First light on the Celestron 9x63 Bino

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AjithSeattle

AjithSeattle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

We are having a great weekend out in Seattle, 70-80s during the day and clear skies at night. It was a perfect weekend to try out the Celestron 9x63 that arrived on Friday.

I took it out to a nearby park, out into the middle of a dark soccer field and to test it out. Before I did that, I did try it out at home, adjusting the diopter on the right side and getting the focus right. One of the first things I noticed about the bino was it came well packed, nice rubber texture to the touch and protective covers for the EP and lens covers. The OEM bag it came in was decent although I don't think it is secure enough in there.

The second thing I noticed - it is heavy! I couldn't hold it out for very long and keep it steady. The magnification and weight were more than I had imagined, so I went prepared for my first light tryout with the bino which was also my first stargazing venture. My daughter insisted she wanted to come too and kept herself awake and excited to watch the nebulae and black holes :grin: I told her that this is a small bino, the best we can see is potentially the moon's crater close up and a nice blinking lights on the aircraft as they line up for the SeaTac runway.

Since I tried it out at home, I was prepared to deal with the height, took my lean-back camping chairs with me so that I could rest my head and try to hold this steady enough to spot something interesting. The moon was not out yet, we looked at the stars on the Big Dipper and also caught one of the satellites flying by which was awesome. The satellite, according to spaceweather.com/flybys, is:
Idefix and Ariane 42B 09:56:54 pm S 10:02:04pm 62° 2.3 (visible)

It lines up well with the timing. Anyway, it was a great start to a family activity and I also enjoyed the bino. I'm a little concerned about the weight and still getting used to the constellations, so haven't been able to answer all the star questions for the inquisitive little one. :)

Pros
+ Well built
+ Good beginner bino

Cons
- Still heavy for me
- Hard to hold steady due to the weight, getting a mount/tripod is probably a good idea.

Ajith

#2 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:20 AM

That's a really nice report, Ajith. You'll get used to holding them with some more practice; it's a skill that takes some training.

If you have access to some nice dark skies then in the summer sky there are several nice patches of dark nebulosity that might do for your daughter as a surrogate to black holes. Plenty of bright nebulosity is coming up too, low in Sagittarius.

The herald of the summer sky is M13 in Hercules, you'll see that easily.

#3 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

Enjoyed your impressions and first experience with the 9x63s.

Are you holding the binocs near the eyepiece end or closer to the balance point farther out?

#4 AjithSeattle

AjithSeattle

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:19 AM

I'm holding it farther out not too close to the neck but just after the focus adjuster knob in the middle.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics