5 replies to this topic

#1 Paul G. Abel

Paul G. Abel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Greetings all.

Please find attached two Saturn drawings made on 2013 May 02-03. Seeing was largely poor although there were some steadier moments. The use of a W#25A filter really helped to stabilise the image so I shall probably be using this filter a lot more as the Saturn continues to drop in altitude. managed to take some intensity estimates and do some filter work.

(1). Drawing 1 0037UT, x167, S:AIV (IL): A number of interesting things on the disk:
-EB present and seems to be a light brown in colour, EZ quite bright.
-NEB broad, two distinct components seen separated by a broad NEBz. It seems as though there may have been a number of darker sections in both components and faint delicate strctures crossing the NEBz although it is hard to be certain.
-NTropZ brighter than NTZ, some mottlings present in the NTropZ?
-A Ring greyish
-B1-Ring bright and white in colour
-No sign of the B2-Ring and yet it seemed as if the dark B3 Ring was present unless this was a contrast effect between the bright B1-Ring and the C-Ring.
-C-Ring quite noticeable near ansae edges- slight greenish yellow colour present?

(2). Drawing 2: 0045UT,x167, S:AIII-IV, W#25A Filter: The interesting thing about this filter is how much darker they A-Ring looks, and is of a noticeable brownish hue.
Best wishes,
-Paul

I should add that the details in the NEBz and NTropZ have been emphasized somewhat.

Posted Image

#2 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Paul,
Interesting work. Great sketches. I just started working with filters and I am starting to see some of the benefits. I still need to train my eyes to see more detail. Thanks for sharing your work.

Ken

#3 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:57 PM

Paul,

Nice sketch of Saturn :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#4 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

NICE! Good job! :waytogo:

#5 PeterDob

PeterDob

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Castelnovo ne' Monti, Italy

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Lovely drawings and very interesting as well. I've never been a great fan of colour filters but still I must admit that they sometimes reveal certain things which you might otherwise miss. Thank you very much for this nice work and for sharing it with us.

Peter

#6 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

hi Paul,
You show us again a very good work :D!

Bye
Christian

Cloudy Nights LLC