Catalina State Park Anniversary, 05/04/2013

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

This Saturday, May 4th, the Tucson Amateur Astronomy Association will have a booth set up at the Catalina State Park for their 30th anniversary celebration event. Lots of other organizations will be there, too.

We’ll have hands-on projects for kids and adults. Our Solar System is the theme of the exhibit. We also have a few solar telescopes during the day from 9am to about 4pm, and then again when we move over to our regular night public star party which starts at 7pm and goes to 10pm.

There will be food booths and raffle drawings, talks about birds, archaeology, art, etc. Consider attending what should be an interesting event.

Below is a link to the official web site with more information than I can attach:

Catalina State Park, Tucson, AZ, May 4, 2013: 30th Anniversary Celebration

#2 James Ling

James Ling

Messenger

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:25 AM

Hi Jim....

When I see you and 12 to 15 of your astro friends helping Catalina State Park celebrate its 30th anniversary.....
And not forgetting you also involving in coming June Grand Canyon Star Party.... and all these are big events...., which many people like me really admire the time and dedication from people like you and your friends in bringing astronomy to all people...

Unlike I am only doing very small side walk activities....whenever I have spare time....
But nevertheless, all of us shared the same goal.....
, as we all love astronomy.....and like to introduce to people....

Really like to hear the update on this special anniversary celebration event, and I am sure it will be a good and memorable one..... :jump:

Regards

James Ling

#3 PhillipButler

PhillipButler

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

I guess it is one of the overwhelming moment for Catalina State Park's team..I would like to congratulate that they complete their auspicious 30 years in astronomy field.

equestrian horseback riding

#4 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi Jim....

When I see you and 12 to 15 of your astro friends helping Catalina State Park celebrate its 30th anniversary.....
And not forgetting you also involving in coming June Grand Canyon Star Party.... and all these are big events...., which many people like me really admire the time and dedication from people like you and your friends in bringing astronomy to all people...

Unlike I am only doing very small side walk activities....whenever I have spare time....
But nevertheless, all of us shared the same goal.....
, as we all love astronomy.....and like to introduce to people....

Really like to hear the update on this special anniversary celebration event, and I am sure it will be a good and memorable one..... :jump:

Regards

James Ling

Thank you very much, James. We have a club of almost 400 astronomers, and about 50 do regular outreach. I do about five or six each month, sometimes solar, sometimes with the 18" when there will be mostly adults, and most times with the 10" SCT at schools. Most of the time, there will be three or four of us, and maybe 50 or 60 students and parents. But then we will have big events, like the Grand Canyon Star Party with over 1000 people each night, and even two weeks ago when we supported comet hunter David Levy, who lives here and was our club president for several years, with his fund raising for public outreach. We were set up all day and well into the night, with about forty astronomers and at least 1000 people, with a booth and hands-on demonstrations of eclipses, how meteorites happen, and a black hole demonstration. Most of it, though, is small groups and a few of us.

Today for the first time, during the solar part of the day, I'll be trying to use a Mallincam Junior for more people to see at one time. Several of our club will have a booth set up with Solar System hands on demonstrations, and my wife who helps do the teaching demonstrations just finished a large poster with pictures and descriptions of solar phenomena.

There will always be a spot for you here if you make it here, and I often provide either my 10" SCT or my 90mm refractor to travelling astronomers while they are here, who want to volunteer at the Grand Canyon but can't bring their own equipment. So you wouldn't need to worry about a telescope if you find it too difficult to haul one around the world.

It is really enjoyable seeing the knowledge come into people's minds. I am 66 years old, and I have seen all of the faint fuzzy things I need to see; it is more fun for me now to see the "old" things through new eyes, one person at a time, as you do. I am so impressed by what you and Gary do in your corner of the world. And that's all any of us can do - make our little corner a bit better. You never know what one life you'll change.

The Other James

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics