Which remote do you like?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

• Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

I have a T4i, t-ring, and a Hotech 2" sca adapter on order and was looking at remotes and unsure of which to get or if BackyardEOS would be better. So figured I would ask what others use.

Also any other stuff you would recommend for starting out?

I currently have a 8SE with a modded dovetail, DDG focuser, bahtinov mask, laptop, skyfi and can't think of anything else relevant.

I plan on getting orions mini guider or ST80 guide package, VX mount, and maybe a AT65EDQ or similar this summer but wanted to start taking some lunar and planetary images and can't afford it all at once.

#2 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

BYEOS is the best way... I have a remote intervelometer and haven't used it once since starting to use BYEOS...

#3 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

I use this... and this...; I don't use BYEOS since I like going wheel-up (no computer to camera). Thx

#4 nwinston

nwinston

Ranger 4

• Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

Controlling your camera with a computer using a program like BYEOS or Canon utilities is easiest, but if you want a remote timer I would recommend a 3rd party timer such as this one on Amazon.

#5 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

Controlling your camera with a computer using a program like BYEOS or Canon utilities is easiest, but if you want a remote timer I would recommend a 3rd party timer such as this one on Amazon.

Ditto! :grin:

#6 carastro

carastro

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: England

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

I use a laptop, it's so much easier. You don't have to stand/crouch in awkward position. You can do your alignment on screen, focus on screen, zoom in, examine the images as they download, move them into appropriate folders. I use APT, some use BYEOS and when I first started I used the Canon utility software that comes with the camera.

Also if you want to sit in a warmer room to keeping an eye on your imaging you can also network your computer and watch/control your software from the warm indoors.

Carole

#7 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

I have two of these Chinese clones. They work nicely but for 2 "faults"

1) Dont leave the batteries in between sessions - they drain much much faster than the Cannon originals

2) Don't use the back-light - the resultant voltage dip when the batteries are moderately used may cause the timer parameters you set up to be reset to zero across the board

Otherwise these work and they are way cheaper than Cannon's

#8 terry59

terry59

Aurora

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

If you plan to use a laptop, take a look at Sequence Generator Pro. With it you can do the basics now and use more advanced features as your capabilities increase.

#9 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Central California Coast

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

I started out with a cable release and a kitchen timer. It got my exposures done, but very inconvenient. Then I got a Canon TC-80N3 (clones were not available back then) which made my life much simpler, much more so after I figured out how to hang it so the cable didn't interfere. When I went to ImagePlus for processing, I also purchased the Camera Control software which does it all (for me). Of course after becoming a huge fan, BYEOS came out but I've never tried it out. I hear great things about it, but can't say for myself.

#10 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

I use the Canon TC-80N3 adapted for a Canon 60d type plug with my Sky Tracker mount when I want to travel light. I also use it to shoot darks when I'm putting my gear away. It can sit in the camera bag at temp chugging away on it's own.

Otherwise, if I have the computer with me, I use EOS Utilities which I find easier to use than BYEOS for data acquisition. I like to use BYEOS for camera focusing.

Patrick

#11 Toxic Coolaid

Toxic Coolaid

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorthEast Tennessee

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

3rd party from ebay.

#12 Momerath

Momerath

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate SC,

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

One of the best wireless Intervolometers is this one made by Satechi WTR-C
It is not that expensive and works like a champ.
However BYEOS is very nice as well. If you are in the field without a computer i would recomend the remote.

#13 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

I found out today all T4i's have been "recalled" a week or so ago and stores cannot sell them yet till Canon gives the ok.

Good news is my local bestbuy has 3 in stock and the employee I talked to said he would hold what I wanted and call me when he can sell it to me because I was told over the phone they had them available, plus its cheaper than my pending order. Going to cancel my order in the morning and wait for the call. If I don't get a call by the end of the week I may get the VX mount and get used to it while I wait for the camera.

Also thanks for all the links, I think I'm going to go with BYEOS for now.

#14 palmer570

palmer570

Vostok 1

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:16 PM

So yesterday I went and bought a T3i instead of waiting for the T4i, no one I talked to knew when they would be able to sell them. But I did find out that the "recall" was because someone received a T4i with the allergic grips so Canon put a hold on all sales.

Today I decided to check on the T4i and they are back for sale. :lol:

#15 rflinn68

rflinn68

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:58 AM

"I think I'm going to go with BYEOS for now."

Good decision! You wont be sorry. I love BackYardEOS. I've thought about going to a CCD camera but I dont want to give up my BackYardEOS. Guylain is supposed to be getting BackYardNIK (for Nikons) and BackYardCCD ready for release soon. I might make the move when the CCD comes out. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics