Pre-Ordered StarSense Accessory

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

is this a typo? this is from the link in post # 1, when I select the star sense under key technologies.

"The HandControl allows you to automatically locate and point your SkyProdigy to over 4,000 celestial objects contained in its database"

it must be 40k not 4k, wouldn't you think? otherwise why would you use this hand control with 1/10th the database over the one currently provided with most goto systems report a 40,000 item database (CPC models for example).

Yes, must be a typo. The main page says "The StarSense Accessory includes a small digital camera that attaches to the telescope’s optical tube, along with a specialized hand controller. Just set up the accessory, push the Align button on the hand controller, and StarSense starts capturing and comparing images of the night sky against its internal database of 40,000 celestial objects"

#27 Paul McC

Paul McC

Apollo

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

This looks like a cool gizmo, but exceedingly expensive. Can it act as a camera as well as being an alignment tool? Does it's hand controller replace the normal CPC controller. Is this controller the same as the "Nexstar +" hand controller with all it's purported bells and whistles?

I'm still using my original hand controller that came with my CPC 1100 seven years ago! (And they said my "cheap" scope wouldn't last... lol)

I agree with many here that it's not that difficult to align a CPC scope. I always use the auto-two star method with Polaris being my first star and any other that's visible as my second, and my targets are generally near the center of a moderate power view.

But the ability for this gizmo to use more than 2 or 3 multiple targets to really squeeze out precise positioning is alluring. If the controller is a Nexstar + model (something I have seriously been thinking of buying to upgrade my scope) and one subtracts the cost of this from the StarSense price, it might be more reasonable.

Anyone know if it is a Nexstar + controller in the StarSense package?

Cheers,
Paul

ps- been gone from this site for too long! It's good to be back and read stuff like this!

#28 Stacy

Stacy

Star Partyer

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

There is a picture of the controller here. It looks like the one that came with a NS102 Refractor I have....

http://www.celestron...-accessory.html

#29 Bruce N

Bruce N

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Very cool but beyond my current budget, and... is it really necessary?

#30 cn register 5

cn register 5

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

It comes with its own hand controller, the last item in the overview.

The exact functionality remains to be be seen but the ability to use the camera to collect images isn't mentioned so it's probably safe to assume that this won't be supported.

Chris

#31 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

If it could be used as an autoguider and as a remote finder then it would be worth the $300 bucks. As it is I think at best it's a $99 product. Certainly it can't cost much more than $20 to make.

Al

#32 186vett

186vett

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

So, when available?

#33 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

B&H PhotoVideo showing it now back ordered until Aug 1. It's been slipping about a month each month. :-)

Jim

#34 DarthNebula

DarthNebula

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

I think i will have to get one of these as well. Love the idea of auto align!

#35 btieman

btieman

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

I have a borrowed Meade 6" LS. It is highly entertaining to let it do it's thing all by itself. But it's also frustrating. It needs fairly dark skies before you can even begin. It also doesn't know your local horizon so sometimes points at the house, etc...It recognizes the star isn't there, but not until it's slewed there and looked. And it takes ~10+ minutes.

I was all over the star-sense when I first saw it advertised--party because Celestron now has a response to the Meade LS. But, now that I've seen auto-image alignment in practice, I doubt I will ever get one. I'm sure Celestron's implementation will have learned something from Meade's but even if it's twice as good as Meade's, I can't see that it's worth it for my observing pattern. Typically, I'm fully aligned before the sun has even set. Image based auto-alignment costs me observing time :(

But it is way cool to watch!

#36 Paul McC

Paul McC

Apollo

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:27 AM

I have a borrowed Meade 6" LS. It is highly entertaining to let it do it's thing all by itself. But it's also frustrating. It needs fairly dark skies before you can even begin. It also doesn't know your local horizon so sometimes points at the house, etc...It recognizes the star isn't there, but not until it's slewed there and looked. And it takes ~10+ minutes.

I was all over the star-sense when I first saw it advertised--party because Celestron now has a response to the Meade LS. But, now that I've seen auto-image alignment in practice, I doubt I will ever get one. I'm sure Celestron's implementation will have learned something from Meade's but even if it's twice as good as Meade's, I can't see that it's worth it for my observing pattern. Typically, I'm fully aligned before the sun has even set. Image based auto-alignment costs me observing time :(

But it is way cool to watch!

Excellent points! You just talked me out of it! :D

#37 king1522

king1522

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

I wonder if it has problems finding alignment stars in light polluted areas. I have the Meade LS8 and it's not too good in Dallas area light pollution. Often it won't align to the star it selects. I'm assuming the light confuses it. Also, my Meade, after alignment, is not terribly accurate. At times the object I am searching for is not in the field of view.
Don

--------------------
Don

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics