That's not a raccoon!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

I was once again interrupted by a bear during my imaging session. Mama and her cubs were feasting on my garbage a few feet from my telescope. At first I thought they were racoons, but my wife's expletive clued me in. Good thing, because I was going to run out there. And I should know better, because this is the second time I've been chased out by a bear.

At one point I was face to face with mama through the window. I was about a foot away, when I pulled out my iPhone camera. The flash sent her running.

I did drive down my driveway to see if I could snap some pictures. I think there were 3 cubs, but I couldn't tell. I only got one in the photo.

Mama
http://i288.photobuc...zpsf40d553d.jpg

The cub in a tree
http://i288.photobuc...zps5df15c08.jpg

#2 ebacon

ebacon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester Hills, MI

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Awesome.

A curious raccoon visited during my last imaging session. Glad he wasn't a bear. :shocked:

#3 artao

artao

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SW Wisconsin

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Neither image is showing for me. They are both just grey.

#4 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Neither image is showing for me. They are both just grey.

Maybe this will work. I'm having some odd troubles posting pictures.

https://www.dropbox....z0dn8/bear1.jpg

https://www.dropbox....jtk/bearcub.jpg

#5 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

• Loc: Aurora Colorado

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Holy Cow! LOL I get coyotes that visit me from time to time, and the occasional stray cat, but a bear is a whole different level. Nice shots!

#6 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

What did you use for processing? The eyes are over exposed but overall good catch.

LOL.

I get the occasional skunk and/or raccoon but you win with the bear for sure.

Be careful.

Guylain

#7 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Wow! That is scary, glad you didn't go over and try to run them off.

#8 proteus5

proteus5

Apollo

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Adam,

Nice wide field shots of Ursa Major and Ursa Minor !!!

All kidding aside, glad your OK...

#9 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Adam,

Nice wide field shots of Ursa Major and Ursa Minor !!!

All kidding aside, glad your OK...

You win! I was trying to come up with a bear astronomy pun, and couldn't. How did I forget the bear?

#10 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

My friend and I were our in rural Nebraska observing one night and kept hearing something in the tall grass down from us. My buddy got curious and went down to chase it out,
BIG mistake... IT WAS A SKUNK!!!
It was a miserable ride home for me in his little pickup cab!
WOW was he STINKY!!!!!!!!!!
Took 15 gallons of Tomato juice to scrub himself off.

#11 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:37 AM

:funny: :goodjob:

Ok this thread is now officially awesome.

#12 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

LOL, nice !

#13 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Western NH

Posted 02 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

A friend of mine had a skunk crawl into his car when he left the door open and it let loose. The insurance company totaled the car as they couldn't get the smell out

Norm

#14 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

I'm afraid if that had happened to me there would have been an announcement something like, "Clean up in aisle 3!"

I was out one night watching an image come up on the computer screen at a very dark site when something all of a sudden tapped me on the leg. I think I rose about 4 feet straight up in the air...it was a cat wanting my attention!

#15 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Yeah. It was a fun night. Besides the fact that I was flipping the lights on and off during my imaging session, I think I got some good data. Won't know until I get working on it.

#16 Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam

Vostok 1

• Loc: smack dab in the middle of the US (almost)

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

That was the definitive word on those photos, Hilarious! :roflmao:

When I lived in MN I went with "the bear always gets the right-of-way" protocol to be sure.

Around here, in featureless KS, one could encounter squirrels, skunks, raccoons, foxes, coyotes, bobcats...and in the last 10 years we have had 6 confirmed puma sightings. Freaking Mountain Lions in KS! HOW?!? :confused:

My wife, who has a degree in Zoological Biology gave details to officials on the 3rd recorded sighting, in 02. The sightings have been few an far between. One of the earliest ones was shot, but it begs the question...where are they coming from?

Western KS is far too open for any to have crossed that great expanse. I imagine they would have had to have followed a river. I've never heard of any in the Ozarks. Bears— yes, Cougars, no. There are some in MN, there may be a route from there.

Anyway, so far all we have encountered is my Folks' Horse. :smirk:

#17 DaemonGPF

DaemonGPF

Redonkulous

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:21 PM

Adam, I have to thank you now. I showed my wife this (and she is well aware of how expensive our astro-gear is, and knows how much I'm about to reinvest to build my new rig) and she realized we'll be living in areas that have potential bear visitors. SHE actually suggested to me to build an observatory when we get settled!! Reasoning? She would cry if she saw a bear ransack my gear - not me - "the gear". LOL

:thewave: :yay: :woot: :hamsterdance: :whee:

#18 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

Adam, I have to thank you now. I showed my wife this (and she is well aware of how expensive our astro-gear is, and knows how much I'm about to reinvest to build my new rig) and she realized we'll be living in areas that have potential bear visitors. SHE actually suggested to me to build an observatory when we get settled!! Reasoning? She would cry if she saw a bear ransack my gear - not me - "the gear". LOL

:thewave: :yay: :woot: :hamsterdance: :whee:

That's good to hear. I'm just in the process of building an observatory now. My first real construction project. I almost didn't setup because, well, I'll have an observatory in a few weeks. But I looked at the weather and I've never seen it look so good. I may actually get a week of clear skies.

One concern I had is that the bear and cubs were ransacking the worksite. I spent the last two weeks digging, measuring and setting my strings. Fortunately, they only got my garbage.

Here's the site for the observatory. There is a rooster loose in my woods, so I'm thinking I'll call it the Loose Rooster Observatory, of course the bear incident has me questioning that.

Posted Image

#19 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

We've brought a few critters back from our trips, all unintentional.. but the craziest was a huge squirrel that climbed up into the truck frame and rode home with us. We didn't realize he was there until later that evening when we heard noises in the garage... he was going crazy trying to get out, jumping all over everything ... Couldn't catch him so just left the garage door open and he disappeared sometime during the evening ...

... needless to say, we were cleaning up cocoa puffs for some time ... :bigshock:

#20 Dan Finnerty

Dan Finnerty

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Pasadena, CA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:00 AM

Sounds funny but DO NOT get between Mama and her cubs or we will be reading about you on CNN! :shocked:

Last summer I was out with my refractor observing something or the other near zenith so my observing chair was as low as it could go with me virtually sitting on the ground. I saw something black and white approach me out of the corner of my eye. Presuming it was my cat I reach out to scratch it ears. Fortunately I happened to glance over at just before I touched it and realized it was a skunk! I froze, not even breathing. The cute little feller gave my fingers a sniff and walked right past my feet and went on about his business. It still makes me wince to think what would have happened if I'd actually touched him. Would the insurance company have totaled my telescope? (after they died laughing)...

Good luck with the bears, I think I'd rather deal with skunks, they have better temperments.

#21 Erskin71

Erskin71

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

I got a fox a few times and get cats from time to time at home. When I head out to the state park I sometimes hear movement in the tree line. Thats when I go sit in the car :step:

#22 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

She was back last night. I almost walked out on her in my garbage, but I saw the can tipped over in front of my door. Fortunately, she showed up 5m after I shut everything down.

My garbage was all over the place, but I wasn't worried about the scope.

Or maybe I should've been...
Posted Image

Look at the fence. That bent area is where she jumped over. There is no more then 36" between the fence and my mount. I would be surprised if she didn't bump the mount. I'll know tonight when I look through the polar scope.

#23 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

My PHD guiding bear alarm went off again last night. My friends came over last night to look out for the bear and she showed up. We never saw her, but we heard her.

I heard the PHD alarm and looked at my iPad. A big spike on the PHD graph. The exposure finished a few seconds later and I got my first bad sub since I bought my Mach 1. I knew what happened, my friend didn't believe me until he saw the fence. It's bent further.

If she's back tonight, my wife wants me to call game control. Normally, I'd say no, but I don't want to buy a new telescope.

#24 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Try pouring some bleach in and on your garbage can, the smell might be enough to make her leave.

#25 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Garbage is in the garage.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics