• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cloudking

cloudking

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DUTCHESS COUNTY, NY USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:53 AM

does any one know the size of the Allen wrench to adjust the reticle on the polar scope? and where to get one? HELP. :confused:

#2 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

I spent a lot of time adjusting mine. Never did get an Allen key for it. Just used a tiny jeweler's flat head. The kind usually used to tighten eyeglass screws.

Not ideal but worked fine for me.

#3 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:26 AM

There is a long thread on this thing on CN at this link. A CN member stated in the link that the size Allen key required is 0.035 inches.

#4 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

There is also a paper, authored by Harold Leinbach in the files section of the Yahoo Losmandy user group on adjusting this thing. I think you have to join to access it.
Title of the paper is "Testing and Adjusting The Losmandy Polar Finder." It is a simple .txt file and you'l need to open it with a word processor that will format it with proper LF and CR spacing. I'd supply the link here but it just doesn't seem to work. Likely more than you ever wanted to know about this thing. If you want it, and can't find it at Yahoo, PM me and I'll attach the .txt file and send it to you by email.

Adjusting the Losmandy PAS became a fetish of mine! :)

#5 MikeCatfin

MikeCatfin

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ, USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:20 AM

the allen wrench is .035 and I got mine at McMasters when I was replacing the reticle. Just remember that when making adjustments to loosen one side first before tightening the opposite screw or you will crack the reticle; and don't overtighten - just enough to basically make contact.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics