• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Just finished my conversion from the stock SE mount to the AVX. I bought an extra counterweight, and I installed it while setting up the mount, but I suspect that with just the 8" OTA and the stock finder, that 22lbs of counterweight is overkill. Should I remove one? :)

#27 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:16 PM

Dan,

Do you actually put your SV110 on your SE mount? I would never consider putting my SV115 on mine. Much too long and heavy for me. I do use my R130sf Vixen on the SE mount though.

Stan

No, definitely not. The SV110 is way too big. The only scopes I've really used on the 8SE mount are the Shortube 80, and the EON 72 (same scope as the AstroTech 72mm).

Well that's a relief! I just couldn't see that long refractor on the SE. My Onyx 80 and SV 70 are just perfect for it. Good size, length and weight for the SE 6/8. I use that set up at public outreach a lot. It's a popular combination with the kids. Sometimes I use it as a table top set up.

Stan

#28 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Just finished my conversion from the stock SE mount to the AVX. I bought an extra counterweight, and I installed it while setting up the mount, but I suspect that with just the 8" OTA and the stock finder, that 22lbs of counterweight is overkill. Should I remove one? :)

I use one 11# and one 4# CW when I mount my C8 with finder and dew shield to my CG-5. I'm using the longer CGEM CW bar on the CG-5.

Stan

#29 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:52 PM

I went with just the one 11 pounder and it balanced perfectly!

#30 tknice

tknice

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

Learning a lot from this thread.. I have the SE mount and CG-5 and definitely prefer the GEM for stability, smoother star hoping, and astrophotography. I don't like the awkward positions of the diagonal compared to the SE mount. In terms of alignment, I ordered an Orion 70mm multi-finder which should ship next month--excited about that!

Do you find yourself adjusting the diagonal as much as me and also, do I need to worry about the threads of on the back of the OTA? Is there anything to put on the threads to make sure they don't wear out?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics