, I dislike the alignment procedures. I look forward to doing something else while my scope aligns itself. I haven't bought much for my main rig in a couple of years, so it will be a worthy upgrade. YMMV

#20 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Cancelled the order.

After my last star party and replacing my finder, I have found it's just too easy to align to justify the extra expense. If it were more like $129.95 I'd be all over it lol.

Stacy

#21 rsraney

rsraney

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

I am still ordering mine, just to see how it handles the small strip of weak sky i have between the row of townhouses I live in. I'll post a review once I have it and run a few checks on it.

#22 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

Cancelled the order.

After my last star party and replacing my finder, I have found it's just too easy to align to justify the extra expense. If it were more like $129.95 I'd be all over it lol.

Stacy

Stacy,

What finder did you switch to? I find the stock finder a bit of a pain to look through above 30deg or so. I also rarely need it once I'm aligned, unless I'm hopping to doubles from an atlas...

#23 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:34 PM

Stacy,

What finder did you switch to? I find the stock finder a bit of a pain to look through above 30deg or so. I also rarely need it once I'm aligned, unless I'm hopping to doubles from an atlas...

I actually went back to the original finder after using a 90 degree finder for two reasons. First, it's more compact so I can leave it on the scope during transport and as a result, usually keeps it's alignment.

Second, as it's a straight through finder, I can use the "two eyes open" method to zero in quickly on any bright star. (I open both eyes then just move the scope until the bright star "merges" with itself) Much easier and faster than any other method I've tried.

I also set the scope (tripod) up about 5 inches or so higher than the lowest setting as it's more comfortable when observing at or near zenith. If I want to look near the horizon, I can rotate the diagonal. I have an 80mm piggy back scope and that method works great for that scope as well.

I just pick alignment stars lower in the sky and don't usually have a problem. I only use the finder during alignment, because I have never failed to get the target somewhere in the EP FOV regardless what EP happens to be in there.

I use a CPC tripod on my NS11 BTW. ;)

Stacy

#24 KerryR

KerryR

Gemini

• Loc: SW Michigan

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

Got it. Thanks, Stacy.

I just (now) removed the 9x50 and replaced it with a Rigel.

#25 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

is this a typo? this is from the link in post # 1, when I select the star sense under key technologies.

"The HandControl allows you to automatically locate and point your SkyProdigy to over 4,000 celestial objects contained in its database"

it must be 40k not 4k, wouldn't you think? otherwise why would you use this hand control with 1/10th the database over the one currently provided with most goto systems report a 40,000 item database (CPC models for example).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics