LX 90 Power

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce N

Bruce N

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

What is the best way to supply power to the LX90 (Batteries, AC to DC adaptor, powertank/car batteries)?

#2 Texano78704

Texano78704

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

For me it depends on the location of the scope. If you are near an AC power source and inclined to use a power cord of sufficient length, then an AC/DC adapter would be the easiest.

I usually observe mostly from my backyard and the best spot (with least obstruction from trees) is over fifty feet from the back door where the nearest AC outlet is located. So, I prefer to use a old 12 volt lead acid mower battery. With a 20 amp hour capacity, it will last more than enough time, since I only spent an hour or two at a time. It's easy to recharge, has a built in carrying handle and weighs maybe 10 pounds.

#3 eliasx1

eliasx1

Sputnik

• Loc: Chicago suburbs

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I like to use C batteries. No cables, no bulky power supply or heavy battery, no mess. Simplicity gives me less headaches.

#4 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Apollo

• Moderators

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

One thing you will never have with batteries is a voltage spike that takes out the controller. Most people use a surge protector for their PC for this very reason. With batteries you know exactly what you have and you are protecting your equipment. The question that needs answering is what size of battery and that depends on scope usage.

#5 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

I use a Celestron power pack with a car cord.

#6 rcdk

rcdk

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:53 AM

C cell batteries. They last quite a while as long as the temperatures are well above freezing.

Remote astronomy sites tend not to have very clean power.

#7 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:48 PM

Mobility scooter/Power Wheelchair Battery 12V 35 aH is what I use for all my scopes...

most have handles...most are gel filled and sealed and most are about the size of a lawn mower battery...

These can be found for FREE as most users replace their batteries every year because they do not want to get stranded at the shopping mall...

Bob G.

#8 clmbr256

clmbr256

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

The power tanks, including models from Asto companies such as Celestron tend to have extras in them that add little astronomical value such as radios, air compressors, flashlights, car boosting etc. These features are of little or no value during observation and simply add weight and cost.

12 volt sealed lead acid or gel batteries are the way to go. I use a dedicated 7 amp hour battery to run my scope, and extra batteries including larger capacity models to run the dew heaters. The 7AH battery gets me through at least three nights before I worry about its charge level.

One thing I do is install a 3A fuse on it. 3A is not a lot, and I do that on purpose. My LX200 has a lot of torque which is capable of damaging cords and attachments during slewing if they get stuck. While I try to be very careful, having a fuse that blows before damage occurs covers any oversight that I make.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics