GSO Skyview / Astrotech Voyager issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Druid

Druid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

I received a GSO Skyview alt-az mount, which seems to be the same thing as the Astro-Tech Voyager, a few weeks ago. Mine is the TS branded version.

Last night, one of the pivots attaching the spreader to the aluminium tripod came off. I wasn't doing anything especially violent to it at the time, just spreading the legs before putting my scope on it.

I tried reattaching but the threading in the holes through the thin aluminium legs was trashed, so the four small screws holding it on would no longer gain purchase.

I've since found at least four other people online saying they've had exactly that problem, here and elsewhere.

I'm currently debating whether to try to fix it, probably by getting a different tripod, against just giving up on it and getting a different mount.

APM suggest a Berlebach tripod as an upgrade on their site, but there's a good few mm of play in the head-tripod interface also, so I'm not sure that it's worth investing further in the mount unless that's fixable.

It appears to use an unusual fitting between tripod and head, so I'd be buying a Berlebach or whatever that wouldn't be transferable to a Synta (Skywatcher/Orion) mount unless there's some way of adapting between the two.

Has anyone else been down this road? I'd value informed advice. There's a lot to like about the head apart from that little bit of play where it attaches to the tripod. So if looked like I could replace the tripod with e.g. a Berlebach Uni with a reasonable prospect of sorting out the couple of mm of play, then I'd be quite tempted to go that route ...

#2 BSJ

BSJ

Apollo

• Loc: Grand Isle, VT

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:35 AM

My Voyager works vry well on an Oberwerk Tripod.
http://www.cloudynig...ber/5016694/...

#3 Druid

Druid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

Ah, useful picture :)

I'm waiting for the shops to open (May bank holiday here) to get a big enough allen key to take the head off and/or try to adjust the play it currently has, but it's handy to know what's inside :)

#4 Druid

Druid

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Aha, appears the play in the head isn't where it joins the tripod, it's between the upper disc that rotates for azimuth and the bit that the upper disc sits on.

Not obvious how to adjust that without taking it to bits and I really don't want to do that until I've had a chance to talk to the vendor.

#5 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Mine did not last long either, similar failure to yours.
It is now on the wooden led that Hands on Optics sells, A bit of jimmying to attach, but very satisfied.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics