• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wis., USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

Looking for some opinions on this finder scope. I'm looking to replace my straight through scope on my 8" dob. I'm tired of crinking my neck just to look through it.

I'm assuming there isn't too much to worry about since it's just a finder scope? Or, are there things to worry about, things to avoid? Looking for some wisdom on finder scopes. Thanks all!!

#2 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

I knew that feeling all too well, especially on a refractor. Wanted to see something at zenith? Sure, no problem, lay on your back like you're changing your oil. :lol: I recommend the Orion 9x50 RACI:

http://www.telescope...k-9x50-Right...

I absolutely love mine, if something were to happen to it, I would immediately buy another. They also make an illuminated reticle version, but it costs a little bit more.

#3 Gary Riley

Gary Riley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: White Bluff, TN

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

+1 for the 9x50 RACI!

#4 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I knew that feeling all too well, especially on a refractor. Wanted to see something at zenith? Sure, no problem, lay on your back like you're changing your oil. :lol: I recommend the Orion 9x50 RACI:

http://www.telescope...k-9x50-Right...

I absolutely love mine, if something were to happen to it, I would immediately buy another. They also make an illuminated reticle version, but it costs a little bit more.

Ok, now that one looks a lot like the one I linked to, but the price is a little different. Any reason why one might be better than another? I assume one might offer a little more magnification, but is that really that important on a finder scope?

#5 StrangeDejavu

StrangeDejavu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

Ok, now that one looks a lot like the one I linked to, but the price is a little different. Any reason why one might be better than another? I assume one might offer a little more magnification, but is that really that important on a finder scope?

I think the link was left out of the original post, mind linking it again?

#6 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

LOL!!! What a dork I am. Forgot to link it. :foreheadslap:
Here it is:

http://www.telescope...k-6x30-Right...

I think the link was left out of the original post, mind linking it again?

#7 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

Wow, then I screwed that up too. I'm just a mess today.

#8 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Or this GSO RACI from Agina GSO 8x50 RACI I'll most likely be getting this one for my Dob and XLT102.

#9 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

• Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

You want the 9*50. The 6*30 just would be enough field of view. Plus the magnification of the 9*50 makes it easier to see what your looking for. Of course people also love zero magnification of the telrads and such.

#10 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

So, the 9X50 will offer a wider field of view, and that's the only difference? Is there any way to tell what the field of view is on my current finder?

#11 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:39 PM

I haven't seen a 6 by 30 offered anywhere and $45-50 will get you a good used 8/9 by 50. Antares and GSO are all good names. The tall Synta braket is good with the dovetail shoe making it easy to remove for transport.

#12 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

The 9*50 has a 9 magnification while the 6*30 has a 6 time magnification.

#13 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

The 9*50 has a 9 magnification while the 6*30 has a 6 time magnification.

So, is that second number a measurement for field of view?

#14 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Yes.

#15 tag1260

tag1260

Apollo

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

There actually happens to be a GSO in the classifieds right now. ;)

#16 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

There actually happens to be a GSO in the classifieds right now. ;)

Yeah, I saw that, but it has no mounting shoe. Didn't know if that's an issue or not. Is it?

#17 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:20 PM

The mounting shoe on your scope may or may not accept a specific finder. If not it's easy to order the Orion finder shoe (be sure to specify the non-SCT model) with the RACI and swap it out with the existing screws. Might just call Orion and tell them what you have and they can advise whether you need the substitute shoe. I use my 9x50 RACI on both of my large scopes, with a shoe mounted on each. It's better than Tylenol for that straight through finder pain in the neck.

#18 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Looking for some opinions on this finder scope. I'm looking to replace my straight through scope on my 8" dob. I'm tired of crinking my neck just to look through it.

I'm assuming there isn't too much to worry about since it's just a finder scope? Or, are there things to worry about, things to avoid? Looking for some wisdom on finder scopes. Thanks all!!

Something to consider:

I know that many like RACI finders on their Dobsonians, I prefer a straight through finder. With an RACI finder, you are looking in a different direction than the scope is pointing so pointing the scope to the first guide star requires using either another finder or sighting down the tube. With a straight through finder, I am looking in the direction the scope is pointing, I can keep both eyes open so the finder itself functions as a unit power finder.

I think the most important factor in successfully using a straight through finder is a dedicated observing chair that allows easy adjustment of the seat height. If you are trying to stand or are using a fixed height chair, a straight through finder can be awkward. But with a chair, I find it's quite easy.

Jon

#19 pjensen

pjensen

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Highland Village, Tx

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Telrad.

Once you get one, you will never want anything else. If it is placed at the top the scope, it is easy to look up at the sky (along the tube) and see exactly what you are pointed at - no guessing. Moving the scope in the correct direction is easy. The time it takes (to do this) is so short that you won't get that neck crink.

Paul

#20 TexasRed

TexasRed

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Texas

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

When comparing a 6x30 finder with a 9x50, please be aware that the second number is the diameter of the objective lens in millimeters. Most people consider a 30mm objective lens to be not quite large enough for astronomical use. A 50mm objective will produce a larger exit pupil at the same magnification and show stars over a full magnitude fainter, as well as forming a much sharper image.

If you don't like craning your neck to look through your finder or point your scope in the right general direction, just try shining a green laser pointer into the eyepiece of the finder.

#21 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

Telrad.

Once you get one, you will never want anything else. If it is placed at the top the scope, it is easy to look up at the sky (along the tube) and see exactly what you are pointed at - no guessing. Moving the scope in the correct direction is easy. The time it takes (to do this) is so short that you won't get that neck crink.

Paul

In my experience, Telrad's are great when the skies are dark and clear. When I am out in the mountains, I find most objects with a Telrad. From a light polluted backyard, there are large regions of the sky without sufficient stars to use a Telrad so a magnifying finder that will show the fainter stars is required.

Jon

#22 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Something to consider:

I know that many like RACI finders on their Dobsonians, I prefer a straight through finder. With an RACI finder, you are looking in a different direction than the scope is pointing so pointing the scope to the first guide star requires using either another finder or sighting down the tube. With a straight through finder, I am looking in the direction the scope is pointing, I can keep both eyes open so the finder itself functions as a unit power finder.

I think the most important factor in successfully using a straight through finder is a dedicated observing chair that allows easy adjustment of the seat height. If you are trying to stand or are using a fixed height chair, a straight through finder can be awkward. But with a chair, I find it's quite easy.

Jon

That is a good point. I'll keep that in mind. If I get a Raci, I'll still keep the straight through just in case I don't like it.

#23 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

The telrad has my curiosity, but there is a lot of light pollution around here, that has me concerned. I wish there was a way to try a few different ones out before I buy something. I know, a star party, but the only one I know of around here, still has a web site, but apparently no one gets together any more.

#24 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:51 PM

Also, with a 50mm finderscope some of the Messier objects can be seen directly in the finder (if light pollution isn't terrible), so they're much nicer in that respect than the smaller 6X30 finders. I love my right angle finders for starhopping.

#25 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Also, with a 50mm finderscope some of the Messier objects can be seen directly in the finder (if light pollution isn't terrible), so they're much nicer in that respect than the smaller 6X30 finders. I love my right angle finders for starhopping.

I think I'm really leaning towards this.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics