Saturn 5/5/13

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

I had so-so seeing for Saturn tonight - my first view this year with the new wider angle ring presentation quite evident. I used my 70mm achro TV Ranger with a variety of oculars and off and on a Baader Fringe Killer (not needed).

The view through good but small aperture in 6/10 seeing is a study in subtleties. Everything is quite subdued but rewarding when they have there moment in better seeing...

The globes light toned EQ band shown regularly with the EQ belt above it sometimes showing some with. Lesser seeing erased this belt altogether.

No polar darkening. Other apparitions yes, but nothing here tonight. It was clean all the way to where the hexagon would've been had I res to see it. Sometimes briefly there was a tickle of detail at the pole but it was too fleeting and spurious.

The crepe infront of the globe was like a pale dusky stain on the planet that only shown in the best moments.

Cassinis division was subtle but steady. Clearly broader than last year but soft in this seeing often blending into Ring A's slight darker value. Its extending lines never quite tesched the indide of the B rings ansae. Other times it stood out a little clearer but it never went beyond the deep ansae.

Titan wasn't showing.

Magnifications here were best when modest. Perhaps the best view was at 114x while 162x didn't bring anything new. 133x normally my goto Saturn optimum magnification was a little excessive given the seeing.

Baader Classic Ortho- I used the 10mm and I thought it was fine. I've heard good and bad about this ocular but it was pretty find compared to my TV Plossls and UO Abbes. It was crisp and Csssinis looked none the worse for wear at 120x compared to my other ocular configurations. At the edges its not as sharp but who observes planets at the edges even with the drift method? It did fine and while Im sure if I went a res test bender Id turn up a televue advantage - it just flat out does what its designed to. Very nice sharp images. And Cassinis was quite the contrast test.

It was fun rewarding 114x -120x kinda night on Saturn.

Pete

#2 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Hi Pete,

Nice observing report thanks for posting it.

Best,

Eric

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

It wasn't a bad little view. The mirrors are going back in my 8" reflector this weekend so Im really looking forward to the view through that. Had it recoated per Spectrum Coating via Paul Zacharias. Even sent out my Televue diagonal for a recoat!

Pete

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:19 PM

Pete, you should be coming into good seeing, eh, in the coming months? Hey, glad you're out observing, thanks for posting. Making me jealous, BTW...<insert explicitive here> :)

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Its cloudy this weekend - all weekend . And you know why... Its the new coatings!!!! I got Paul Zacharias MAX-R coating so its affecting meteorology like a new scope. I'm figuring my coatings that even PARKS stated were not the most reflective (but very durable) were below the 89% when new 19 years later, so Im expecting the 98% coatings will have an edge. I can't imagine the reflectivity value after nearly 20 years.

I miss deepsky and knowing my coatings were so ancient really put a damper on planning a night on galaxies. Now that they are new its empowering lol. HellIll try for Enceladus* and Mimas. Success is in knowing my setup is back in shape again - even if I don't see Mimas I know I at least have the best in performance for the scope to not feel hobbled about trying.

Oh the better seeing is well underway again!!!

Pete

* have seen Enceladus when the rings were near edge on (2days or so after crossing through the plane) but that's far easier than the wider ring presentation.

Man I wish I had your scope with you.

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Oh he'll its clear out I just looked . Yessss!!!!!

Pete

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

Man, good luck with Eceladus and Mimas...report please.

Ya, I was talked out of highly reflective coatings in exchange for some durability. No regrets...good viewing, my friend.

Man I wish I had your scope with you.

I wish I had your scope with me. :lol:

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

Lol.

It'll be a new experience in finding out how durable they are. They've been out about five years so its too early to tell but the 8" was $125 to recoat so it s cheap enough. Had it been say, an 18" mirror well then its a gamble to a degree.

Pete

#9 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Mimas? Enceladus?

#10 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Nah the scope still hasn't made it outside. I have to collimate it still and I would've gotten too late into the evening. I'm looking forward to this weekend hopefully.

Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics