• -----

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:43 AM

What are your thoughts?

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:17 AM

Vx has thicker tripod legs and is slightly heavier. Should make it more stable. Sirius has the excellent motor and gears that the Atlas is known for. Should make it more precise, but I can't speak for the Vx in this regard. So it really depends on what size scope you are putting on it. The precision is nice if the Sirius can handle your scope.

#3 JonM

JonM

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

The Sirius can use EQMOD. That is a great advantage in my opinion

#4 mark379

mark379

Messenger

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

The Sirius is beefier than the Vx.
If you can get a cg5 2" tripod to go with it, you will have a move combination.

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

The Sirius can use EQMOD. That is a great advantage in my opinion

Jon, What is the advantage of EQMOD and don't you need to have a computer to run it with the mount?

Stan

#6 okra

okra

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

Can only speak for the sirius, having imaged with it for 4 years. First its noisy dont let that scare you. I use two optical trains with a total weight (ED80)17 pounds 4 oz and an AT8RC at 24 lb 10 oz.Both are handled well on a concrete pedestle. the heavier train works only so so on the tripod. A small amount of binding occurs in the EQ axis using the 8RC. but only in certain positions and seldom causes lost image. Mine is left in the weather ( covered -temp extremes of 15-110f) requiring it to be regreased and adjuster yearly DIY

#7 tjugo

tjugo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

If money is not an issue get the sirius, it is a better mount and coupled with eqmod it will bring you many features you cannot get with the VX.

IMO the sirius is overpriced but is a better mount,

Cheers,

Jose

#8 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

If your Sirius is way noisy you might have an issue that needs attention. My Sirius is significantly quieter when slewing than any Celestron mount I have been around, and essentially silent when tracking. I hope you don't have any serious problems :(

Clear Skies,
Brian

#9 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

If money is not an issue get the sirius, it is a better mount and coupled with eqmod it will bring you many features you cannot get with the VX. Jose

Exactly what would you get with EQMOD that you can't get with the NexStar firmware, NexRemote, and NexTour software?

"Better" mount how?

Does it carry more weight?
Is it more accurate PE wise?
Is it more accurate Goto wise?
Is the polar alignment more accurate?
Is it easier to use?

#10 tjugo

tjugo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Hi,

Some answers to your questions:

>> Does it carry more weight?
I think both will carry the same wight.

>> Is it more accurate PE wise?
I don't know. If the VX is like a CG5 PE-wise then yes, the Sirius has a better PE.

>> Is it more accurate Goto wise?
Yes. With EQMOD you can build a N-point sky model

>> Is the polar alignment more accurate?
The ASPA routine is already available for the Sirius. The Sirius has an illuminated polar scope.

>> Is it easier to use?
The celestrons are easier to use.

Some stuff I like about EQMOD:

-- Custom horizons
-- Custom tracking rates
-- AutoPEC
-- Ability to monitor autoguide commands
-- Multiple park positions
-- Work with any GPS
-- Ability to set for how long you want to track past the meridian
-- Joystick compatibility
-- Access to EQMOD developers (they fix bugs very fast)
-- Multi point sky modeling

NexRemote will not offer any you any new feature, it offers the same functionality as the regular HC.

Cheers,

Jose

#11 JonM

JonM

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

I have used the Atlas hand controller (same as the Sirius) and EQMOD. Yes, you need a computer at the telescope with EQMOD but, as an imager, I always have one there anyway. EQMOD is faster to get set up, and you can use any star in your star program (I use Stellarium) to get aligned on. You can also save your alignment data for the next session if you don't move the telescope and have a permanent set up. EQMOD also provides for pulse guiding eliminating the need for an ST-4 connection to your guide camera. It also has a polar align routine that is the bees knees. You can also record and save PEC data, adjust the tracking rate, adjust the guiding parameters and a lot of other functions that are just easier to use than trying to figure out the handsets menus. Aligning is much easier for me using EQMOD.

#12 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Skylab

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:49 PM

Thanks Jon. It sounds very similar to the Celestron program. Just the familiarity seems to be the difference. I know some prefer one over the other and I really never knew why. Kind of a Ford/Chevy thing. I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks again for the explanation,

Stan

#13 ourobouros2k2

ourobouros2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: okc area, oklahoma

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Having used Nexremote and EQMOD with CdC, I can say EQMOD wins hands down. EQMOD looks complex, but it is very intuitive, highly customizable, and rock solid when used in conjunction with Carted du ciel. You can even record custom wav files for various scope functions and use a wireless gamepad for slewing control. I use a wireless keypad with EQMOD, a combo I could never get working with Nexremote.

So in the above choice, Sirius mount (which I have) would be my preference.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics