Royal Astro LN-4e 100mm f10 reflector

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 05 May 2013 - 04:33 AM

I have just come into possession of a Royal Astro Optical LN-4e reflector. I bought it off a Japanese man living in Australia who had just purchased a Meade. He was very sad to see it go as he was a Royal Astro fan

What is interesting about this story is that as we got talking about AStro Optical, he mentions that Goto Kogaku and Astro Optical were owned by the same entity. This may explain the similarity of many of the scopes. Does anhyone have any evidence of the same?

Anyway the LN-4e is an amazing scope - it needs some restoration but the optics are superb- does anyone else have one of these?

Steve

#2 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

Can you post images of the scope?

Rich (LTYS)

#3 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:41 AM

Post deleted by stevenk

#4 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hi Rich sorry about the quality

Attached Files

#5 hottr6

hottr6

Vanguard

• Loc: 7,500', Magdalena Mtns, NM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Aggggh! I'm in love! :flower:

Sweet 'scope. Parabolic or spherical?

#6 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Shane i don't know but images are superb!

#7 Larrythebrewer

Larrythebrewer

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cincinnati, Oh

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

yes I have one, mine is a Yashica YLN-4E

Attached Files

#8 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:43 AM

I also have one. It's an incredible scope. Here's a link to a thread about it.

http://goo.gl/cg1bf

#9 Steve_M_M

Steve_M_M

Vanguard

• Loc: Moorpark, CA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Great Looking scope! I have had a lot of personal contact witht he folks at Goto Optical and do not recall any mention of their association with Royal. They also gave Keith Gordon and I a very special 70th anniversary book about their history and I do not recall any mention of Royal in the book.

Attached Files

#10 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:19 AM

Hi Steve

Thanks for that. He merely mentioned they were owned by the same entity. Any chance you could find out more from your contacts?
Apparently the 60mm f20 that they both produced may be an example of their association, as well as other models ??

It would be interesting to find out
Steve

#11 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:34 AM

Charlie very Nice
I am missing some parts like the dec shaft cover ( the part in which dec weight rod screws into) on the mount and some collimating screws- Again impossible to match as they are the infamous m5 0.9mm pitch -

Can I ask how does the dec weight rod attach to rest of the mount?

Steve

#12 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

Larry very nice as well - a Yashica!!!

Steve

#13 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Steve

If I am understanding your question correctly, the counterweight rod screws directly into the dec assembly. That black cap first screws onto the counterweight shaft and then the whole CW assembly screws into the dec assembly. When the rod threads bottom out, then you can snug up the black cap up to the dec assembly. Does that make sense? If it doesn't, I can send some photos.

Also, I will check to see if I have any spare parts for you.

#14 Stargoat

Stargoat

Ranger 4

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:23 PM

Charlie very Nice
I am missing some parts like the dec shaft cover ( the part in which dec weight rod screws into) on the mount and some collimating screws- Again impossible to match as they are the infamous m5 0.9mm pitch -

Steve

Hello Steve, I just checked a Tasco 3TE which uses M5 x 0.8P Round Head Slotted Adjusting screws. I thought they must have been an odd pitch since the M5 x 0.8P screws from the hardware store will not thread in. Upon very close inspection, I discovered that the pitch is the same 0.8P. What the heck is the problem I wondered.

I looked the JIS standard for M5 screws and the Major Dia is 4.866mm (my screw measures 4.85mm OD) The ANSI std avg Major Dia is 4.90mm and my local hardware store is 4.89mm. Close but no cigar, the non JIS M5 screws will not thread in on my scope. Needless to say, that would be the only screw I'm missing....In fact all these Japaneese scopes must of used the ever so slightly smaller JIS standard screws.

Just curious if indeed your screws are really 0.9P and what is the OD of your M5 screws?

Stephen

#15 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:07 AM

Charlie Hi
Yes what you have described makes perfect sense.
If you have any of those parts I would be most appreciative and certainly interested.

I viewed Saturn through this scope last night and was amazed. The Casini division was clearly visible via the scopes opriginal 9mm eyepiece as was cloud banding on the disc. Images were crisp and I think this will become my grab and go. What a beautiful little scope !!

#16 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:14 AM

Stephen Hi
Yes I can safely advise that M5 0.9mm is the screw. I literally have purchased dies to make my own in the past. To determine I used a screw Pitch Gauge and sure enough I was right. M5 designates a 5mm diameter and the 0.9 is the distance between each of the screws 'lips'

My 4inch Polarex was missing a collimating screw and it also was an M5 0.9mm. All My Royal Astro Scopes use the same screw type for the ascension and dec lock handles interestingly. I have worn out my die but I have ordered another set and would be happy to make a screw for you and send it so that you can test.

This LN-4e is missing one collimating screw and 3 set screws and all are m5 0.9mm. I will try to take a photo of an original screw and match it against the gauge

I have tried to find commercially made screws of these dimensions and they are nowhere to be found- I even tried JIS but none worked

#17 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

I could find any collimation screws, but I do have a spare cw shaft part. It's not wrinkle finished, but you could strip it down and refinish it. Let me know if you want it.

Attached Files

#18 stevenk

stevenk

Mariner 2

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

Charlie Hi
Thank you so much I will PM you

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics