• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jhfenimore

jhfenimore

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate New York

Posted 04 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Has anyone with a Discmount tripod either made or purchased a wheel assembly for their tripod that has worked well? I'm very happy with my new DM 4 mount and tripod, but I'd love to be able to roll it out of the garage. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Jack

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

I'll hop on your bandwagon if you don't mind 'cause I've been thinking of doing the same with my Planet.
My concern is in particular what will wheels do to the phenomenal stability I so enjoy when viewing.

#3 jhfenimore

jhfenimore

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

Mark

Just went to the Discmount web site, then to their user group page, typed WHEELS in the search block, and found a post with a detailed explanation of the project, and many pictures from someone who had built a simple system he seems to like.

Jack

#4 jhfenimore

jhfenimore

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

Mark

Just built a dolly for the mount similar to the one that was described on the Discmount site. Used the same 3 inch wheels. Some stability is sacrificed, but not nearly as much as I anticipated. The mount is still far more stable than the Gibraltar (without wheels) it replaced. And the 3 inch wheels can be used on a lawn, if you're not in a hurry.

Jack

#5 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Contact this guy : http://www.scoperoll...m/casters.shtml

#6 jhfenimore

jhfenimore

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

I purchased Scoperoller wheels a few years ago for my GM8, and was very satisfied. Didn't know they also made wheels for Discmount tripods.

Jack

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics