• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:53 AM

It’s nearly time for my monthly naked-eye New Moon spotting challenge, which is relatively easy for observers north of the tropics during the months surrounding the vernal equinox. North Americans may be able to sight the one-day-old Moon after sunset on May 10th. Brilliant Venus will serve as a guidepost.

My more detailed article describing the waxing crescent Moon’s first appearance of the coming lunar month appears under the links for my preview graphics at www.CurtRenz.com/moon

Photos and descriptions of the young Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include your location, date and time with zone.

Below is a link to a photo showing the “Old Moon in the New Moon’s Arms” above Mercury that I shot from Arlington Heights, Illinois on 2007 MAY 17 at 21:10 CDT while the Moon was aged 30:43 hours.

http://www.curtrenz.com/NM070517.JPG

#2 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Ranger 4

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

Only recently, and partly due to your posting on this subject, Curt, I have begun to find the young Moon.

Through the haze Friday I was able to detect it with 10x50s at 26h19m past new. Naked eye, at 26h37m. This, from Southern California, and a personal best. Venus certainly was helpful.

#3 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:19 PM

Only recently, and partly due to your posting on this subject, Curt, I have begun to find the young Moon.

Through the haze Friday I was able to detect it with 10x50s at 26h19m past new. Naked eye, at 26h37m. This, from Southern California, and a personal best. Venus certainly was helpful.

Congratulations, David! Did you get pictures?

#4 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Ranger 4

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:21 PM

No pictures, alas.

#5 NeilMac

NeilMac

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Been cloudy and high wind gusts lately :(

#6 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:20 PM

I saw the young Moon and Jupiter from the parking lot of a fast food restaurant in Oklahoma City on the return trip from the Texas Star Party last Saturday evening. I might have had a shot of seeing it on Friday, since there was a completely unexpected clearing event, but I was inside the Prude Ranch auditorium for the Friday night talk and raffle prize drawing until after 9:00 p.m. CDT.

Dave Mitsky

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics