Pulled the Trigger *REVISED*

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#51 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Oh man, WTH! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.

You know I kinda had a poor experience with them recently too. I ordered a Baader clicklock 2" diagonal, which they said they had 6 in stock. 4 days go by and I get an email from them that the item is actually back-ordered and it will take 14-21 days to get it. Um... no.

I cancelled the order and bought from High Point Scientific and got it this morning... 2 days later!

At this point I'm crossing Adorama off of my list until they can get their act together.

Vote with your hard-earned $$$ folks.

#52 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Apparently there's a good reason you're not allowed to pump your own gasoline in New Jersey...

#53 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:58 PM

UPDATE: Adorama is overnighting a CGEM DX tripod to me at their expense for delivery tomorrow morning. I had to speak with a CS supervisor and explain the situation all over AGAIN to get that far. They still wouldn't ship without charging me for the replacement.

I'm not impressed. We'll see if the 3rd time's the charm. Perhaps I'll FINALLY be able to set up my 1100 HD tomorrow night but at this point I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, Adorama has definitely lost a customer.

#54 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Good luck, man! We're pulling for ya!

#55 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

FINALLY!!!!!!!

Attached Files

#56 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:53 PM

Setup was very simple...

Attached Files

#57 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

While the entire rig is heavy, the OTA is surprisingly light and easy to handle...

Attached Files

#58 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

I'm impressed with the quality of construction. The mount and controller powered up perfectly the very first time...

Attached Files

#59 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

The OTA...

Attached Files

#60 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Optics exhibit no swirls, dust, marks, or debris with the flashlight test. (I know, shouldn't do it) First light is tonight. Woo-hoo!!!

Attached Files

#61 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:29 PM

YAY! Damn, dude I thought my CGEM was big, that thing is monstrous!

#62 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:34 PM

It's a beast to be sure. Just think what the CGE Pro must be like. Yikes!

I'm just glad this ordeal is OVER, barring any issues at the eyepiece over the next few nights that is. Believe me, I'll be going over it with a fine-toothed comb. But really I'm just looking forward to observing with the scope! First target this evening will be Saturn, which is what got me hooked on this hobby so many years ago when I saw it for the first time through a cheap 60mm Tasco refractor from K-mart. :jump:

#63 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

When I watched the video of the CGE Pro and saw how tall it was I knew it was out, LOL!

I'm saving my pennies for an AP1100! Someday...

#64 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

Wow, look at the diameter of the counterweight shaft! I'm really noticing some big differences now.

#65 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

When I watched the video of the CGE Pro and saw how tall it was I knew it was out, LOL!

I'm saving my pennies for an AP1100! Someday...

I think you'd better shoot for the regular saving of a higher denomination than the penny if you want that beast. :grin:

#66 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Awesome rig. Hope that you have first light really soon.

#67 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

First light is tonight Clay. I'm looking forward to putting the mount through it'spaces and checking out Saturn, the Moon, and a few other objects. The moonlight and my light-polluted location (metro Phoenix) will be limiting factors, but I'll manage to enjoy myself anyway. :)

#68 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Well, then look at the Moon! And Saturn should still look great. The Hercules Cluster is nearly straight up around midnight right now and looks wonderful. :)

I've found that the better you polar align the scope, the better the Go-Tos and tracks are. I have seen objects "centering" at the edge of the FOV when I don't get it dead-on. Its not a big deal for visual use because you can easily center them again, but they will drift away if you want to view for a while. For imaging, it'll be an issue... So much to learn!

I ordered the Celestron polar scope last night, hopefully that will help. I will let you know. :)

HAVE FUN!!!!!

#69 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:56 PM

I hope that the scope gives you great views through the eyepiece and the mount works as advertised. Hopefully this long ordeal will be worth it in the end.

Bill

#70 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Thanks Bill!

#71 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

Well, then look at the Moon! And Saturn should still look great. The Hercules Cluster is nearly straight up around midnight right now and looks wonderful. :)

I've found that the better you polar align the scope, the better the Go-Tos and tracks are. I have seen objects "centering" at the edge of the FOV when I don't get it dead-on. Its not a big deal for visual use because you can easily center them again, but they will drift away if you want to view for a while. For imaging, it'll be an issue... So much to learn!

I ordered the Celestron polar scope last night, hopefully that will help. I will let you know. :)

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Oh I will, and of COURSE I'm going to look at the Moon! I wasn't complaining. It's not like moonlight is going to ruin the pristine dark sky site that is downtown Phoenix. I'll make due, and I'll look forward to the four day trip I'm taking to the north rim of Grand Canyon on July 4th weekend. :)

As for tonight, right on queue, a bunch of thin high altitude clouds are moving in. No one is immune.

Definitely let me know what you think of the PA scope.

#72 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

Well, the clouds are making tonight's sunset absolutely beautiful! :lol:

#73 Momerath

Momerath

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate SC,

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

I hope you have a moon filter. I thought my eyes were gonna come out of my head when I looked at the moon without one in mine.

I have also come to realize one more short coming of the DX mount. It seems you can only get 22lb counterweights. I am attaching another small refracter to mine but could not find lighter counterweights that support the larger bore of the counterweight shaft. Since the load capacity of the mount is ~50lbs this would exceed capacity. You can always make something tho. Just something to think about.

Congrats on the new scope. I hope my earlier comments helped and were accurate.

#74 tim57064

tim57064

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

I hope you have a moon filter. I thought my eyes were gonna come out of my head when I looked at the moon without one in mine.

I have also come to realize one more short coming of the DX mount. It seems you can only get 22lb counterweights. I am attaching another small refracter to mine but could not find lighter counterweights that support the larger bore of the counterweight shaft. Since the load capacity of the mount is ~50lbs this would exceed capacity. You can always make something tho. Just something to think about.

Congrats on the new scope. I hope my earlier comments helped and were accurate.

My thoughts on a lighter counterweight. Why can you not get a lighter counterweight from celestron or where ever(used) and just make the hole larger by drilling it out to fit the larger diameter of the shaft? Just a thought.

#75 crow

crow

Messenger

• Loc: BC, Canada

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

Nice rig and great photo's. The DX is a beast for sure. The scope itself is great, especially when the seeing allows those 1100 optics to run. I'd say maybe get the rear vent fans from deep space products and maybe a better vis back, mine frustrated me a bit. That said the best night out with mine was the second night when I didn't have any of those things

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics