My first Saturn - 4/30/13

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

I took some photos and videos last week and it took me since then to figure out how to process it. I originally planned to use registax to stack RAWs because I had taken about 20 pretty nice 18MP stills at 1/60s and ISO3200. But I quickly learned that this software really doesn't like TIFF files (it crashes). The weather has been quite bad ever since, so thankfully I also took some video, which I was able to process with registax 6.1:

Posted Image

I'm quite pleased for a first effort although I feel it could be better. The video was taken at 1080p on my Canon T3i, using EP projection through a Baader Hyperion 8mm with the 14mm fine-tuning ring (so, 6mm EP focal lentgh). The scope is an Orion XT8g.

I converted to AVI using Quicktime Pro 7 on my Mac. I then transferred the video to my PC for processing in registax. I used about 500 frames from a 2200 frame video. Then transferred the still back to photoshop for some light noise reduction, final level editing, cropping, and conversion to jpg.

One thing I missed is that I wasn't using crop mode for the video. If I do that, will I get better resolution? Other than that, I'm not sure what I might try to improve next time. If you have suggestions, please share.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:04 AM

That is really good and especially if it's first Saturn.

Some improvement;
- lower ISO to reduce noice.
get higher frame rate.
I just looked and it seems that T3i doesn't have actual crop video , just digital zoom which is not so good for planetary shooting.
See:
http://www.astropix....ixel_Resolut...

Traditionally it's more common to use barlows instead of eyepiece but if it works...

#3 ohata0

ohata0

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hawaii, USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

wow, that's nice.

if you have a laptop, you can use EOS camera movie record (it's free) to record video with live view x5...it's not perfect 1:1 (for your camera), but it's close (as stated in the link above).

here's an example
Posted Image
stacked a few pics, cropped 100%. it's noisy because i had to max out my ISO to get a decent shutter speed for my *BLEEP* tripod.
Posted Image
used EOS camera movie record (live view x5) and took a few videos. used pipp to crop and center and extract frames from the video to bmp (my registax didn't like tiff files that much either), which i loaded into and stacked in registax. individual video frames pretty much looked like that first picture (except i didn't really get the best focus though for the video).

Stacking is a lot easier and quicker with video, and recording with live view x5 gives you about the same image size. it's pretty cool.

#4 Coliwabl

Coliwabl

Viking 1

• Loc: Dallas, Oregon, USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

Nicely done!

#5 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the tips, and the compliments.

Here are two 1:1 crops of the best of the RAW 18MP stills I took, one at each of two different exposures. These are single-exposure, unprocessed photos, straight off the camera, cropped and converted to jpg. I'm quite proud of these and would love to find a way to try processing them (I have about 20 of these, but these two were the best). Any ideas? Maybe I could try making a video from the stills? Someone mentioned registax handles bmp better than tiff - should I convert them and try that first? Converting to video implies compression and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 fco_star

fco_star

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas, Midland

Posted 06 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi, you may want to upload your data for the guys to start playing with it. You will see what others can do with it.
Your pictures are really good!

#7 srosenfraz

srosenfraz

Skylab

• Loc: United States

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

Very nice looking Saturn - good colors and some nice resolution as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics