17 replies to this topic

#1 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW NH

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi, Folks.

I ordered a Scopebuggy with a power supply tray a few days ago. It never occurred to me that the tripod spreader bar would likely not clear my battery. Anyone have any info here? I haven't found any pix that show how the tray is fastened, so I have no idea if it can simply be mounted parallel and more centered to the axle in order for the battery to clear. I do not want to have to raise my tripod to alleviate the issue.

What say you guys?

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

Mike,

It's just a couple of small bolts through the bottom of the tray onto the cross member. You can if you drill different holes put it in any different spot. It normally sits down by the T intersection and with my CGE it didn't interfere with my lower spreader ... but I only put a couple of AC power supplies (bricks) on mine. This is all from memory ... I haven't used my Scopebuggy since I put the mount on a permanent pier.

#3 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, Mark. Sounds easy enough. Hopefully I won't have to move it so far back as to upset the COG of the whole setup. Very much looking forward to receiving the Scopebuggy and using my CPC on a regular basis again.

#4 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:15 PM

When I used my two Scope buddies to transport my CPC800 on it's tripod and my CG5CT/refractor combo I made sure to heavy duty zip tie the legs of the tripods to the Scope buddy. There are "cups" to hold the legs but a tip or big bounce could allow them to lift free. I also ran a heavy duty bungee from the central tripod spreaders to the Scope buddy, I have an uneven driveway and was a bit paranoid, figured better safe than sorry. I never moved them without watching the mounts closely and having a hand ready just in case. Far too much invested to pull em along like a little red wagon. That said they worked well til I built the Obs. Sold one, kept one just in case.

#5 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

When I used my two Scope buddies to transport my CPC800 on it's tripod and my CG5CT/refractor combo I made sure to heavy duty zip tie the legs of the tripods to the Scope buddy. There are "cups" to hold the legs but a tip or big bounce could allow them to lift free. I also ran a heavy duty bungee from the central tripod spreaders to the Scope buddy, I have an uneven driveway and was a bit paranoid, figured better safe than sorry. I never moved them without watching the mounts closely and having a hand ready just in case. Far too much invested to pull em along like a little red wagon. That said they worked well til I built the Obs. Sold one, kept one just in case.

Thanks for the tip. There's no doubt I'll be thoroughly securing my scope to the buggy. I'm still at least 2 weeks out from receiving it. Grumble.., lol.

#6 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:33 AM

I used at least two zip ties per tripod leg, so that if one happened to break, I would still have the other one holding it down. You can't be too safe regarding this.

#7 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

I couldn't agree more. Not yet having the buggy in my possession, I can't really visualize the specifics. I'm sure to use zip ties but metal hose clamps also come to mind. Perhaps a few spot welds? J/K.

#8 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hose clamps are too wide and will scratch things, zip ties!

#9 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

Good point. I'm sure I would've figured that out before actually doing it. Multiple zip ties ;)

#10 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Well, 40 days later and my Scopebuggy has arrived...along with something unwelcome. No, not a scorpion hiding in the box. Within literally 1 minute of the UPS guy leaving, the curse arrived. Looks like it won't be til Saturday til things clear up.

Quick and slightly premature review....and keep in mind, I haven't rolled it an inch with the scope in place.

Assembly was a piece of cake. As expected, I needed to slightly relocate the battery tray. It's now parallel with the rear axle and back just far enough for the battery box to clear the lower spreader bars. Had to drill a couple new holes and install bolts to secure the tray, which also serve to lock the rear axles in place. It's extremely unlikely they would've slid out without the bolts in place but it was a 2 for 1 deal. I bungeed the tripod legs and will be zip-tying them shortly.

As reported in other reviews, the stabilizing bolts are a bit loose. Adding nuts on the topside is said to remedy this but it's actually quite stable as it is. I'm going to add some grease to the threads to smooth the action a bit. Also, I'll be adding a combination of glow and reflective tape on the topside of the rails. I've tripped over it several times already, in a brightly lit garage. Gonna take some getting used to. The handle assembly comes with a hitch pin for quick removal when everything is setup.

The rain was fairly light at the time so I took it, without scope, for a very short spin around the driveway and to my 2 observing sites. Very smooth and no issues whatsoever with clearance at the lowest setting. This includes the concrete threshold into my garage. Will this change with 100+ lbs of equipment on it?...Doubt it but I'll find out Saturday.. hopefully.

Around the 4 week point, I emailed Larry with a couple questions and he responded within 24 hours, so no issues there.

There's really not much to it. Simple and effective. While the 6 week wait kinda sucked, I'd do it again. And ya, the gold anodized wheels look cool ;)

#11 Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:07 PM

man, I feel ya. I've had exactly one night of semi decent viewing where I got to try out my CPC1100 since I bought it early May.

#12 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators

Posted 10 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Keep one hand on the scope going over bumps, remember it's not a little red wagon! The leg with the weight of the wedge/scope goes in front, don't let the back end get too heavy, if it starts to tip you'll never get back there in time to stop it. I put little 9v powered red LED's on the three corners of mine. You will trip over it a few times til you get used to it, the LED's help!

#13 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:23 AM

@ Mike. That stinks. The bigger the scope, the longer the curse huh? I've had at least 15 excellent nights gone to waste during my wait.

@1965Healy, will do with the non-Radio Flyer pulling method. Can't wait til my daughter sees the scope on there. I guarantee she tries to ride her new "tricycle" ;) I may have to snap a quick pic before shuffling her off. The scope seems to be plenty stable, balance wise, on both the wheels and stabilizing screws.

Little red LED's would be nice. Any sources on them? White, or even glow in the dark tires, would be a pretty slick idea. I've seen them on kids bikes before. Might look a bit funky but form follows function, right?

#14 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Good source for red flashing LED's is a bicycle shop, they make em to put on bike seat posts or to attach to the riders arm/leg.

#15 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Ahh, brilliant. Never even thought of that. Thanks, 1965Healy.

#16 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

http://shop.astrogiz...sc?productId=11

CN thread on other options

#17 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

Mark, even better! Thanks. You folks are great.
Ordered 3 :cool:

#18 Monadnock

Monadnock

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Well, last night was quite clear so I ROLLED my scope out. No clearance issues :) Setup time went from 15 min, to 1 min. No carrying the fairly heavy OTA down stairs and caitiously through multiple doorways. No wrestling with my irritatingly stiff screen door springs while allowing skeeters a free pass inside. I love this thing!

I just used the front leveling bolt as a parking brake and it was good to go. With most of the weight still on the tires, there was a small amount of wobble when making focusing adjustments but it was not a hindrance in any way.

Prior to my viewing session I made another quick mod to the SB. The steering head assembly tolerances were quite sloppy. I used a thin walled brass tube and slid it over the rod and that, in addition to a small piece of brass shim stock, eliminated all the play in that area. I'll post a pic later.

My next mods will be to address the pull rod assembly sloppiness. As is, it's quite functional, but I DO NOT like the thin hitch pin or the tiny bolts that hold the assembly onto the steering yoke. If those fail in any way while on a slope, a "puckering" moment is sure to follow. I'll post pix of that as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics