• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 great_bear

great_bear

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Walthamstow, London, UK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Another example is the Lumnicon filters, some recently have came out with no markings on the filters.

They had an incident a while back with a whole bunch of mislabelled filters, so I'm not too surprised if they opted to avoid labelling altogether :-)

#27 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

• Loc: South West England

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:17 PM

I've been testing a set of the Astro Hutech orthos - 5, 6, 7, 9, 12.5 and 18mm. All have "Japan" printed on their bodies, underneath the Astro Hutech branding. The 5, 7, 9 and 12.5 Hutech's are identical to the Baader GO's in all respects including coating hue and, most importantly, performance. The 6mm and 18mm Hutech's have shorter bodies than the Baader equivalents and reach focus around 8mm further outwards. Otherwise their performance appears to match the Baader GO equivalents as well.

In the UK the Hutech's are priced around $20 more than the Baader GO's were.

#28 Schaden

Schaden

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoran Desert

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Hope the new UO orthos are from Japan, not that China can't make a quality ep, just look at Explore Scientific. But I want the same product everyone has raved about over the years, the one that gave the UO HD orthos a good reputation to begin with, not a "look a like", such as the Baader Classic Orthos compared to the NGOs.

#29 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Hope the new UO orthos are from Japan, not that China can't make a quality ep, just look at Explore Scientific. But I want the same product everyone has raved about over the years, the one that gave the UO HD orthos a good reputation to begin with, not a "look a like", such as the Baader Classic Orthos compared to the NGOs.

Jan at UO has specifically said that the coming HD orthos are completely Japanese made, from the lenses to the machining to the coatings.

#30 desertlens

desertlens

Viking 1

• Loc: 36°N 105°W

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

... and, most importantly, performance.

Thanks John, for the "on the ground" assessment. The Hutechs have a good pedigree and I'm pleased they seem to meet expectations. I imagine the much anticipated UOs will do the same.

#31 Ava

Ava

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

I would guess if people dont start buying them off the shelves the current stock might be the last. For all the hype no one seems to be buying from what I can see. Agena lists numbers in stock and they dont seem to be moving.......

I've got a full set of BGOs so I'm holding out for the promised 4mm and 25mm! Although the report on focus position being further out on the 18mm makes me think about replacing my 18mm pair, hmm..,

#32 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

I would guess if people dont start buying them off the shelves the current stock might be the last. For all the hype no one seems to be buying from what I can see. Agena lists numbers in stock and they dont seem to be moving.......

I just bought a pair of 9mm Hutechs from Agena. I will be comparing them with my 9mm BGO using the AP 175. When I am done I will post an observing report.

#33 saemark30

saemark30

Apollo

• -----

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Is there a due date for the new UO HDs?

#34 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

I'm very very very glad these are coming back. They have a solid place in amateur astronomy.

Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics