Photo

10" LX600 being shipped

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:07 PM

Wonder how many 10"er's are out now? Telescopes.com called today & said they had mine ready to ship. Hopefully it will go out tomorrow. Dont know why it doesnt show shipped today. I plan to try to video its initial unpacking & initial setup.

#52 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Wisconsin

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

Almost had mine out tonight. However, the next storm front was coming in too fast. Thursday night is predicted to clear up.

Terry

#53 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Apollo

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:23 PM

Just for info, what is the firmware version in the scopes???

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#54 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Andrew,
I have version 1.1e

Terry

#55 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Gday Terry

Ooohh, i was expecting them to extend the old 4.2g, but 1.1e sounds more like the LX850 code numbering .
Just for info, does it still have SMT and Satellites functionality???
I haven't got a copy of the firmware yet, so cant tell.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#56 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:08 AM

Andrew,

I don't see anything in the manual about SMT. Doesn't mean it isn't there. I will check the next time I fire up the LX600. The manual still has satellite section but I have not done anything with that yet.

Terry

#57 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

I did get to set up the LX600 outside last night for the first time. Here are a few pics.

Posted Image
This is my son doing a rough align.

Posted Image
This is the first photo. My son took it with his 7D.

Posted Image

Here is a pic of M13.
Canon 7D
120 seconds
ISO 800
Used APT (First timed I used it. Don't know what I am doing yet.)
Moon a few days away from being full. Lots of humidity. In a red zone, too.
Yes I know there are star trails. Lots of sky glow. No PEC training and no drift aligning performed.

#58 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

Used HPP with the Starlock and it put things pretty much dead center. When doing a goto to the moon the Starlock actually tries to find the center. I need to play with the Starlock utility a bit because I could not figure out how to bring up a view of what the Starlock was seeing.

Terry

#59 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

Used HPP with the Starlock and it put things pretty much dead center. When doing a goto to the moon the Starlock actually tries to find the center. I need to play with the Starlock utility a bit because I could not figure out how to bring up a view of what the Starlock was seeing.

Terry

Plug the r232 cable into the back of the Starlock. The com port will be the same as if it were connected directly to the telescope. In fact, you can control the telescope through Starlock.

Bring up the utility. Select com port and then click on the option you want. Focus downloads "still" shots so you can tweak focus if you think it is off. Watch just shows a live view of what Starlock is tracking. Histogram shows the corrections. And Point spread function shows you the star as it tracks and lets you see if it is out of round and in which direction.

#60 bigj

bigj

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

Very nice pics
enjoy

#61 galaxy_jason

galaxy_jason

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

If you are getting star trails with Starlock guiding the aggressiveness is probaly too high. With proper PEC and polar alignment you should be in the 10% range, default is 66%. There is a routine to automatically set it but you may want to tweek it.

That version of the PEC training is old. The new, as yet unreleased version, has some significant changes. My experience is that it does better than PEMPro. In fairness to PEMPro, it doesn't currently support direct mount write to the PEC table of the LX850. If it did they should be about equal.

#62 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

I tried to use the utility without rtfm. Amazing what you can learn from reading. :-)

Terry

#63 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

I tried to use the utility without rtfm. Amazing what you can learn from reading. :-)

Terry

I find that I need to slide the contrast slider to the right and increase exposure quite a bit in order to see what I want to see.

#64 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Thanks Jason and Mike. Hopefully, the clouds will part again tomorrow night.

#65 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

I just got confirmation that mine is on truck for delivery tomorrow. Got dining room cleared out & ready. Read the manual about a dozen times. Will use a T3I for imaging but expect at least a couple days to get to that point. Bought the zero image focuser & a 13mm Nagler togo with it. Cant wait!

#66 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 09:51 PM

CryhavOc,

Let me know if you have problems with the Azimuth slow motion control knob like I did. Also, I could not get the 3/8" hex screw the goes into the mounting slot to go in all the way. Same problem with the centering mounting bolt.

Terry

#67 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

I got mine setup and began aligning and wouldnt you know some clouds would cause probs? I did manage to get a few things done though.

The center wedge bolts on mine wernt gunked up. They were machined to tight tolerances forcing u to pay attention during installation. No biggie.

No prob w Az slo mo knob. I did see one of the hex screws are longer than others. I used the shorter for primary mount & longer one in conjunction with reg one and all fit fine w no probs.

One of the plastic screws on 8x50 for columnation was not just stripped but had practically no threads. Will need to contact Meade for another. Made do & was very gentle as not to jostle it once set.

Did one star polar for setup. Atmospheric was awful & polaris difficult even using iPad & software. What impressed me was Starlock. I did a goto Moon for my son & it auto recentered. Made me curious so i went to Regulus & it nailed it even after my less than precise setup attempts. It also took oportunity to recenter again. There are additional features to take this further but im still learning.

My wife & i set this up from unboxing to waiting for nightfall in a tad over 3 hours. I am VERY glad i went with 10". Theres no way id want to set this up alone. I could but i'd dread it. Easier & real quik with second pair of hands.

Wish this sleep stuff wouldnt get in way. I have worlds to explore!

#68 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

I need to contact Meade! While out last night, my son was turning the scope to confirm the hard stops. On one side it "caught" on something just before one of the hard stops. Then while turning to the other hard stop it "caught" again at the center point. Feels like it is hitting something loose in the base. A little P.O.'d right now.

Terry

#69 DrOxygen

DrOxygen

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

One of the plastic screws on 8x50 for columnation was not just stripped but had practically no threads. Will need to contact Meade for another. Made do & was very gentle as not to jostle it once set.

I had the exact same issue with my finder scope. Plastic screw was completely stripped. Luckily I had a spare set from a very old Meade scope replaced them all with the old set and they worked like a champ.

Unfortunately I've had nothing but clouds and rain since I took delivery. I agree with you I'm happy I went with the 10" rather than a 12". There are nights I will have to setup by myself that is of course if these clouds will ever leave.

#70 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 24 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

Just put up a few pic's in hopes it could help someone out. They're located here:

http://www.skyvikings.com/lx600/

#71 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

What are the blue things on the arms? Can the arms come apart so they can be lengthened with spacers?

-Rich

#72 Mike7Mak

Mike7Mak

Apollo

• Loc: New York

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:04 PM

What are the blue things on the arms? Can the arms come apart so they can be lengthened with spacers?

-Rich

Heh, yes and no. They are flange plates that let you separate the scope from the base. No you don't want to put spacers in there. Increasing the moment arm on the RA axis probably wouldn't be a good idea.

#73 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

I can see where it could be done but I don't see anything within the instructions regarding doing it. Besides, it's not THAT hairy putting it on the wedge by yourself, (which is the only reason I can figure someone would do it). It can be done...I just don't want to. I'll go find help. It would also elongate setup time.

#74 Cryhav0c

Cryhav0c

Sputnik

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:56 PM

I see in the apendix that there is a section regarding seperating the scope from the forks. It does suggest breakdown if weight presents a problem.

#75 Bluto69

Bluto69

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

I have separated the forks a couple of times. Don't Luke that you can lock one of the OTA forks and not the other. The unlocked fork swings freely. Handles OK but I would prefer both forks could lock.

Terry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics