• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Yesterday for the first time I took photos with the autoguiding....It's a big step foward for me and i'm very happy !
But I wonder where are the star colours ??? Even the galaxy I had to push on the blue and red a bit...
I have a Baaderized Canon 1100D with a clip-in cls filter .
11x5min + 5x2min ,17 darks ,17flats ,17bias all at 800 ISO
Please feel free to comment ,it would help me a lot ! Those colour seems hard to get !
Thank you
Maxx

http://i1355.photobu...raphy/3mai20...

http://i1355.photobu...raphy/3mai20...

#2 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Congrats! I just joined the auto guiding club myself.
I'm not sure, but I think some folks add shorter exposures to bring back the star color.

#3 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

Congrats! I just joined the auto guiding club myself.
I'm not sure, but I think some folks add shorter exposures to bring back the star color.

Thanks man ! I did add 5x2min shots but not enough I guess !

#4 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

Hope you don't mind but I adjusted the color. It is mostly there. However, the Red is clipped. And the blue is too to a much lessar extent. That may be an artifact of your processing or of the original exposures.

I would have though 2 minute shots would have been long enough to get it away from the left edge of the histogram but maybe not. It depends on how bad your light pollution is or isn't.

Attached Files

#5 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

Hope you don't mind but I adjusted the color. It is mostly there. However, the Red is clipped. And the blue is too to a much lessar extent. That may be an artifact of your processing or of the original exposures.

I would have though 2 minute shots would have been long enough to get it away from the left edge of the histogram but maybe not. It depends on how bad your light pollution is or isn't.

I don't mind at all...What is the red clipping means ??? And is there a way to provide you with the raw photo that was just out of DSS ,before I processed it ????
Thanks !
Maxx

#6 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

[quote name="Madratter"]Hope you don't mind but I adjusted the color. It is mostly there. However, the Red is clipped. And the blue is too to a much lessar extent. That may be an artifact of your processing or of the original exposures.

Here is the TIFF file just out of DSS before processing !
If you feel like trying it out ,please do !

http://s1355.photobu...aphy/3mai201...

#7 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

When I say the Red was clipped, I mean that when you look at a histogram, the red data was not separated from the left side at all. In otherwords, a considerable amount of red values were right at 0. Normally, with a well exposed photo for astrophotography, each color channels histogram looks like a fairly steep bump. And those bumps are separated from the left. You can kind of see that happening here with the green channel.

The way a lot of guys make files available is by posting them on Dropbox . I can't give instructions for that because I haven't done it. I have retrieved stuff from there.

Attached Files

#8 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

I just took a look at the original from DSS. All channels were nicely separated from the left so the problem was in your post processing of the image. I'll post a version based on the original in a few minutes.

#9 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

Ok. Here is a quick reprocessing of it using PixInsight and Photoshop. I'm no guru at this, so others could undoubtedly do better.

Attached Files

#10 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Ok. Here is a quick reprocessing of it using PixInsight and Photoshop. I'm no guru at this, so others could undoubtedly do better.

Dude ,that's very nice ! Thank for the answer...very apreciated !
I think I will do the whole DSS again because I played with the histogram there and I think I can do better with other tools ! Thanks again !
Maxx

#11 Madratter

Madratter

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Glad to help! With astrophotography there are two different sets of skills that both need to be developed to get great results: working with your equipment, and the post-processing. And neither one of those skills is easy.

#12 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

That's beautiful. Great job :)

#13 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

Congrats on crossing the frontier into autoguiding land! Stars look good at this resolution :) next level of post processing curve is somewhat endless when you are no longer dealing with tracking issues in the subs.

#14 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:10 PM

That's beautiful. Great job :)

Thank you Chris !

#15 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

Congrats on crossing the frontier into autoguiding land! Stars look good at this resolution :) next level of post processing curve is somewhat endless when you are no longer dealing with tracking issues in the subs.

Thank you Jim ! Working with Gimp and its 8 bits is not that great ,but they suppose to turn to 16 bits soon...can't wait ! Still, processing is an art in itself and not an easy one either !
Maxx

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics