Good Dark Skies near Toronto Ontario?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NG98

NG98

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Title explains it all. In Ontario, which provincial/national park has little to no light pollution and is really good for stargazing?

#2 bogg

bogg

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bruce County Ontario

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Two parks located in dark sky's are Silent lake provincial park north of Peterborough and south of Bancroft. The other is Cyprus Lake federal park near Tobermory. Two others in dark sky areas are Grundy Lake north of Parry Sound and Restoule South of North bay. There is also Balsam lake east of Orillia, Awenda west of Orillia. There is presquille near Trenton and Long Point and Turkey Point near Port Dover. The last three I am not shure how dark the skys would be. There are others check the provincial park website for other information. Also note the campers like their fires, works almost as good as clouds. :flame: :cloudy: some propane lanterns might be able to cast shadows in the daytime and they use them at night( hope you don't get near one like I did one year). People are very friendly and I have always had interest in viewing through my scope.

#3 Astrohat

Astrohat

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

"Dickinson spent two years developing a “Dark Sky Viewing Area” about three hours from the city in the wilderness north of Highway 401 near Erinsville in Lennox-Addington County. "

That's 2 hours from Toronto. I am planning on going there this Summer when the Milky Way looks its best.

http://www.thestar.c...s_meant_to_b...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics