• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Wisconsin

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Just received an email from Astronomics that they just got a delivery of the 10" LX600 I ordered and will be shipping it out to ME later today!

Happy days soon to come. I hope.

Terry

#2 DrOxygen

DrOxygen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Congrats! You do realize that as one of the first to receive a 10" you are bound by the rules :rules: to provide pictures and a full report! :lol:

Wish you the best of luck. I have a 10" on order as well. Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.

#3 herrointment

herrointment

Skylab

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:33 PM

It'll be a stunner I bet.

Best of luck....and photos are mandatory!

#4 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Photo shall be forthcoming.
Now does anyone have suggestions how I can camouflage this scope to look close to my 8" LX200GPS so the wife doesn't find out how much money I spent?

Terry

#5 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

Just tell her you did some remodeling. :)
Brian

#6 zjc26138

zjc26138

Loved By All

• Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Congrats on the new scope. Can't wait to see pics of it!

#7 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:54 PM

Grats! Hope you have better luck than the guy who did the LX600 unboxing videos on youtube.

#8 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

I am hoping the same thing. I did see on Meade's forum that he is getting a replacement OTA, though. His vendor helped him out there.

#9 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Grats! Hope you have better luck than the guy who did the LX600 unboxing videos on youtube.

I didn't perceive that he had such bad luck. The fit and finish, from what I can tell in the (excellent) video, are comparable to what Meade did with the RCX400 seven years ago: OTA pretty good, fork and tripod so-so at best. The important thing is that the scope works reliably. If it does, I believe Meade will have a winner.

One cautionary note? Based on the person who did the video's experience, the 12 may be too much for the mount in EQ mode. The 10-inch will no doubt be the sweet spot, just as it was IMHO for the RCX--at least for imagers. Should the wedge/fork have been beefier? Probably. But that would have meant more weight and more $$$ for an expensive (as SCTs go) line. How about the 14? Imaging-wise it would be too much given that what this person says about the behavior of the 12 is accurate. For visual? Mounted in alt-az, either the 12 or 14 would be considerably more stable than on a wedge. That's the nature of wedges and fork mount scopes.

As to whether, fit and finish issues aside, the scope is worth the money? Way too early to tell. ;)

#10 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

The Fedex tracking info says I should get it tomorrow (Thursday). :-)

Terry

#11 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:51 PM

We'll all be anxious to hear your impressions, Terry!

#12 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Astronomics still showing as pre order. Cant wait to hear ur observations. Telescopes.com called & said they spoke with Meade & have a few 10" scopes enroute to them & expect to ship mine by the middle of next week. It'll be real when i get a shipping conf number like u. Fingers crossed.

#13 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

I hope these scopes work out great for you guys. :)

#14 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

If Meade offered a kit that would allow those of us with the LX850 systems to switch out on a whim to the fork mount, I would seriously consider it.

#15 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

Meaning having both LX850 and LX600 mounts?

I would certainly go for that too! Though, the 14" OTA is still a bit huge.

#16 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Apollo

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

Meaning having both LX850 and LX600 mounts?

I would certainly go for that too! Though, the 14" OTA is still a bit huge.

Well yes? Sorta. What I mean is as an LX850 owner I'd already have most of what I'd need. Just need the forks, the brackets and... well if they had a menu item in the computer to change from EQ to AZ then I'd be able to re-use my computer box too and hand controller.

Why would I even want one? If I knew ahead of time I'd be using it for visual purposes I'd probably set it up with forks. But if the cost was insane I'd just buy a second telescope and mount. Which is what I did.

#17 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Sorry I haven't posted sooner. I don't have much put together yet. Did a *BLEEP* thing. Later on that.
I pulled the tripod out and set it up. What a hunk of metal. Much bigger than my tripod for my 8" LX200GPS and much bigger than I thought. Was hoping it would fit on my JMI wheeley bars but not even close.
Pulled the X-wedge out and put that aside.
Opened the LX600 box. Tears (of joy) almost came to my eyes. What a beautiful thing. Started checking the boxes and bags that work in the OTA box. Put this here and that there. Did not bother taking the OTA out. My back wouldn't take it.
Waited for my son to get home to give me a hand. First thing was to put the X-wedge on the tripod. Here is where the *BLEEP* thing starts.
Couldn't find the parts to install the wedge. Looked in the wedge box. Looked in the OTA box. Nowhere. Sh&t!
Sent Astronomics an email and I called Meade. They would send me out the new parts kit when I sent faxed or emailed my proof-of-purchase. Astronomics emailed me back that they passed this on to their rep and I would be getting an email or call from him.
Back out to the garage and waited. Looked at the X-wedge a bit closer and noticed that Azimuth control bar was bent. Not too happy about that.
So my son and I decided to just mount the scope in alt/az for now. Up it went. Then we noticed that went we turned the scope on it's base it did not turn smoothly. After some tinkering we noticed that if we took the RA slow motion control knob off it turn smooth. Put it back on and it was ruff. Looked closer at the RA slow motion control and it looks like the bar that the knob is attached to is not centered causing the knob to rub. And it seems that the bar was off centered intentionally that way. No idea why on that. Did some adjusting on how the knob sat and things are better.
Decided that was enough for the day and packed things up. Guess what? Found the wedge mounting kit. (All red faced!!) Sent an email back to Astronomics begging for forgiveness.
Son is gone for the weekend so I thought I would give it a shot on my own. Not too brilliant am I?
Took the scope off the tripod. What a beast. Before I mounted the wedge I thought I would make a bit of an adjustment to the bent bar. Amazing what a little persuasion will do. It is now fairly straight. Got the X-wedge mounted. Like the person on Meade4m site the bolt holes had some finish in the threads that needed cleaning. X-wedge is now mounted.
Decided to check the weight of the OTA, forks and base. The dang thing comes in at over 81 pounds. Don't know if my back will take lifting that much weight. Kind of procrastinating right now. My weak mind is telling me to go for it.
May just split the forks and give it a go later. Cloudy for a few days so I am in no hurry.

Terry

#18 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

"Don't know if my back will take lifting that much weight. Kind of procrastinating right now. My weak mind is telling me to go for it."

Don't do it!

#19 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

Isn't the idea to install the fork/base combo and then the OTA making it easier to assemble and lighter? Lifting the entire kit seems to defeat the purpose of the design.

#20 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

And dangerous!

#21 DrOxygen

DrOxygen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Best of luck with your scope, take it slow and savor the moment. I ordered the 10" as well once someone posted the weight of the 12". Even with the fork/OTA and base separated, it was above what I thought I could do alone. Went with the 10" and plan to separate the two into two more manageable pieces. Mine is due next week. Wish me luck!

#22 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:19 AM

Were you able to snap any pics of the scope or any issues u were having?

#23 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

DrOxygen, where did u order your scope from if i may ask?

#24 DrOxygen

DrOxygen

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

I ordered from Hight Point Scientific. I was just surfing around and they had one in stock so I pulled the trigger. In reality it was being drop shipped from CA. Shipped in two days, and it's on it's way. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. :yay:

#25 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:23 PM

Will try to get pics out later today.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics