Enjoy your hobby--enjoy your life.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Frank. A little reality check is always good. Scope time is among the best ways to experience the moment... be here now, as they say.

#27 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Great post, Frank, and a good reminder. I try very hard to live by this, but its difficult. Its so easy to get caught up in everything and forget WHY you do it in the first place.

#28 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

I often find my eyes drawn toward the sky when I walk outside at night, even if I'm unable to do any observing that night (even if it's cloudy - hoping....). Just something majestic about the night sky.

#29 audioaficionado

audioaficionado

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Medford, Orygun, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:51 PM

Great thread!

I just picked this hobby back up last year after a 50 year hiatus. I don't know much when it comes to the star names. I can only find Polaris and a few other objects at this time LOL. I can hardly wait until I get up into the local mountains camping with my telescope.

#30 FrankJ

FrankJ

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 01 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

I wish I could relax and just observe, but I can't. I have to record the transparency/seeing/temperature and how each fluctuated roughly throughout the evening. Then at some point, take out the SQM (even if I'm not at a dark site) and take the reading just for the record. Then I have to remember to save the image of the Clear Sky Chart for the location that I observing at that night. Those are all for the observing report that I write after my session, whether the session was 30 minutes or 3 hours. Then during the session I have to remember all objects viewed (not too hard) and also all eyepiece/magnifications that object was viewed at (a little harder) and which view was best (ok, now that can be a bit much). To help with this, I sometimes use a voice recorder on my phone. In order to earn my AL stripes, I use my scopes but without goto or push-to, so I better have my smartphone out with the SkySafari or my iPad so I can map out each star hop. If I wanted to do some eyepiece comparisons I have to fit those in as well and be sure to record my observations. And the list goes on...

I can certainly understand where you're coming from. It would take some of the enjoyment from it. Some years ago I used to raise African violets in our basement under lights. Using lights under the right conditions, they do very well. I really enjoyed it and had dozens of different varieties and hundreds of plants. As I said, I enjoyed it. That is until it got to the point where I had too many and I had to spend too much time to take care of them. It was then work and not relaxation and enjoyment. I thought to myself, that if I can't enjoy what I do, there is no point. I then gave most of them away and cut way back on how many I had to take care of. I then started to enjoy it again.. Is there a way you could cut back on some of the things that you do so that you would have some time to just sit, pick up your binoculars and enjoy? I don't want to sound like a know-it-all because I'm not and I don't know your circumstances. But it's just a thought.

#31 novalad

novalad

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Uxbridge,Ontario--Canada

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Food for thought!
Many times I have been faced with not great seeing conditions and became frustrated over not seeing a lot of detail on the planets or other objects at higher magnifications but then I have reminded myself of some of the finest moments I enjoyed stargazing were moments of using low power mag and wide field views to just enjoy the majesty of the cosmos:)

--------------------------------------
Skywatcher ED Pro 120 f/7.5
Astrotech 66ED
Set of Brandon Eyepieces
Meade 2X 140 APO Barlow
Antares Variable Polarizer 1.25"

#32 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

If you put your telescope in a car seat and buckle it in facing backwards.....you might be into astronomy.

If you think a Big Mac is a telescope....you might be into astronomy.

#33 geekgroupie

geekgroupie

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Puebo, CO

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

20 years ago if someone would have told me I'd become a physics/cosmology junkie, I'd have laughed. Indeed, I have exceedingly and abundantly beyond all I could have asked or imagined.

#34 Mxplx2

Mxplx2

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: PA USA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

I thought I heard the Eagles song "Take it Easy" in the background when I read your post, Frank.

#35 FrankJ

FrankJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

I thought I heard the Eagles song "Take it Easy" in the background when I read your post, Frank.

Would you believe--I don't remember hearing that song nor have I heard of the band. The music I grew up with was in the late 40s and early 50s. So just for the heck of it, I got on Google and listened to the song. I really liked it and I like the group. I just might get a CD. If I do it will sure surprise my grandchildren. :)

#36 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:16 AM

Would you believe--I don't remember hearing that song nor have I heard of the band. The music I grew up with was in the late 40s and early 50s. So just for the heck of it, I got on Google and listened to the song. I really liked it and I like the group. I just might get a CD. If I do it will sure surprise my grandchildren. :)

It was written by Jackson Brown. Ya might like his version, too. I'm a musician, and Take It Easy has been a longtime standard for bands to play over the years. I love the Eagles. They're what we call "California country music," lol. I also love 40's and 50's music and have played lots of "big band" music. Try picking up the Eagles Greatest Hits. You might like a lot of their other songs, too.

#37 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I wish I could relax and just observe, but I can't. I have to record the transparency/seeing/temperature and how each fluctuated roughly throughout the evening. Then at some point, take out the SQM (even if I'm not at a dark site) and take the reading just for the record. Then I have to remember to save the image of the Clear Sky Chart for the location that I observing at that night. Those are all for the observing report that I write after my session, whether the session was 30 minutes or 3 hours. Then during the session I have to remember all objects viewed (not too hard) and also all eyepiece/magnifications that object was viewed at (a little harder) and which view was best (ok, now that can be a bit much). To help with this, I sometimes use a voice recorder on my phone. In order to earn my AL stripes, I use my scopes but without goto or push-to, so I better have my smartphone out with the SkySafari or my iPad so I can map out each star hop. If I wanted to do some eyepiece comparisons I have to fit those in as well and be sure to record my observations. And the list goes on...

Thanks for reminding me why I enjoy so much a simple scope on an alt-az mount, no setting circles, no planisphere, and insufficient knowledge of what exactly is up there so I can just set up and look around.

I love summer evenings when I will just wander around Sagittarius, Scorpio, and Ophiuchus 'finding' cool stuff to look at. Those things have names and designations? Who knew? :)

#38 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Same thing here,, 15hr work days, commutes, living on junk food and coffee. Then I found my sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels were in the stratosphere,also glaucoma.
Packed the job in,decided to retire two years early, smartest move ever, give me a pair of binos,a drop of scotch, lifes good, amen to that.DA :rockon:

#39 jhirsch

jhirsch

Mariner 2

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

Very inspirational post Frank. Advice I'm sure all of us at some time or another need to heed. Here's to may more years of learning and simply enjoying all the night sky has to offer.

#40 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:17 PM

What they said.

#41 keyth

keyth

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

thanks for that inspiring post. I am 58yrs old and have worked for 39yrs straight
thinking of retiring soon and will try to train myself to take life the way you see it . The best things in life are free and many times we forget that
thanks again Keyth

#42 FrankJ

FrankJ

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

thanks for that inspiring post. I am 58yrs old and have worked for 39yrs straight
thinking of retiring soon and will try to train myself to take life the way you see it . The best things in life are free and many times we forget that
thanks again Keyth

Keyth--I'm glad that my post came across to you the way that it did. You are my oldest son's age. He is looking forward to retirement in a few years so that he can enjoy his family as I and my wife are. Good luck to your retirement; I hope you enjoy it as I am.
~Frank

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics