• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

Last night was very clear so around 11pm I took both scopes out. I was trying to find M57 again but it was still too low in the LP over houses and trees so I thought I'd just scan the sky and take in all the stars and doubles. I then remembered there was a Globular in Hercules so I scanned the area with my Dob and bingo, there it was, M13. WOW what a sight. I usually enjoy open clusters more but M13 was just amazing. I used different ep's and mag and settled on my 12mm Paradigm ED which I think gave me the best views. The core was very bright but I was able to see dozens on stars in the outer edges and at times it looked like a spiral galaxy when seeing was not good, spiral arms. Will search later for images to be sure if what I saw is correct.
I didn't try with my 102 because at that time I had packed it up after viewing Saturn. Will try for this one again but with the 102 to see if the views are better. Had a good 2 hours behind the scope, one hour just on M13 alone. Also spent a few minutes viewing M51 with the dob but it was at zenith. Resolving the stars in the cluster was fun and with the dob you can't beat it.

#2 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:25 AM

Yep...that's my favorite type of object!! In dark skies they can be crazy good. M13 is probably the best in light polluted skies. Try M92 which should be pretty close to M13. It's a little tighter, but also a good one.

Very cool objects!

#3 mak17

mak17

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Good job on the find. Your 4 inch won't show you a better view but it is def worth a look. From dark skies there's a cool galaxy just north of m13. Also be sure to track down m92 which is also in hercules. M3 is one to check out as well. I know it's up at that time.

#4 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yep I knew there was another in that area but couldn't remember what area. I didn't have my charts out and didn't feel like destroying my dark vision to go get them. I will have to look up M92 and search for it, and M3 again.
Last night is where I started to think again that a 10 or 12" dob would come in handy.

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Later on in the year it will be almost straight up and less air to go through. On good seeing nights you can pop that 9mm in your scope and it will take up the whole FOV. Try using averted vision on this one to resolve more stars. Next up in the summer is another great one, M22!

Clear skies:)

bob

#6 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Gemini

• Loc: St. Louis area

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Yep...DSOs are where the big scopes can be handy for sure!

I find my 10 inch is as big as I would want to go as far as tube dobs. But if you are able to handle the 12 easier, it's worth a thought. Think about transport as well since they are really good in dark skies.

One reason I think it's OK you didn't get the 8 inch is going from a 6 to 10-12 is a much bigger jump. If you could only have one scope, the 8 inch is a good compromise. But I personally like having the 10 over the 8 myself. I've done some comparisons in dark skies and I find the 10 is a nice do it all scope.

If I were going 12+ I would go truss design or the Discovery split tubes.

#7 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:45 AM

Just looked up M13 in Turn Left and saw that NGC6205 is in the same area. Will have to look for it, or try to, next time.

if I can find a used 10-12" in my area I will try to grab it. I love the 6" but for my LP I think a bigger dob will show a bit more. I thought about an 8" and had seen one used for an ok price, but it won't be much of a jump up like you said. We'll see what happens this year.

#8 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

There's a whole parade of fine globular clusters coming up in the east in the next month or two. Be sure to put M22 on your summer list. Lots of folks consider it even more visually spectacular than M13.

#9 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

I have been looking at that too. Seems there will be a lot of globulars coming up soon...can't wait. I am going to order the RACI finder to make life easier in finding them.

#10 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

Be sure not to miss M5. This is a fine globular as well.

#11 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'll have to right a list ans a plan for viewing. I'll sort it by viewing time with the easy ones for when I don't have much time, and for the harder ones when I have a few hours.

#12 NewMoonTelescope

NewMoonTelescope

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

M13 was my first DSO, and the one that got me hooked. No matter how many years you observe, you never quit appreciating its magnificence. Great job, and thank you for posting. Brings back memories...of last night as I too was busy studying M13 :jump:

#13 David Castillo

David Castillo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

That glob got me hooked, and induced a terminal case of aperture fever, That is in a state of dormancy brought on by a lack of funds. I fear a tax refund may bring on a relapse. ( I tried the old home remedy of upgrading eyepieces, but it didn't stop this disease).
------
Dave

#14 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:09 AM

Rob
The nights of apr 30th and may 1 were very good.. I saw m13 first time too that night .. And many more globular clusters!! There's a whole new batch of stuff coming up.. Was out for about 4 hours .. Unfortunate the night of may 1 looked good as well but I was too tired other than a,peak at Saturn.

Seeing and transparency were well above average conditions 4/30-5/1.. And to get to view globulars over faint smudges in Virgo was a treat.. Shoot I should have tried for some of the previously seen galaxies.. I was too excited about the new objects and constellations ..I think my limit that night was roughly mag 4.6 / 4.9 visual, its usually much worse..

Anyhow.. M13 and the other clusters that night were great, and I was only using my 5", I bet you resolved a lot more stars in your DOB!

#15 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:19 AM

Matt I only spent 2 hours behind the scope but it was a great.

I didn't have my charts out so I basically was going by memory of where things should be. Like you I too was checking the constellations and trying to make out the stars. Was a wonder that I could make out hercules since the stars in that constellation were barely to be seen where I am.

#16 Classic8

Classic8

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Naperville, IL, USA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Ditto the previous comments about M5 and M22. Those are very nice ones.

#17 Kraus

Kraus

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia.

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

You do like I. I switch eyepieces and filters for the best view. Pay nothing to 'rules' "Oh an OIII won't work because blah blah blah".

And I too spend about an hour on an object. One misses much if they get into the 'marathon' mode.

Yes Messier 5 is a grand one as well. Last year as I looked at M-5, an open cluster hovered behind it. Quite eerie it was.

#18 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

I didn't have my charts out so I basically was going by memory of where things should be. Like you I too was checking the constellations and trying to make out the stars. Was a wonder that I could make out hercules since the stars in that constellation were barely to be seen where I am.

were you able to grab the free version of skysafari basic for your phone when it went on sale couple weeks ago??

#19 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

were you able to grab the free version of skysafari basic for your phone when it went on sale couple weeks ago??

I didn't catch that. I have some app that is ok. I usually just tour the night sky with no plan and just take it all in. Might say ok I'll look for M or NGC *** and if I can't find it I just hit the usual planet and scan the sky and look at doubles, open clusters but mainly just enjoying the time behind the scope. Basically learning the sky, my scope and thinking how small we really are compared to the galaxy and universe.

#20 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

Meditative . I get it. Spent an hour on Saturn wondering which were moons.. Think I saw 4. Tonight looks good!! I'm making coffee :) I might drag out the eq mount and try a pic or two since I can actually see Polaris for a decent align (I was waaaay off last year.. Used the phone compass.. Terrible.. !!). I think you said you have a thing Fridays but maybe when you get back sneak a peak.. Conditions are reporting average to above average for here.. Your seeing forecast doesn't look the best though..

http://cleardarksky....tObMAkey.html?1

#21 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Matt, yep got to cook tonight, like every Friday night. Will be way too tired and sore back when I get home at 1am so no scope time for me tonight.

#22 Haas

Haas

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Wis., USA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

And I too spend about an hour on an object. One misses much if they get into the 'marathon' mode.

I have to learn to remember that tip. :bow:
As a beginner, I want to see everything, and try to fit too much into my short time period of viewing.

#23 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:57 AM

Haas I think you get more out of just taking in what is in the sky and not trying to view as much as possible. Depending on the amount of time I have I usually plan for one object only. I then like to go back and find other(s) that I have viewed the time before. This for makes it easier to find objects again without the use of a chart or similar. The last couple times out with the scope I went back to view Saturn and M51. Saturn is easy but always a joy to view, but M51 for me is dim but now I find it easier and faster each time. next time out I will view M13 and then try for one other Cluster. Then after some time viewing those I will just slowly scan the sky looking at doubles or anything else. I also on occasion take my binos out and just spend 30 min viewing the constellations and seeing if I spot faint fuzzies. I actually plan for my next session to take the lawn chair with me and spend even more time with the binos, especially in the up coming months when the Galactic plane is higher, millions of stars can be seen and it wow's me every time.

#24 kraberus

kraberus

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

I saw M13 this weekend for the first time as well, both thru a large aperture Dob (not mine, was at the local astro society star party) and my 15x70 binocs. Very different views, beautiful in their own way.

Hopefully I can see it tonight thru my new ST80...arrives today!

#25 Brett Carlson

Brett Carlson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Globular clusters are a favorite of mine. I think it's because they look just as impressive through an eyepiece as they do in photographs!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics