8 replies to this topic

#1 FrankG

FrankG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond, Va.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

APOLOGIES if this is the wrong forum to post this:
The 4th annual East Coast Video Astronomy Rendezvous has been set for Sept. 29 through Oct. 6 in Galax, Va. The first two were held near Luray but last year it moved to a site near Galax, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near the N.C. line, Grayson Highlands State Park and Mt. Rogers. There are great facilities, dark skies and lots to see and do during the day as well. Hope those of you with video cameras or those just learning about video astronomy can make it. It's a great place to learn and run your cameras and monitors without getting hollered at.
:-)

Frank

A link to the ECVAR site (not updated yet): http://ecvarstarparty.wix.com/ecvar

#2 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:45 AM

Frank,

Jacquie called Robert Sells at the campground and made our reservations yesterday. We will be arriving on Saturday the 28th and staying the entire time. Hope to see a large turnout . For those interested in seeing what video astronomy is all about, this is an event worth attending.

Jack Huerkamp

#3 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:29 AM

Frank,

How many were in attendance at ECVAR III?

Tony

#4 FrankG

FrankG

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:00 AM

Somebody with a better memory than mine jump in, but as I recall it was about a dozen though it varied as the event went on and people came and left. The cameras, I believe, were all Mallincams of various types and the scopes ranged from refractors to a 30" Starstructure dob. I hope the attendance will be larger this year now that the new site has been proven terrific. Although it's in Southwest Virginia, it's not far off an interstate and quite accessible.

#5 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

Frank,

Here is a link to the Photobucket Album I created from last year's event.

http://s25.photobuck...rary/ECVAR 2012

Jack

#6 FrankG

FrankG

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Jack,

Many thanks for the photos (and for not putting my 15" in the same shot as Duane's 30")!

Frank

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

It is a great event and worth a trip to go. Unlike so many star parties that have gotten way to complex or expensive, this bunch will teach you if you want help or just relax an enjoy the astro video's views on each others displays. Galax is a nice area. Recommend it. If we are within 500 miles and in the US, we will go.

#8 jujumaster

jujumaster

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:24 AM

My daughter and I will be coming again. We had a blast last year. I particularly enjoyed how we got various visitors from the campground to come by and view. The site manager was great while we were there. If I recall, we were far more interesting than the 'leaf people' that come later to view the fall color changes.

Jack - Can I place a few orders for pickup there?

#9 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

No problem placing an orer for delivery at ECVAR.

Jack

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics