• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KShank

KShank

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: DFW Megaplex

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hi, been practicing my technique and now ready to buy a filter to begin the real collection of shareable data. My question is quite simple. For my system (STL11000) the cost for a J/C V filter is about the same as the Sloan g' filter. Any thoughts by users if it is better to get started with the Sloan or stay J/C for now?

Thanks,
keith

#2 StupendousMan

StupendousMan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'd say that either is fine, but I'd suggest going with the V filter. If you are going to work in a single bandpass, and relatively bright stars, there's much more information in V than in g'.

#3 Ed Wiley

Ed Wiley

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas, USA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Agreed. Further V-filter observations are the majority of those submitted to the AAVSO and most of the comparison stars are reported in BVRI photometry. I would avoid Sloan g' entirely and stick to V to begin. Then add B and either R or I if you want to do more than one filter. (I am assuming you are a beginning photometrist -- correct?)

Example: When I started I shot a bunch of standard fields (M67, Landolt) so that I could compare my results with "knowns." These are reported in BVRI. Are they reported in Sloan g'? I don't know.

Ed

#4 KShank

KShank

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: DFW Megaplex

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

Hi thanks to the good feedback. I appreciate the view, I was not sure if the Sloan was going to replace the JC system due to the sharper bandpass and correlation to some of the newer systems. But the view on verifying to known sequences sounds most reasonable, and also being able to get mentoring support as I move forward. My thought is to spend a year getting fully synchronized with just using the V filter as my practice runs (asteroids) have been unfiltered.

Again, thanks for the inputs, next stop AD for the V filter!
keith

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics