New Denk II BV - Prisims different?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

I saw another post from someone who had taken pictures through the back of the BV with no eyepieces in them. He was trying to determine if they where aligned properly and if there was any difference in sharpness between them. Mostly to me the images he shot looked like they where the same in brightness and sharpness.

So, having just bought a pair I decided to check mine to see if there was any difference between the to prisms. Looking at the image with just my right eye, I noticed there was a difference with them. One side was just a little brighter and more detail or contrast than the other.

Now here is where my concern is. My left eye sees just a little better than the right. When viewing faint fuzzies, my left eye sees a little deeper and has blacker background than my dominant right eye. For most viewing the right eye is fine, but when I really need to see fainter objects I switch to the left. I figured using a good BV with my good and great eye would be a good solution.

Now with the DenkII the side that apperas to be a tad brigheter is my left eye, which would be better if it was the right side. So what do you think, could these prisms be slightly defective, if so I still can return them.

I haven't really had a good chance to use them yet as the curse is upon me with cloudy skies since I bought them:(
Help!
Bob

#2 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Do not worry, human eyes are not perfectly same, in some people difference is less pronounced, in some more!
If you want test with your eyes bino transmittion and sharpness, bino must be well colimated, and you can do that only if you do quick change with ONE eye on left-right-left-right....sides, and then you can conclude if there is difference.
Denk II are great binos, but you will notice some small difference between left and right sides, in which you do not must worry, you have a GREAT bino, but not in same league with Zeiss or Binotron units!
To repeat:
you have a GREAT bino, do not worry about that, your brain will fix that, and enjoy using it!

#3 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

Thanks for those words of encouragement Denis:)

Bob

#4 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Mariner 2

• ***--
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for those words of encouragement Denis:)

Bob

:smirk:

#5 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Try them upside down and see if your eyes notice a difference.

#6 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

As far as I've seen thus far, and based on the reports of others, it's common for BVs to exhibit some difference in transmission between the two sides. But unless this is *really* pronounced (and I (optimistically) doubt such a mismatched specimen would be foist upon the public), in actual use a difference might be sensed, but you will very quickly accommodate it. I'm sure a difference as large as even 30%--which is not likely to be found in astro BVs--would seem to disappear after a few minutes' use.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics