• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Sent payment for a early 80s duplex,pictures and owner description show it to be in great shape. Hopefully it will arrive in once piece ( well let's start with I am hopeful it will Arrive :))
I sold off my scopes to pay for some college bills, so this will be my all round, travel,solar and planet scope.
Will post pics when it gets here.
Keith

#2 JMKarian

JMKarian

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northwestern PA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Wormstar
I believe you will find the Duplex to be a wonderfully crafted instrument for both terrestrial and celestial usage. I'll attach it to my Gitzo Tripod with a QR plate, and watch a cardinal at a feeder - 70 feet away - and appreciate a glint of setting sunlight revealing details of the bird's iris/pupil. 3 hours later - Saturn - wonderfully resolved in crisp detail. The fit and finish of the scope is not only a treat from an observers visual point-of-view, but a gem from a mechanical and purely cosmetic and tactile sense. Oh what a contribution Lawrence Braymer has made.

Enjoy!

#3 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

I will be pretty happy to get my hands on a keeper, I'm glad you mentioned birds, I used to use my tv85 all the time on my deck watching the birds.
Keith

#4 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

My duplex arrived last night. I am quite pleased with its condition. It's in real nice shape. I was also pleased to see that it's in a leather case. It was listed as leather, but I was expecting vinyl. I am going to ship off for service, power glide ii upgrade, and am going to have the moon map added to the barrel(along with a new dew shield)
The original dew shield is loose and has a few marks, along with a scrape on the barrel. It's fairly cheap to have the barrel map replaced when it's getting serviced.
I will post some before and after pics.

#5 R Botero

R Botero

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Great news - glad it arrived safely. Post pictures ASAP. Enjoy!

Roberto

#6 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Well not much point in posting pics. I bought another later model duplex. I had a blast playing with the Q today and yesterday, but decided I wanted to spend the extra dollars to get a pristine example.
The new duplex should be here early next week. Was a lot more money, but has new broadband optics and it is cherry.

#7 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

I am a bit confused as what I need to use my canon EOS camera with a Q, I realize I need the eos specific ring, but does that connect directly to the camera coupler.

#8 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:38 PM

Well not much point in posting pics. I bought another later model duplex. I had a blast playing with the Q today and yesterday, but decided I wanted to spend the extra dollars to get a pristine example.
The new duplex should be here early next week. Was a lot more money, but has new broadband optics and it cherru.

Will you be parting company with the 1980s duplex ?

#9 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Yes, I listed it on another well known astro site.

#10 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:19 AM

Yes, I listed it on another well known astro site.

Can you provide a link or tell us which site ?
I've been looking for a 3.5" Questar as a travel scope. It would be a nice compliment to our Q7 LWT.
As many members follow the Questar Forum, have you considered posting it for sale here on Cloudy Nights ?
This is where I've made my major purchases for preowned equipment.

#11 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

Mike, I sent you a pm. I assumed it was poor taste to link to another site. It's on Astromart.
The duplex I am selling would make a good travel scope, as it is not a museam piece.

#12 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:43 AM

..... I am going to ship off for service, power glide ii upgrade, and am going to have the moon map added to the barrel(along with a new dew shield).....

Just read your PM and checked out the listing on CN (page 5 of Catadioptrics) that you mentioned. The add mentioned the Questar was missing the power cord. When I looked at your post here again, I noted that I misread it (:bigblush:) as you were going to..... "ship it off for service of the powerguide", and not to "add" a powerguide unit.
I would like to purchase a Questar that already has the Powerguide feature. Adding a Powerguide II would incur more expense than I wish to undertake as a refit, also, a New Case would be required as the conversion would not fit in the original; but Thank You for the reply.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics