• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cirrus1500

cirrus1500

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hello, i am located in Thailand (lat. 13N), and I would like to set up my LX90 in equatorial mode. Unfortunately Meade's wedge which I planned to purchase will not support latitude under 20N. I am thinking if it is possible to use Meade's wedge and set it to its lowest latitude, and adjust the remaining wedge angle down to 13N by adjusting the legs of the tripod so that effectively the scope is pointing towards the NCP at 13 deg north. I know doing so will reduce the stability of the setup, but perhaps it is still stable enough? Can anyone with experience with Meade's wedge give some advice on whether it is possible? I would like to use the setup to experiment with AP. Thanks.

#2 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:45 AM

This drawing is of a wedge I designed to put an ETX125 on a Meade SCT field tripod. Beefed up it may serve for your experimentation. I think you will want to move the tripod mounting out to get a better balance of you scope and mount. You want the center of gravity over the center of the tripod for safety. Hope this helps.

Attached Files

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'd be a little concerned about making the tripod unstable. One thing that you might consider is making a wedge that fits under the Meade wedge that will add an additional 10 degrees of tilt. That way the center of gravity remains nice and centered over the tripod.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics