Adobe PS CS6 the end?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

Saw this on dpreview and was wondering who will support newer raw files from new cameras once Adobe cuts support for PS CS6:
http://www.dpreview....enses-as-cre...

I ask this since renting from the cloud is just not my cup of tea. How about creating tiffs in advance? Any thoughts?

Clear skies

#2 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

DeepSkyStacker will still support new RAW formats as updates to DCRAW are made. does it matter if PS can't open new raw files directly?

it's a good time to try pixinsight :)

#3 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:55 PM

Lightroom ("cheap") and Adobe stand alone RAW to DNG converter (free)

#4 zerro1

zerro1

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Smokey Point , 48.12°N 122.25°W Elevation:512 ft

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

as far as astro use, it's a non-issue. Adobe is only useful after calibration/stacking, so RAW is no longer present. As far as Canon cameras are concerned you can view make some adjustments, and transfer to photoshop in the form of Tif already, in the Canon supplied software.

#5 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm leaning towards PixInsight myself.

http://pixinsight.com/

#6 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

what's somewhat interesting is that as a Lightroom user i received a survey a month back or so that was very complicated and seemed to be trying to justify charging yearly updates for lightroom, similar to what they've done with photoshop, etc.

i guess it was unpopular since they (for now anyway) have left Lightroom pricing alone.

#7 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

I'm sure Adobe scientists are busy figuring out planned obsolescence for Lightroom also. : ) It's a whole 'nuther ballgame at $120 though, compared with $700-$2500. At those prices, it's unbelievable they would end up with Photoshop CS3 for example unable to open a 6D file. Will never buy another super expensive Adobe product. Which, I would think, is their plan: lots... and lots... of subscribers.

#8 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:27 PM

well lightroom 5 is upon us (the first public beta is out) so hopefully it's too late for them to make the switch to a subscription model. although i've upgraded each version of lightroom since it came out, i really chafe at the yearly subscription model and i don't think i'd bite.

#9 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

"Adobe has said it will no longer be developing its Creative Suite range of software, leaving its subscription and cloud-based Creative Cloud as the only way of accessing the latest version of Photoshop"
from dpreview

#10 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: USA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:02 AM

Doesn't sound very sound decision/s by adobe, the subscription model and the cloud based apps. There could be more going on behind the scenes but surely doesn't look like a good decision at this time. Thx

#11 jwheel

jwheel

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Davis TX

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

I'm leaning towards PixInsight myself.

http://pixinsight.com/

I highly recommend PI.

Joe Wheelock

#12 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:46 PM

Subscription. :thumbsdown:

Am I the only one who sees no point for the cloud except profitability for Adobe?

Let me rephrase that... Do any customers think this is a good thing?

If the business world could only get onboard with GIMP.

#13 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

Does this cloud model support 3rd plarty plugins like GradientXTerminator ??

#14 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

i think the "cloud" name is just bandwagoning. as far as i know the software still runs on your computer. it's just that a license check is performed against their servers and if you don't have a current subscription, no soup for you!

they do provide some storage in their cloud but i think the name just sounded better than "adobe opens your wallet"

#15 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

t's just that a license check is performed against their servers and if you don't have a current subscription, no soup for you!

I would think it's more than that or the software will be hacked to bypass the server checks.

#16 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Don't the current versions of CS already check the server to make sure it's a licensed copy?

#17 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:44 PM

I love the Adobe ads.... only $29 a month for everything!!!

Yeah... for the like 1% of people out there who are current students at a listed college.

#18 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:42 PM

I checked out their FAQ.....

This is what I got out of it.

You need an internet connection (and a license) to download and install the software on your computer. At that point the software is actually installed, quite similar to what is being done now.

Once a month, they check, and let you continue to use the software if you are paid for the month.

You do not need to be connected to the internet to use the software. You can go 180 days before you need to check in again. (Apparently, the software will run without checking in-- signing in to the internet-- for 180 days.)

Whenever you sign on, they update your software, so you always have the latest.

I do not like the plan. First off, I do not think it is actually "Cloud" computing, which I always thought was where the computing was actually done in the remote server, your own computer acting more like a terminal than a computer. But that is a semantic quibble, and may well be very wrong on the point.

But it is also very expensive. It may be cost effective if you are one of the people who need the latest and greatest. But for those of us who can go years on whatever edition we are using, it does not make economic sense. On the other hand, so many people have pirated that software, I can see why they want to do something to get it under control.

Alex

#19 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

Is PS Elements also part of the "Creative Suite" ? I'll just be using PS6 to the bitter end until the OS no longer supports it. I don't get this whole cloud trend. Too much of a privacy risk for me.

#20 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

I do not like the plan. First off, I do not think it is actually "Cloud" computing, which I always thought was where the computing was actually done in the remote server, your own computer acting more like a terminal than a computer. But that is a semantic quibble, and may well be very wrong on the point.

Alex

That is what I understand cloud computing to be. You would access it over a basic app or web browser. My experiences are that they are extremely limited and I am skeptical of consumer cloud computing.

For business, it may make sense in regards to data security and real time accessibility. This doesn't appear to be that, though.

I only saw one reference to true cloud computing in regards to this...

FTA
It also says it will allow the addition of processor-intensive features, such as Camera Shake Reduction tool, where the work can be conducted in the cloud.

Maybe they are just substituting the word "cloud" with the word "subscription" because it's more palatable.

#21 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

it's not really cloud computing. it's just that everyone is using the name "cloud" right now and it's trendy. basically if you subscribe then you get to use any of the creative cloud software whenever you want by downloading it to your computer.

perhaps over time they will push very compute-intensive things into the cloud, like the camera shake thing. but the computation has to be short enough on their servers to amortize the upload and download of the data, or else it makes no sense.

i really don't see this - i regularly run 25-50 iteration deconvolutions on large images using pixinsight and on an 8-core, 4ghz machine the computation is done in a minute or two. i think it would take just that long to upload the image and download it with current US broadband speeds.

#22 ewave

ewave

Apollo

• Loc: northwest NJ

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

ok, so what raw support does PI offer?

#23 s58y

s58y

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern NY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I was hoping to upgrade to Photoshop CS6 or CS7 later this year, once I get running on Windows 8 (or 7). Now, it looks like Adobe is going to cater more to real pro's who can justify the subscription fees, so Photoshop is no longer a realistic option for casual users like me.

I'll just stick to CS5 for now, as long as it runs on the my version of Windows. I'm guessing it won't work for very long, though.

I suppose I'll have to start investigating PixInsight as a replacement for astrophotos -- I've been meaning to look into this for years, but I'll have to get more serious now.

Other forums have been mentioning GIMP for general photo processing, now that PS is going away.

#24 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

I am with you; that's not what cloud computing really is. Apps running locally is a good thing which really means status quo from processing perspective (if we all are reading this correctly) and makes sense since processor intensive apps like CS ought to be running locally anyway. They seem to have 'clouded' the issue with terminology jargon. Thx

#25 mmalik

mmalik

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

But it is also very expensive. It may be cost effective if you are one of the people who need the latest and greatest. But for those of us who can go years on whatever edition we are using, it does not make economic sense. On the other hand, so many people have pirated that software, I can see why they want to do something to get it under control.

Couldn't agree more; one option for folks not liking subscription (which is pretty much everyone) is to buy say CS6 (student edition if feasible) under current licensing scheme and stick to it for years to come to avoid having to come under subscription umbrella. This will not be a viable option though for those who would want the latest and greatest as Adobe upgrades versions in the future. Thx

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics