ETX Revisted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

Last night we had a break in the clouds and the sky seemed pretty steady. Jupiter is now in front of my house in the western sky. I rarely observe from the front yard as I'm facing 3 street lights. Anyway, I grabbed my 125 ETX for a quick look of Jupiter and blocked some of the stray lights.

I popped in my 19Pan what a great view the EP gives! Beautiful nice big round FOV and sharp field stops. Jupiter and 4 moons looked really nice. Could clearly see some belts. Then I used the 13T6 for 150x, still good resolution.

Next I moved to the backyard where I normally observe from with not much stray light. After waiting for Saturn to climb over the tree line I had it in my 19mm for 100x. It looked really good and could just start to make out Cassini? I then went for the 13mm and that was the sweet spot. Very nice image and I have forgot how well this scope does on planets. I'm either out there with my 80mm or the 8" SCT. With both these super planets out more, the ETX is going to get a lot of use. Better change the batteries as they have been in there for over 5 yrs!

Bob

#2 redlinedb16a

redlinedb16a

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

In my opinion the etx 125 is in a class of its own

Awesome optics.....if only they perfected the goto
But honestly with a lil work its a great scope

#3 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

+1 Love my 125.

#4 cuivienor

cuivienor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

Yes the 125 is absolutely great - mine did come wildly out of collimation (not exaggerating: out of focus star was an eggplant, in focus star was a Chinese fan), but after correcting that, it became absolutely perfect.

It is in a backpack, with sturdy photo tripod, tripod adapter, eyepieces and filters, replacement batteries, the ultimate grab and go observatory, always ready to be carried away!

Yannick

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Di you collimate it yourself? I keep mine in the kitchen on the tripod ready to grab as I did last night and had some great views on Saturn. I was surprise to find the hand controller still works after 8yr. old batteries. I need to change them today!

#6 cuivienor

cuivienor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

Yes I collimated it myself - nobody to do it for you in Japan, the official Meade reseller actually refused to do it!

So I did the collimation first on an out of focus Polaris for rough collimation, then on the in focus Polaris for the finer adjustments.

8 years with the same batteries!? :) you definitely need to change that ASAP, they might actually be leaking in there... Difficult to wash off if that happened!

Enjoy your ETX!

Yannick

#7 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

Yep, too long for sure and I hope I don't have corrosion. I just bought a new set of batteries and will change them today.

#8 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Ok, just changed the batteries and they were Duracell Ultras. I replaced them with the same kind. Now I recall they were in there for 10yrs. and still worked!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics