• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Anybody using these in your BVs?

Also, are the XWs parfocal with the XLs (ie the fieldstop in the same position relative to ep shoulder)?

:question:

#2 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

I just first-lighted a pair of XW 20's in the Denk IIs on the Nexstar 8SE last week. The only targets were the Moon, Saturn, M3 and M5. Seeing was horrible though. The XW 20's though worked great! At max IPD setting I can see the full field stop all the way around. Merging images was pretty snappy I would say.

#3 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

Thanks...what is your IPD? I'm 67mm and am concerned that I'll have a problem.

#4 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Thanks...what is your IPD? I'm 67mm and am concerned that I'll have a problem.

I think you'll be alright. Mine has been measured 70mm -74mm, though it is closer to 74. In my unlearned opinion (as there is much to BV'ing that I need to learn) for binoviewing, one can do with a little less than optimal IPD for a slightly vignetted field that is not distracting at all.

Nose clearance is an issue from some. The bridge of my nose is about average.

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Just tried a set in my Binotrons and can't get my nose in between them. Never really thought my nose was that big either. I even took the outer plastic off and still no go. I can look thru them if I look at a bit of an angle and the view is good but that's not a long term solution. Too bad too, now I've gotta go looking for another set of 20mm EP's

#6 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:33 PM

Just tried a set in my Binotrons and can't get my nose in between them. Never really thought my nose was that big either. I even took the outer plastic off and still no go. I can look thru them if I look at a bit of an angle and the view is good but that's not a long term solution. Too bad too, now I've gotta go looking for another set of 20mm EP's

I had the same problem with the 20mm XW's and 22mm LVW's. Luckily I had acquired three sets to compare and ended up keeping the 24mm Pans which were very easy to merge (at least for me).

Mike

#7 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Well, I guess I'm "stuck" with my 19 and 24 Pans...I was hoping for a bit more eye relief with the XWs.

:p

#8 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

Just the opposite for me--I've always been told I have a fat nose :) I guess I lucked out a bit in that the bridge of my nose is not so wide and does not protrude too much.

#9 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Well, I guess I'm "stuck" with my 19 and 24 Pans...I was hoping for a bit more eye relief with the XWs.

:p

Yeh the 19mm Pans are awesome bino eyepieces but they don't have the eye relief of the XWs. But they are probably 1/3 the size. ;)

Aha - there is a set of used 21mm Denks on the other site for a reasonable price. That would be a great alternative - 65 degrees, 20mm eye relief, and very light weight.

#10 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:11 PM

I use a pair of XW20s in my EarthWin Bino all the time. It is my main set. With the power switch, which has a focal reducer and a barlow lens built in, I sometimes go the whole session with just this combination. My schnoz clearance is a bit tight, though.

Arizona Ken

#11 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

I use a pair of XW20s in my EarthWin Bino all the time. It is my main set. With the power switch, which has a focal reducer and a barlow lens built in, I sometimes go the whole session with just this combination. My schnoz clearance is a bit tight, though.

Arizona Ken

Ken, I considered this as well. I am sure if I had a Power x Switch, I would not need any other eyepieces for the BV'er. The Denk IIs with the N8SE is a 2550mm system due to the added focal length, so I am at 128x natively. 2 questions:

1 - What is the high-power multiplier for the Power x Switch?

2 - What is the low power multiplier and if used with XWs in a BV'er with 26mm CA, will vignetting be seen?

#12 Arizona-Ken

Arizona-Ken

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, Arizona

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ken, I considered this as well. I am sure if I had a Power x Switch, I would not need any other eyepieces for the BV'er. The Denk IIs with the N8SE is a 2550mm system due to the added focal length, so I am at 128x natively. 2 questions:

2 - What is the low power multiplier and if used with XWs in a BV'er with 26mm CA, will vignetting be seen?

Okay.

Published information by EarthWin is that the "native power mode" is your regular power times 1.2; the "reducer power mode" is regular power times 0.58; the "barlow power mode" is regular power times 2.0 - so, for a 2000 mm C8 with XW20s, you would get 58X, 120X, 200X. Actually, not a bad spread. On my C11 I get 81X, 168X, and 280X which is really useful. You could basically duplicate my C11 mags on a C8 with a pair of XW14s.

The EarthWins are advertised as having a 26 mm clear aperture and XW20s do not vignette on my C11. My pair of Pan 24s do, however.

Arizona Ken

#13 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Okay.

Published information by EarthWin is that the "native power mode" is your regular power times 1.2; the "reducer power mode" is regular power times 0.58; the "barlow power mode" is regular power times 2.0 - so, for a 2000 mm C8 with XW20s, you would get 58X, 120X, 200X. Actually, not a bad spread. On my C11 I get 81X, 168X, and 280X which is really useful. You could basically duplicate my C11 mags on a C8 with a pair of XW14s.

The EarthWins are advertised as having a 26 mm clear aperture and XW20s do not vignette on my C11. My pair of Pan 24s do, however.

Arizona Ken

Great information, thanks Ken!

#14 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

I have been using the Leica ASPH Zooms in my Mark V and they work well but after a period they do become somewhat uncomfortable on my nose. So last night I tried my Pentax 10mm XW in the Mark V and they were much more comfortable for me. My IPD is 65mm. Now I think I want to try the 14mm and 20mm Pentax XW in my Mark V. I have the 24mm Pans and really like them as well. This sure is getting expensive. But the views....

#15 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:03 PM

Oh Yea. I wonder about the 12mm and 17.3mm Delos to fill the gaps. It doesn't end, does it?

#16 NickG

NickG

Viking 1

• ****-

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Bill, I use a pair of 20 and 14 XW's in my binos with no problems.
My IPD is about 65mm so you shouldn't have any problems.
The only thing is how your nose sits close to them. My shnozz isn't that small and I have no problems. You can unscrew the top section off the XW's to get more clearance, but I haven't needed to do this,
Nick

PS. I think from memory the minimum IPD on a pair of XW's is around 62 or 63 mm, but I have to confirm this when I get back home.

#17 Douglas729

Douglas729

Vostok 1

• Loc: Clarksville Mo.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

New Bino terminology - Nose Relief

#18 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Bill, I use a pair of 20 and 14 XW's in my binos with no problems.
My IPD is about 65mm so you shouldn't have any problems.
The only thing is how your nose sits close to them. My shnozz isn't that small and I have no problems. You can unscrew the top section off the XW's to get more clearance, but I haven't needed to do this,
Nick

PS. I think from memory the minimum IPD on a pair of XW's is around 62 or 63 mm, but I have to confirm this when I get back home.

I should have read this carefully and took that advice months ago! Instead, I had to wait for my own 'eureka' moment to do the same. After some indoor testing (virtually all testing has been indoors during this tough winter), I noticed that removing the eyeguard can lead to too much eye relief and glasses contacting the upper housing of the eyepiece. I then had my second 'eureka!' moment--use my DioptRx lenses on these babies! Nice! End result is nose relief increased, excessive eye relief curtailed and bare-eyed binoviewing with astigmatism fully corrected!

:jump:

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics